Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Forum crops instead of resizes images

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
THX1138b

Forum crops instead of resizes images

#1 Post by THX1138b »

I noticed the forum appears to crop instead of resizing images. I think this is only marginally better than simply rejecting the post and I suggested automatic resizing the images instead. I don't know how phpBB works under the hood but I think other phpBB forums have this functionality.
antiX 16, Wyse V90L thin client with VIA Eden 32-bit 800 MHz CPU and 1 GB 533 MHz DDR2
Raspberry Pi 3 B and 3 B+, both running Raspbian Stretch

We don't inherit the Earth from our parents; we borrow it from our children.

GarryRicketson

Re: Forum crops instead of resizes images

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxes
It really is very simple, most image storage sites have a option to
make a thumb nail, use it,
Or simply make your own (that is what I do)

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.parrotsandopenbsd.org/images/images/backyard-tmb.gif] [img]http://www.parrotsandopenbsd.org/images/images/backyard-tmb.gif[/img][/url] 
I don't know how phpBB works under the hood but I think other phpBB forums have this functionality.
Some do, but this board does not have that feature.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-09-20 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Another good one that provide a thumbnail link, plus various downsized image links, and does not require registration, is https://postimages.org/

Whoops, looks like their security certificate expired a couple hours ago. Wake up guys--hope they fix that soon.
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

read:
i'm too lazy to do this myself, why is this not automated like on facebook/iphone/whateverapp!

autoresizing images
  • is not what everybody wants/needs
  • puts a LOT of extra stress on the servers
  • means the images have to be stored on the server = lots of storage (and who's going to pay for that)
many people don't seem to realize that lots of text takes much less storage than just one image.
the whole bible can be downloaded with 4 - 5 MB - that's less than an average mobile phone .jpg.
i think the best solution would be to simply reject images beyond a certain file size.

THX1138b

#5 Post by THX1138b »

debiman wrote:read:
i'm too lazy to do this myself, why is this not automated like on facebook/iphone/whateverapp!

autoresizing images
  • is not what everybody wants/needs
  • puts a LOT of extra stress on the servers
  • means the images have to be stored on the server = lots of storage (and who's going to pay for that)
many people don't seem to realize that lots of text takes much less storage than just one image.
the whole bible can be downloaded with 4 - 5 MB - that's less than an average mobile phone .jpg.
i think the best solution would be to simply reject images beyond a certain file size.
Read: Everything was better in the 60s when you couldn't even connect to the Internet without manually dialing a telephone number. Lazy millennials are ruining everything with their always-on Internet connections and German efficiency. We should follow the Amish example!
antiX 16, Wyse V90L thin client with VIA Eden 32-bit 800 MHz CPU and 1 GB 533 MHz DDR2
Raspberry Pi 3 B and 3 B+, both running Raspbian Stretch

We don't inherit the Earth from our parents; we borrow it from our children.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

THX1138b wrote:Read: Everything was better in the 60s when you couldn't even connect to the Internet without manually dialing a telephone number. Lazy millennials are ruining everything with their always-on Internet connections and German efficiency. We should follow the Amish example!
i'll just quote this priceless piece of teenage ramblings to preserve it from any possible future edits.

Thorny

#7 Post by Thorny »

THX1138b wrote:Read: Everything was better in the 60s when you couldn't even connect to the Internet without manually dialing a telephone number.
Wow, you must be really old. Perhaps so old that your memory is faulty, in the 60s there wasn't an Internet.

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

^ i actually looked it up; the beginnings of the internet go back to the mid- late- sixties; not sure if they used phonelines back then, but it certainly wasn't better.

Thorny

#9 Post by Thorny »

debiman wrote:^ i actually looked it up; the beginnings of the internet go back to the mid- late- sixties; not sure if they used phonelines back then, but it certainly wasn't better.
Then it was not the Internet, certainly not the Internet as we know it today. It was a method for academics to collaborate. I was in University then.

debiman

#10 Post by debiman »

Thorny wrote:certainly not the Internet as we know it today.
that is certainly correct.

Thorny

#11 Post by Thorny »

Yup!

It was before "Google" became a verb. :-)

GarryRicketson

#12 Post by GarryRicketson »

stevepusser wrote:Another good one that provide a thumbnail link, plus various downsized image links, and does not require registration, is https://postimages.org/

Whoops, looks like their security certificate expired a couple hours ago. Wake up guys--hope they fix that soon.
It is working now, and they even have a feature that creates thumbnails, etc
automatically.
So does "imgur" .
I know, image resizing and creating thumb nails is extremely tedious, and complicated, can be time consuming.
That is why I read some documentation, and learned to use a few basic tools, so now all my images get resized automatically , and I don't need to depend on any forum software to do that.
That also is why most storage sites also offer a automatic method of creating
the thumb nails, and they all include documentation on using those features, for new users.
This forum is not intended to be a image storage site, there is
no reason we should have to do that for people that do not like to read instructions, and unfortunately we have not yet developed a technology that reads instructions, and the automatically follows them for those kind of people.
Maybe some day we will.