Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 9 auto-install hangs on dialog wide-dhcpv6-client

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Appelflap

Debian 9 auto-install hangs on dialog wide-dhcpv6-client

#1 Post by Appelflap »

I am trying to make an automated installation of Debian 9 (Stretch), however it "hangs" on the following process:

Code: Select all

dialog --backtitle Package configuration --title Configuring wide-dhcpv6-client --output-fd 11 -
I did some searching, but I think I need to use the command "debconf-set-selections", but I cannot find the correct command string to use with it. When I install Debian 9 manually, I can just continue (with leaving the input field empty).

I also read that setting "export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive" would help, but it doesn't help at all.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance...

marcetm

Re: Debian 9 auto-install hangs on dialog wide-dhcpv6-client

#2 Post by marcetm »

Subscribing t othis thread as I am very interested in this subject

luvr

#3 Post by luvr »

For an example of how to use the “noninteractive” front-end and the “debconf-set-selections” command, see my ServerFault post on How to set a locale non-interactively on Debian/Ubuntu. It may help you to make sense of these issues.

Appelflap

#4 Post by Appelflap »

Yeah found that (and tons of others), but didn't help with my issue with the dialog on wide-dhcpv6-client though.
That's why I created this forum post... Thank you nevertheless.

luvr

#5 Post by luvr »

Appelflap wrote:

dialog --backtitle Package configuration --title Configuring wide-dhcpv6-client --output-fd 11 -
I’m confused by this command line. What is it supposed to do? It looks very incomplete to me. Are you sure there’s nothing more to it?

Also, I wonder what the hyphen (“-”) at the end of the line is doing there. Taken at face value, I would suspect that it indicates that the standard input stream will be made to serve as some sort of input file to the program. Since, by default, the standard input stream is the console, perhaps the program is waiting for some input from you, at which point it will naturally seem to “hang”—at least until you provide it with the expected input. (To be honest, that’s a situation that I keep running into myself…)

Anyway, given my confusion, I’m afraid that’s all I can tell you without some more context to this code snippet.

Appelflap

#6 Post by Appelflap »

When I install it manually, I get a dialog screen and where simply pressing Okay/OK is enough; I don't need to fill it anything.
I will redo it when I have some time, currently mostly in the hospital (not for myself).

Appelflap

#7 Post by Appelflap »

Here is a more complete output:

root     19436 19428  0 16:44 pts/0    00:00:00 /usr/bin/dpkg --status-fd 29 --configure man-db:amd64 mlocate:amd64 wide-dhcpv6-client:amd64
root     19437 19436  6 16:44 pts/0    00:00:00 /usr/bin/perl -w /usr/share/debconf/frontend /var/lib/dpkg/info/wide-dhcpv6-client.postinst configure 20080615-12
root     19443 19437  0 16:44 pts/0    00:00:00 /bin/sh /var/lib/dpkg/info/wide-dhcpv6-client.config configure 20080615-12
root     19445 19437  0 16:44 pts/0    00:00:00 dialog --backtitle Package configuration --title Configuring wide-dhcpv6-client --output-fd 11 --nocancel --inputbox Network interfaces on which the DHCPv6 client sends requests should be  specified here. Multiple interfaces are separated with spaces. An empty line temporarily disables dhcp6c.  Interfaces on which the DHCPv6 client sends requests: 11 78
It needs to send an empty line to the dialog screen, so it will pass and continue. At leas that's what I do if I install everything manually.
I hope this provides some insight?

Appelflap

Better post and information provided.

#8 Post by Appelflap »

After redoing the installation by hand, I have more information, so therefor I am editing my post completely so it's better readable and hopefully someone can provide a workable solution or workaround for this issue.

I am using an OpenVZ container and was trying to do an automated install of Debian 9 (Stretch), however that failed for numerous reasons. So I am now doing it differently. I do an automated install of Debian 8 and after that I do an in-place upgrade to Debian 9.

If I do this manually it works, but when I do it automatically it hangs on two (2) different dialog screens. When I do it manually, then I am presented with 2 dialog screens. Both these screens are simply answered with an "ENTER"-press. I don't need to fill in anything. One is purely a warning about the older kernel, but pressing "ENTER" it will make the installation continue. The other dialog screen is about wide-dhcpv6-client. Also this screen can be passed by simply pressing "ENTER".

However during an automated installation, it hangs on both of these dialogs. Since you don't get a screen with an automated install, there is no way to continue. So it waits on input, before it can continue.

I have everything related two these issues noted down below.

The first time it hangs, is on the old kernel message:

root     10918 10890  0 16:15 pts/0    00:00:00 dialog --backtitle Package configuration --title Configuring libc6 --output-fd 11 --nocancel --msgbox Kernel version not supported  This version of the GNU libc requires kernel version 3.2 or later.   Older versions might work but are not officially supported. Please  consider upgrading your kernel. 11 75
This is purely a warning message (I cannot update the kernel, so that's not possible, because of the OpenVZ). If I run the update by hand (manually), I can simply pass this by pressing "ENTER". That's it.

The 2nd time it hangs is on wide-dhcpv6-client

root     19436 19428  0 16:44 pts/0    00:00:00 /usr/bin/dpkg --status-fd 29 --configure man-db:amd64 mlocate:amd64 wide-dhcpv6-client:amd64
    root     19437 19436  6 16:44 pts/0    00:00:00 /usr/bin/perl -w /usr/share/debconf/frontend /var/lib/dpkg/info/wide-dhcpv6-client.postinst configure 20080615-12
    root     19443 19437  0 16:44 pts/0    00:00:00 /bin/sh /var/lib/dpkg/info/wide-dhcpv6-client.config configure 20080615-12
    root     19445 19437  0 16:44 pts/0    00:00:00 dialog --backtitle Package configuration --title Configuring wide-dhcpv6-client --output-fd 11 --nocancel --inputbox Network interfaces on which the DHCPv6 client sends requests should be  specified here. Multiple interfaces are separated with spaces. An empty line temporarily disables dhcp6c.  Interfaces on which the DHCPv6 client sends requests: 11 78
I can also pass this dialog, when I do the installation by hand (manually), by simply pressing "ENTER".

I also took 2 screenshots of both issues below.

- Kernel message dialog: https://i.imgur.com/26eD8uq.jpg
- wide-dhcpv6-client dialog: https://i.imgur.com/7IZD4ki.jpg

In both cases (when installing it manually) pressing "ENTER" is sufficient, or by selecting "OK" ofcourse.

I already tried many things to avoid these dialog screens during an automated install, but failed so far. I am really clueless here.

For example I tried several things with the option "debconf-set-selections" but no luck. Also I tried setting the installation to "noninteractive", but still the same results. All other options, questions, etc. are passed without issues, only these two dialogs.

I hope someone can provide a solution or a workaround for this.

Appelflap

#9 Post by Appelflap »

* small bump *

Appelflap

#10 Post by Appelflap »

* another small bump *