installation, Debian instead of Fedora, GRUB(2)

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

installation, Debian instead of Fedora, GRUB(2)

Postby goldov » 2017-09-27 14:23

Hi, i am a new-comer to Debian. recently i installed Fedora 26 but it came with many errors (installation, network, region is not supported etc.). this is why i would like to move to the latest working version of Debian. at the moment i have double boot - Windows 7 and Fedora 26. when i boot the computer it shows me GRUB menu to choose either Fedora or Windows 7. after researching about Debian, i have questions - 1) can i reinstall Debian instead of Fedora ? 2) what is the safest way to install Debian in order to keep Windows 7 working ? 3) does Debian install GRUB(2) menu ? 4) will i see both Debian and Windows 7 in GRUB(2) boot menu ? 5) if Debian installs GRUB(2), then will Fedora disappear from GRUB(2) menu ? Thanks.
goldov

Re: installation, Debian instead of Fedora, GRUB(2)

Postby goldov » 2017-09-27 14:54

i will add a bid about my laptop - x64, 4GB RAM, Lenovo model. this is why i am interetsed in 64-bit version of Debian.
goldov

Re: installation, Debian instead of Fedora, GRUB(2)

Postby p.H » 2017-09-27 15:18

goldov wrote:1) can i reinstall Debian instead of Fedora ?

Yes.
goldov wrote:2) what is the safest way to install Debian in order to keep Windows 7 working ?

It depends whether your current installation boots in EFI or BIOS/legacy mode.
goldov wrote:3) does Debian install GRUB(2) menu ?

Yes.
goldov wrote:4) will i see both Debian and Windows 7 in GRUB(2) boot menu ?

Yes, if you set up Debian and GRUB to boot in the same mode as Windows.
goldov wrote:5) if Debian installs GRUB(2), then will Fedora disappear from GRUB(2) menu ?

Yes, if you remove Fedora from the drive.
p.H

Return to Installation