Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

User Switching on xfce

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
chronics

User Switching on xfce

#1 Post by chronics »

I am unable to get user switching to work either from the xfce menu item or from the lock screen. I was previously able to do this on gnome, I have tried with both lightdm and gdm dm. When clicking the xfce menu item , the desktop temporarily goes to a black screen then resumes my session, with xscreensaver the new login button just disables itself after I click it and with gnome-screensaver clicking switch user refreshes the screen then just prompts me for my password again. There doesnt seem to be anything in syslog, xorg, lightdm or xsession logs showing what is happening.Running dm-tool switch-to-greeter gives me error: Not running inside a display manager, XDG_SEAT_PATH not defined. Setting xdg_seat_path still gives me an error though. Note, I am running a dual screen setup with nvidia drivers and I have a feeling the nvidia drivers may be the cause, has anyone managed to get using switching working with nvidia drivers on xfce?

debian buster
xfce 4.12
nvidia 375.82

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: User Switching on xfce

#2 Post by arochester »

Code: Select all

apt install xfswitch-plugin
Xfswitch allows you to leave the current session opened and open a new
session with another user. It runs in the Xfce panel.

chronics

#3 Post by chronics »

I tried installing xfswitch-plugin but made no difference. I see in xsession-error logs mousepad: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0. for all open apps, this happens after I attempt to switch user and the screen goes blank.

chronics

#4 Post by chronics »

I noticed something interesting in the xsession-error logs. After attempting to switch user I had errors like the below for all apps

mousepad: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0

I also had

dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DISPLAY=:0
/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
xfce4-session-Message: SSH authentication agent is already running

However printenv gives me DISPLAY=:1.0

Could this be the new session starting on the wrong display, is there any config file I can edit to change this?
Thanks

Danielsan

#5 Post by Danielsan »

The previous switching method was provided by the old GDM and are not available anymore since Lightdm, possible solutions can be found here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xf ... greyed_out

chronics

#6 Post by chronics »

I switched back to gdm a while back due to a light-locker bug #868087.

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

^ so the problem is solved?

chronics

#8 Post by chronics »

No, it doesnt work with lightdm or gdm.

arzgi

#9 Post by arzgi »

I can confirm the same, xfce and lightdm. I noticed that selecting suspend will close session, and opens lightdm login screen. Dirty hack! :lol:

ozr

#10 Post by ozr »

I managed to get it working by using the command

Code: Select all

gdmflexiserver

Found it in the source code for xfce4-panel Action buttons, which was the only "switch user" button that worked.
You can put the command in the whisker menu here [Right click the whisker icon > Properties > Commands] and bind it to Super-L in [Settings Manager > Keyboard > Application Shortcuts]