Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

internet ip reseting. to often?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Dargor

internet ip reseting. to often?

#1 Post by Dargor »

I'm not with an isp that clam to give me a static ip or anything, but I keep getting disconnected from game servers, and i think this could be the reason. So I've made a script to check every 1/2 hour and from 6:30pm to 9pm its changed 7 times. I've just shortened the time to 10mins, ill leave it going all day tomorrow. I'm just wondering how often you guys think it should reset before i ring my isp and complain. OR is this somehow my fault.

If anyone's interested here's the script named ipcheck.sh

Code: Select all

date
wget -O - checkip.dyndns.org 2>/dev/null | cut -b77-90
sleep 10m
sh ~/ipcheck.sh
thanks to TonyT for that most usefull line.(wget...)

Fluenza

Re: internet ip reseting. to often?

#2 Post by Fluenza »

Dargor wrote: thanks to TonyT for that most usefull line.(wget...)
Is that Tony the Tiger? LOL! I thought he died years ago. LMFAO!!
Visualize, Describe, Direct (VDD)
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#3 Post by mzilikazi »

Dargor wrote:I'm not with an isp that clam to give me a static ip or anything, but I keep getting disconnected from game servers, and i think this could be the reason. So I've made a script to check every 1/2 hour and from 6:30pm to 9pm its changed 7 times. I've just shortened the time to 10mins, ill leave it going all day tomorrow. I'm just wondering how often you guys think it should reset before i ring my isp and complain. OR is this somehow my fault.

If anyone's interested here's the script named ipcheck.sh

Code: Select all

date
wget -O - checkip.dyndns.org 2>/dev/null | cut -b77-90
sleep 10m
sh ~/ipcheck.sh
thanks to TonyT for that most usefull line.(wget...)
Well I'm in the USA on a cable modem so not sure if this has any relevance to you or not but the only time my dynamic i.p. is ever changed is if I change interfaces on my end i.e. a new MAC address (differernt hardware). If I plug the modem directly into my pc I'll definitely get a new i.p. If I disconnect from router and replug the i.p. remains the same.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

GMouse

#4 Post by GMouse »

Yeah, something's wrong. The average lease time for an IP should be measured in weeks. Days at the very least. And it should auto-renew when it runs out if you're still connected at that time. So, the only ways you could end up with a new one is to either be disconnected for a while or to (as suggested earlier) make some significant hardware changes.

I'd call.

e1even1

#5 Post by e1even1 »

Dargor wrote:I So I've made a script to check every 1/2 hour and from 6:30pm to 9pm its changed 7 times.
same here. i had the same "dynamic" address for over a year til the last couple weeks.

but my isp is doing major maintenance and infrastructure upgrades right now and i'm justy lucky to be able to find a name server.

i think there's some movin' and shakin' goin' on.

Dargor

#6 Post by Dargor »

Fluenza wrote:Is that Tony the Tiger? LOL! I thought he died years ago. LMFAO!!
well whoever it is they dont seem very dead (http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=63590#63590)
e1even1 wrote:but my isp is doing major maintenance and infrastructure upgrades right now and i'm justy lucky to be able to find a name server.
I like that idea, maybe the bastards are finally doing something.(If you know anything about Telecom NZ you will know they well deserve being called bastards.)

Xylock

#7 Post by Xylock »

Telecom are the worst internet suppliers in NZ Dargor (out of the main ones).

Assuming you have control over your connection & are out of their contracted term (which can be refused on signup, but then they wont give you a free crappy D-Link modem worth $99 *cough* oh no's), Ihug is a way better provider.

As my flatmate signed us up for the cheapest crappies connection, I'm stuck with Telecom unless I want to fork out a $90 disconnection fee. Rogues.

Ihug at my mums, or Telstraclear cable at my bro's.. is heaven compared to Telecoms ADSL crap.
Using rm -rvf * to remove old backups... lazy.
Realising you were in / as root ... priceless.

Dargor

#8 Post by Dargor »

Xylock, yea i forgot to take into account things like my ping and whatever is happening with my ip changing when choosing an isp. Heres something i found the other day which you might find interested.
http://www.telecom.co.nz/chm/0,8763,204 ... 70,00.html
If you are on a 12 month term contract no early termination fees will apply.
we are no longer offering the GO LARGE plan to new customers
Yea there the stupidest isp, they have thousands of people on this plan and there shitty network cant handle it.
Maybe i should consider myself privileged to be on this plan, if i can fix the ip-changing. especially when im on a "max speed" plan and there rolling out adsl2+. Unlimited data, 24Mbit, $50 per month, it sure sounds good on paper.

Yea i have one of those free routers, im having trouble replacing it.http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=14165