Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Prompt disappears

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
cfb

Prompt disappears

#1 Post by cfb »

This is a new install of Debian 9, Xfce with a few configuration changes:

1. I like logging in to the console so have issued:

Code: Select all

# systemctl set-default multi-user.target
2. I also like seeing messages during boot so have changed

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="loglevel=4"
in file "/etc/default/grub".

Now, when the computer boots, it ends at a TTY1 login prompt, as expected. If I leave it there, then after around 10 seconds the prompt disappears, that is, the last line written to the console is cleared.

Hit ENTER and a new login prompt will appear.

If, instead of leaving the computer at the login prompt, I log in quickly, my bash prompt is shown, as expected. Then after a short while, the bash prompt disappears, again, the last line written to the console is cleared.

Hit ENTER and a new bash prompt will appear.

It is certainly not a serious problem and I can easily live with it.
Any idea what might cause it?

Note: If I leave the "quiet" argument in "/etc/default/grub", it does not happen.

cfb

Re: Prompt disappears

#2 Post by cfb »

The minor issue described in the original post is still present, and I see it on two different computers.
Could I ask if any of you guys with a similar setup see the same?

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

what hardware did you install to?

also maybe have a look here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ge ... ay_on_tty1

cfb

#4 Post by cfb »

As mentioned, I see the issue on two computers.
One is this:

System:    Host: kingfisher Kernel: 4.9.0-3-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.30)
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Machine:   Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 3397 UEFI: Hewlett-Packard v: K01 v03.04 date: 10/05/2016
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-3470 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 25541
           clock speeds: max: 3600 MHz 1: 1693 MHz 2: 1600 MHz 3: 1602 MHz 4: 1600 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF119 [GeForce GT 620 OEM] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.org 1.19.2 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 120x40 Advanced Data: N/A for root
The other one is this:

System:    Host: dragonfly Kernel: 4.9.0-3-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.30)
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Machine:   Device: portable System: Dell product: Inspiron 1370 v: A03
           Mobo: Dell model: 016YGK v: A03 BIOS: Dell v: A03 date: 03/22/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel U7300 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 5188
           clock speeds: max: 1300 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1200 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218M [GeForce G 105M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVA8 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
I have read the Arch Linux article, but it does not seem to apply. The screen is not cleared, only the last line.

Can anyone else see the issue I describe in the original post?

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

only one line?
and it happens both before and after login?
that is very mysterious.
if it was either, i'd say look at files like /etc/issue or /etc/motd or /etc/bash.bashrc or ~/.profile etc., but none of those would apply to both before and after login.

crivens

#6 Post by crivens »

Have you found any solution for this yet?

I'm experiencing very similar, randomly occuring, behavior of corruption of the last lines on the screen, leading to messed up prompt. As opposed to OP the line gets not cleared. Here are my observations:

Directly after boot everything looks normal. But in about 15 seconds the cursor jumps from its original position (after "login:") to the beginning of the line. (Don't know if this is related to the prompt issue occuring when already logged in but to me it seem like possibly related abnormality.)

Typing the username will now overwrite the prompt. After hitting <Enter> the prompt appears on correct position again (after "password:") and does not move to the beginning of line more times. After 60s the login just times out. (Still I'm pretty sure the login prompt has a few times got overwritten with gibberish, when left unattended for longer time, like a few hours or so.)

After successful login a colored prompt appears and everything looks normal. When leaving the system like this, doing nothing, the screen turns black after about 10 minutes, due to some power save mode I suppose. Hitting any key will reactivate screen and prompt looks still fine. Until eventually at some point of time, when left unattended, I'll notice that the prompt has lost its colorful appearance and got messed up and overwritten with some gibberish or Esc-code-like characters.

Note: I have no file named "/etc/default/grub" on my system.

System:
          Kernel: 4.9.52-v7+ armv71 (gcc: 6.3.0-18+rpi1) 
          Distro: Raspbian Stretch Lite (Debian GNU/Linux 9)
Machine:   
          Raspberry Pi 2 Model B V1.1
CPU:    
          Quad core ARMv7 rev 5 (v71)
          Clock speed: 900 MHz

cfb

#7 Post by cfb »

Unfortunately, no, I have not found the reason or a solution to this issue.
It may very well be the same issue or at least a related one that you see, even if you are running Raspbian. It is certainly not Debian but closely related.

It is a minor issue and nothing to worry about. Still, it would be nice to find the reason.