Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WiFi doesn't work with WPA.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Coline

WiFi doesn't work with WPA.

#1 Post by Coline »

Hello,

My PC with an Atheros AR9285 can connect to WEP routers but not to WPA routers. I don't undertand why. It see the network but doesn't establish the connection.

I try on Jessie.

- wpa-supplicant
- wicd (i had a return saying "bad pass", but the passphrase was ok)
- network-manager

Nothing work.

I tried with Stretch installation, it the same problem, there is something wrong when "keys are shared".

I tried all "WPA encryptions" my router allow. Thank you for your help.

shep

Re: WiFi doesn't work with WPA.

#2 Post by shep »

Since wep works it indicates that you have the correct device/firmware.

There is a wpa_passphrase and a pre shared key. See Debian Wifi Howto use.. There can also be issues with WPA vs WPA2 and CCMP vs TKIP.

Coline

#3 Post by Coline »

Actually, i tried this page, but nothing work. I had the problem on Jessie. I thought about a driver problem, but Stretch has the same problem...

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Coline wrote:I try on Jessie.

- wpa-supplicant
Please supply details of the exact command(s) used along with the relevant configuration file (if any).

Did the `wpa_supplicant` command report any errors?

Try setting the router to "WPA2 only" rather than the more usual (and much less secure) "mixed" (WEP+WPA) mode.
deadbang

Coline

#5 Post by Coline »

Hi.

Code: Select all

#ip a
3: wlp5s0: <BROADCAST ,MULTICAST> ...

#chmod 0600 /etc/network/interfaces

$wpa-passphrase mywifi my passphrase
(I tested the two methods : putting my passphrase like this or with the prompt)

#nano /etc/network/interfaces
#This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
#and how to activate theme. For more information, see interfaces(5).

sources /etc/network/interfaces.d/

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlp5s0
iface wlp5s0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid mywifi
wpa-psk 0123456789abcdef

#ifup wlp5s0
ifup: interface wlp5s0 is already configured.
But I have no connection.

By the way, two day ago, it worked with wicd, but yesterday and today, no way. But I may make a mistake. I did so many things that I can't even remember properly.

iwlist scan
wlp5s0 : Interface doesn't support scanning : Device or ressource busy 

shep

#6 Post by shep »

Network manager and wicd are started by systemd at boot and continue to run in the background as daemons. You cannot run both simultaneously or easily make changes outside of the particular daemon once it starts. If wicd is still running there will be conflicts with changes that you make in

/etc/network/intefaces
I would review the link I provided earlier and choose the best method for your particular situation. I use wicd on my portable devices and manually set up my older, non-mobile system with the cli. After you make a choice, remove any packages that would conflict with that choice. Double check to make sure that systemd is not starting the wrong wifi daemon. There are good wiki pages, maybe even translated, on using wifi and systemd.

Nobody here knows exactly what you attempted the last several days or what may be left over from those attempts. If systemd is too much for you to read, start with a clean install and just try the firmware install and cli configuration. It is easiest to troubleshoot.

Coline

#7 Post by Coline »

Actually, it's a fresh install and neither wicd or network-manager are installed.

The sharing of encryption key doesn't work at all in wicd and network-manager. I don't know why. wpasupplicant doesn't seem to work neither.

ljones0

#8 Post by ljones0 »

auto wlp5s0
iface wlp5s0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid mywifi
I'm really no expert here but do you need to add something like "wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK" to that at all? BTW here's what I use (I normally configure systems with a static IP address) ; I have the following in /etc/network/interfaces (though this is an older debian install -- will have to change 'wlan0' below to whatever your wifi device is called);

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.0.99
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
wpa-ssid "<Your SSID name here>"
wpa-psk "<Your Password>"
wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
dns-nameservers 208.67.222.222
dns-nameservers 208.67.220.220
(Note that the main router connected to the 'net has the ip address of 192.168.0.1).

ljones

shep

#9 Post by shep »

'm really no expert here but do you need to add something like "wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK" to that at all? BTW here's what I use (I normally configure systems with a static IP address) ; I have the following in /etc/network/interfaces (though this is an older debian install -- will have to change 'wlan0' below to whatever your wifi device is called);
Not in Debians /etc/network/interfaces. Specifying key management is usually done in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. For normal Debian home wpa/wpa2 use, /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf does not need user edits. This contrasts with Slackware, NetBSD and FreeBSD.

I provided a link above that specifies the configuration in /etc/network/interfaces but I seems you did not recognize the link or did not bother to read it. Note that the guide uses the PSK HASH. The PSK HASH is a hexadecimal string generated from the SSID and PSK(ASCII).
wpa_passphrase SSID PSK(ASCII) => PSK HASH(hexadecimal). See man wpa_passphrase.
Define appropriate stanzas for your wireless interface, along with the SSID and PSK HASH. For example :

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wpa-ssid myssid
        wpa-psk ccb290fd4fe6b22935cbae31449e050edd02ad44627b16ce0151668f5f53c01b
I usually generate the PSK HASH and redirect it to append to /etc/network/interfaces

# wpa_passphrase SSID PSK >> /etc/network/interfaces
Upstream is implementing a new naming scheme for network interfaces.
For you:

auto wlp5s0
iface wlp5s0 inet dhcp
        wpa-ssid myssid
        wpa-psk Long hexadecimal PSK HASH
I recommend starting with dhcp to see if the PSK hash and device are set right and then modifying for a static address. I do not know if debian allows dns-nameservers to be specified in /etc/network/interfaces but classically this is done in /etc/resolv.conf.