Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing/upgrading Debian 9 on Windows 10 Hyper-V

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
rvwilliams

Installing/upgrading Debian 9 on Windows 10 Hyper-V

#1 Post by rvwilliams »

Hi
I have not been able to install a vanilla Debian 9 or upgrade an existing Jessie system using Hyper-V on Windows 10. Installing Jessie (8.7) works great and I can upgrade that to Stretch but as soon as I reboot all hell breaks out and the sytem won't start. Has anyone been successful installing Stretch on Hyper-V under Windows 10?
Installing vanilla Stretch just gets stuck at 33% when initialising the disk and never completes. Jessie does this in less than 5 seconds.

Segfault

Re: Installing/upgrading Debian 9 on Windows 10 Hyper-V

#2 Post by Segfault »

hell breaks out
All I can do is to suggest exorcism.

In case you decide to get technical - this is a technical forum after all - please provide error messages, logs (from host?).

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

Not knowing anything about windows, I don't use it, but I have heard some
thing about they now include Ubunto , in it (windows 10)
https://thehackernews.com/2017/07/windo ... linux.html
Maybe there is some kind of conflict, with the Debian, and the Ubunto ?
I don't know, like I said I don't use any MS windows products, nor Ubunto
Installing Jessie (8.7) works great ----snip---- Jessie does this in less than 5 seconds.
There you go, I would use what works great.

========= edit ===
I find this: https://wiki.debian.org/WindowsServerHyperV
This page explain how to use Debian under Microsoft Hyper-V (Windows Server 2008/R2).

/!\ Microsoft Virtual PC is a non-free (proprietary) software. It isn't supported by Debian. It's probably wiser to use a free Virtualization tool.
But it is a little old,
and this : https://packages.debian.org/stretch/hyperv-daemons

Using this search string: using Hyper-V on Windows 10, for Debian 9
=====================================
One hit: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... on-hyper-v
Supported Debian virtual machines on Hyper-V
================================
Applies To: Windows Server 2016, Hyper-V Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2, Hyper-V Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012, Hyper-V Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7.1, Windows 7

The following feature distribution map indicates the features that are present in each version. The known issues and workarounds for each distribution are listed after the table.
Table legend

Built in - LIS are included as part of this Linux distribution. The Microsoft-provided LIS download package doesn't work for this distribution so do not install it. The kernel module version numbers for the built in LIS (as shown by lsmod, for example) are different from the version number on the Microsoft-provided LIS download package. A mismatch does not indicate that the built in LIS is out of date.

✔ - Feature available

(blank) - Feature not available

Feature Windows Server operating system version 8.0-8.8 (jessie) 7.0-7.11 (wheezy)
The only supported Debian versions , seem to be 7 and 8,....

rvwilliams

#4 Post by rvwilliams »

I have been running some Jessie systems and earlier this way for several years and Jessie runs fine. The problem with Debian 9 Stretch is so bad that the system won't boot at all so I can't get to any logs. The upgrade to Stretch destroyed one of my Jessie systems but fortunately I had kept a backup. In the past I've always been able to upgrade OK, for example Wheezy to Jessie. I use these virtual systems as test beds for some live stand-alone servers. Because of this problem I'm not planning to upgrade any of them to Stretch any time soon.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

GarryRicketson wrote:Not knowing anything about windows, I don't use it, but I have heard some
thing about they now include Ubunto , in it (windows 10)
https://thehackernews.com/2017/07/windo ... linux.html
Maybe there is some kind of conflict, with the Debian, and the Ubunto ?
I don't know, like I said I don't use any MS windows products, nor Ubunto
@Garry, did you even read that article? It doesn't say Ubuntu comes with Win10.
And you've told us 1000 times you don't use Windows. Please stop answering questions you know nothing about. I know some of your answers, about things you do know about, are really helpful.

@rvwilliams - I doubt you will get much help with Hyper-V here, as the most common usage would be to run Windows in VM on Debian host. May have more luck on a Windows forum.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Kyuu

#6 Post by Kyuu »

I thought to jump in, as I've been using Debian on Hyper-V for quite a long while. I'm afraid my answer is not 100% relevant, as I run Hyper-V on Windows Server, but I thought to mention, especially as Microsoft's official information is out of date.

I have had no problem with Debian 9 on Hyper-V on Windows Server 2016. I made a test install just now, just in case. Here's the quick summary:
- Generation 2, secure boot disabled, set a VLAN tag for my virtual interface but pretty much all defaults
- Netinst image with firmware (I always only keep the firmware versions on hand, not sure if it matters)
- Basic expert install, pretty much click through
- Post-install, install package hyperv-daemons
- Also I tend to edit /etc/default/grub to add kernel parameter video=hyperv_fb:800x600 just for personal convenience

The first reboot, after installing hyperv-daemons fails, it doesn't like shutting down in a timely fashion. After that, no problems.

I am familiar with Windows 10 being a bit different in detail, but I thought it worth mentioning that generally on a modern Hyper-V environment, Debian works quite well. Granted, the match of Debian and Windows isn't philosophically very harmonious, but that's our way of being able to use Debian even in an enterprise environment. Vmware has made sure to burn all their bridges our way and while Xen is wonderful in some cases, it's limited in some key features.

yk17

#7 Post by yk17 »

if you are using i386, use amd64. linux-image-686-pae crashes on Hyper-V.