Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Devuan - not yet mature

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
makh

Devuan - not yet mature

#1 Post by makh »

Hi

Impressed by the website and configurable init and the beautiful download options, I thought of giving devuan a try on virtualbox:

1> Live Mode:

Code: Select all

It failed to boot on ram option
2> Default Live Mode:

This worked, and at the desktop level things looked like similar to debian
3> Live Media Installer:

1. Failed to differ between the gpt and mbr partition table.
2. Installation failed with many excuses, aka warnings.
I started linux with Ubuntu6.06 and Opensuse10.2. They were derivatives of the maturer distros, but at least worked, and that was perhaps ubunutus best release, and suses last to support relative old hardwares.
Its sounds childish, ... but the first thing we were taught back in C++ Deitel course, Dont reinvent the wheel. The Devuan hasnt shown what it was targetted at... though it has been around 2 years now.

Adios
ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

makh

Re: Devuan - not yet mature

#2 Post by makh »

makh wrote:Hi

Impressed by the website and configurable init and the beautiful download options, I thought of giving devuan a try on virtualbox:

1> Live Mode:

2> Default Live Mode:

This worked, and at the desktop level things looked like similar to debian
3> Live Media Installer:

I started linux with Ubuntu6.06 and Opensuse10.2. They were derivatives of the maturer distros, but at least worked, and that was perhaps ubunutus best release, and suses last to support relative old hardwares.
Its sounds childish, ... but the first thing we were taught back in C++ Deitel course, Dont reinvent the wheel. The Devuan hasnt shown what it was targetted at... though it has been around 2 years now.

Adios
Edit 1: not to forget that there are more than 5 distros, based on Devuan.

golinux

#3 Post by golinux »

You failed to specify exactly which isos you were using, whether you checked the shasum, your hardware (there are known issues) etc. Also since you have not contacted anyone at Devuan (that I am aware) regarding your issues, I can only conclude that this 'review' has no validity. It could be nothing more than pebkac.
May the FORK be with you!

fsmithred

#4 Post by fsmithred »

makh wrote:Hi
1> Live Mode:

The toram option in live-boot has been there for years and normally works. Are you sure you allowed enough ram in your VM? (size of iso + however much you want to use for running the system.)
3> Live Media Installer:

1. The installer itself has nothing to do with gpt or mbr partition tables. You can use gparted in the graphical installer and either fdisk or gdisk in console if you want to mess with partition tables. The installer wants to know what partitions to use and where to put grub. (Note: devuan-live currently uses refractainstaller.)
2. Some useful information could possibly lead to a solution. Are you sure you didn't try to do something the installer can't do or won't let you do?
Dont reinvent the wheel.
Somehow, I think you fail to see the irony of this statement.

fsmithred

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

OP's Signature:
For new, try Linux Mint.
Post by golinux » I can only conclude that this 'review' has no validity.
I would question the validity of the opinion of any one that recommends Linux Mint, ...And then , someone that feels they have to full quote their first post,
just to add a 1 line comment, calling it a "edit",....????
I wouldn't suggest Linux Mint to my worst enemy.
And if a friend was sick, I certainly would not suggest a witch doctor , practising Homoeopathic medicine , but that is another topic, perhaps a good one
For the Birds

makh

#6 Post by makh »

golinux wrote:You failed to specify exactly which isos you were using, whether you checked the shasum, your hardware (there are known issues) etc. Also since you have not contacted anyone at Devuan (that I am aware) regarding your issues, I can only conclude that this 'review' has no validity. It could be nothing more than pebkac.
I mentioned it was live media, but to be exact:
devuan_jessie_1.0.0_amd64_desktop-live
1. Live mode works, it did upto a few applications, even started installing.

@fsmithred: :idea:
1. Not sure about it. Edit-1; It is now running at 2.5gb ram allocation. :)
3. I made a gpt partition table, and the installed only wanted to use it as mbr.

@GarryRicketson: :|
1. The second post, was an error. I admit it.
2. Linux Mint is supposed to be newbie friendly, an easy replacement for other OS. Many people liked it, when I showed it to them.
3. You have taken my concern to somewhere else. I only like to point out issues that are for help of people. Probably, for now thats the thing I can do in FOSS.
Edit-2; 4. I personally believe, if one doesnt know something, if possible, go and learn it from an expert/expert teacher, then one may find something he never understood at all. It may be more helpful, then other options.
Edit-3; 5. One of my students learned matlab from me, he was MS, more than my age and ACEO in a company. He was also planning to study more. I even plan to study more, but right now its not in my range.

Thankyou

fsmithred

#7 Post by fsmithred »

3. I made a gpt partition table, and the installed only wanted to use it as mbr.
At what point in the installation did it complain about the gpt partition table?

The installer is just a bash script that calls some system commands to do the job. After it asks you which partitions to use, it formats the partitions with mke2fs, then copies the live system to hard drive with rsync, then it installs the grub bootloader.

If it's a legacy bios system, you get to choose whether grub goes to the mbr or to a partition. If it's a uefi system, grub knows to go to the efi partition. If you have a gpt partition table and tell grub to go the the mbr... well, I don't know what happens then, because I never tried that.

After grub is installed, the installer asks you about user name and password. I'd like to figure out where the error message came from, in case I need to make some changes in the installer. Thanks.

makh

#8 Post by makh »

[quote="fsmithred"][/quote]
I tried to check again.
2. Grub fails to install on mbr. (possible problem with refratra)
3. I couldnt pick up the log file, as it got deleted, and right at that moment usb and shared folder, werent possible, and the local ftp server isnt accesible by guest host.
Edit 1; 4. Rest seemed all fine, grub install and also var log couldnt make into existence, after mounting vdi and checking it.

fsmithred

#9 Post by fsmithred »

You might want to look at this page about using gpt disks with bios booting:
http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/bios.html

I'll try it in virtualbox with a gpt partition table when I get a chance.

makh

#10 Post by makh »

fsmithred wrote:You might want to look at this page about using gpt disks with bios booting:
http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/bios.html

I'll try it in virtualbox with a gpt partition table when I get a chance.
Finally got it installed, gparted option was bad. It doesnt create 1MB partition of bios grub. Debian & Linux Mint can handle this itself, though.
2. The maintenance mode doesnt help.