Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Librem 5 smartphone with FOSS Debian-based GNU/Linux stack

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
pylkko

Re: Librem 5 smartphone with FOSS Debian-based GNU/Linux sta

#21 Post by pylkko »

One thing that has not been discussed anywhere as far as I know is that Google has been developing a mobile non-linux OS (fuchsia). Well, if they move to using that as a replacement for Android, then this would be even more important.

pylkko

100% reached

#22 Post by pylkko »

Ok. So

100.76% of funds reached with 14 days still left

I would have never believed it in my life. But I believe this is a good thing.

And some more info about the development:

https://puri.sm/posts/librem5-roadmap-to-imx8/

and:

https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-touch-and-web-browsing/

BTW. of interest is the fact that somewhere (I'm too lazy to find where it was) they said about the campaign that they are aiming at deploying in 2019, but that they deliberately put a very conservative estimate on the time table and that they believe that it might even come out quicker than the one year... well we'll see I guess. Also apparently the SOC that they are looking at is a 2017 model (i.MX 8M). I for one had assumed that if they were going with a i.MX8 that it would be one of the earlier ones (as I think the free kernel module (etnaviv) for the graphics only includes older SOC). I have no doubt that these guys will be able to bring out the product, now that they have the funding. I am fairly sure, however, that the phone will be somewhat "challenging to use" unless they manage to get Android emulation/support somehow. But on their site they say they need 10 M USD for that !!!