Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

stretch vmlinuz and rsync

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
tgmedia

stretch vmlinuz and rsync

#1 Post by tgmedia »

Hi guys,

I've been trying to understand what has changed from Debian 8 to Debian 9 in regards to the vmlinuz file.

When I backup my VMs every night, I use rsync to copy the files to a backup server with rsync and since some files were big sparse files, I use the sparse flag (rsync -avlHS) to 'handle sparse files efficiently'.

When copying Debian 8 VMs, all is working fine when restoring them, however, when backing up Debian 9 VMs, it corrupts the vmlinuz file, making the servers unbootable due to

Code: Select all

Booting 'Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 4.9.0-3-amd64'

root  (hd1)
 Filesystem type is ext2fs, using whole disk
kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-3-amd64 root=/dev/xvda2 ro console=hvc0

Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure

Press any key to continue...
I know I can remove the sparse flag for rsync, but since I'd like to use this feature to increase the performance of it, I'd like to understand what happened / changed to the vmlinuz file and why it could break when rsyncing it using the above mentioned rsync flags.

Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Thomas

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: stretch vmlinuz and rsync

#2 Post by p.H »

What do you mean exactly by "backup my VMs" ?
Do you mean that you backup the virtual disk image files on the host ? Or do you mean something else ?

From the error message, I do no think that the vmlinuz file is specifically corrupted but the whole filesystem is in an inconsistent state. That can happen when you take a snapshot of a mounted filesystem. It is like removing the power of a running system.