Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to make VPN within guest work, without VPN in host?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
s3a

How to make VPN within guest work, without VPN in host?

#1 Post by s3a »

Hello, everyone. :)

Could someone please help me get my guest OS to make a VPN connection, without my host OS being connected to a VPN, using VirtualBox?

Technically, I haven't been able to get the guest OS connected to the VPN, even when the host OS is connected to the VPN, but I would really like it for the guest OS to be connected to it, without the host OS also being connected to it; I want the host OS to just be connected to the Internet, without any VPN stuff involved.

I'm using network-manager-gnome, network-manager-gnome-pptp and network-manager-pptp for making VPN connections.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

P.S.
Both my guest and host operating systems are Debian stable/stretch, with Virtualbox (5.1.28) from stretch-backports.
Use Mnemosyne to Study for School!

Segfault

Re: How to make VPN within guest work, without VPN in host?

#2 Post by Segfault »

It sounds like host is doing NAT.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to make VPN within guest work, without VPN in host?

#3 Post by p.H »

What kind of network connection have you configured between the guest and the host in VirtualBox ?

If you selected the NAT mode, IIRC it handles only TCP, UDP and ICMP protocols. But PPTP uses the GRE protocol.