Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Microsoft Winux?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
synux

Microsoft Winux?

#1 Post by synux »

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11185- ... dID=188144

That is a little old article they are linking to, but this could become reality.. Think of it:

A commercial Linux distribution called Microsoft Winux.. Microsoft would make their own proprietary software for it and if they would add native support for Windows Executables without using WINE (which is very unlikely) I would buy it..

And you?
Don't dream your life; live your dream!

DeanLinkous

#2 Post by DeanLinkous »

They already own Linspire.....dont they? :)

fool me once - shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me.....
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

bruno.vitorino

#3 Post by bruno.vitorino »

well, i would say NEVER! :twisted:
persistence, persistence, persistence!!

Bulkley

Re: Microsoft Winux?

#4 Post by Bulkley »

synux wrote: I would buy it..
Did you buy your Debian?

Burnside

#5 Post by Burnside »

Me? I'd download the latest Debian net install .iso for free and never look back.

In fact, I already did that.

bluesdog

#6 Post by bluesdog »

synux wrote:... I would buy it..

And you?
Sure. Right after I set my head on fire and beat it out with a baseball bat
:P
Tips & Tricks

Something more to read while waiting

If you obviously have not read THIS, don't expect too much...

*winter bluesdog....*

synux

#7 Post by synux »

Bulkley wrote:
synux wrote: I would buy it..
Did you buy your Debian?
Well that was acutally a joke to see how you react on it :P
I see that I didn't get good reputation :)
Don't dream your life; live your dream!

mr.Lauren

#8 Post by mr.Lauren »

Seems to me that if Microsoft could sue Linspire for the word "Lindows", then Linux should be able to sue Microsoft for the word "Winux" -- How about $50 Billion!

Stretch

#9 Post by Stretch »

That's a very interesting article and - to my mind - a very real possibility.

It would make sense wouldn't it? MS has a linux lab after all and i'm sure they keep close tabs on most of the major distros out there. If Linux were to start to make inroads into their desktop consumer base, it would be good policy to embrace the competition (and buy it out) rather than go against the flow.

I could even see MS developing its own in-house brand that was not Debian based and used propriety software. They could call it (in the tradition of Newman salad dressing) "Bill's Own". :wink:

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#10 Post by Lavene »

I for one would really welcome a Microsoft *nix system. Just think about it.
Firstly you would have Bill's seal of approval. A sign of excellent quality on it's own.
Second, as we all know, Microsoft is all about innovation, creativity and independence.
Since it of course would be proprietary, with the numerous advantages this brings, you would not have to mess about with source code or a million apps that does the same thing. The OS would, for security reasons, only run MS approved applications of course.

And the general community would greatly benefit too since common sources to conflicts would be a thing of the past. Take uptime for instance... no one would ever brag about uptime since every system will need a reboot once a week anyway. Like to brag about your minimal kernel? Well, no one will get access to the kernel source so everyone would run the same kernel. I would not be at all surprised if something like 'Minux' would even lead to world peace...

Dargor

#11 Post by Dargor »

i think lavene forgot to put " [/sarcasm] " at the end of that post.

but i dont get what you actually think about millions of apps that do the same thing.

DeanLinkous

#12 Post by DeanLinkous »

Stretch wrote: It would make sense wouldn't it?
Uh, no...not so much.... :D
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

jezebelus

#13 Post by jezebelus »

Sounds pathetic... poor bastards :roll:

Hevoos

#14 Post by Hevoos »

I really hope that does never ever happen!

I mean that OS would have absolutely no competition, every single Debian programmer would begin working for that project instead, nobody would ever use SuSE, Red Hat or Ubuntu again and bill gates would be the king, or not.

Pobega

#15 Post by Pobega »

Hevoos wrote:I really hope that does never ever happen!

I mean that OS would have absolutely no competition, every single Debian programmer would begin working for that project instead, nobody would ever use SuSE, Red Hat or Ubuntu again and bill gates would be the king, or not.
Not really. Debian isn't here to be competition for Microsoft, that isn't one of it's goals. Debian is here to provide a secure, stable server environment, a powerful home operating system (Although some would disagree there), and the best package manager available; All completely free so that others can learn from and expand on Debian's ideas.

If Microsoft made a Linux distribution I doubt it would become any more popular than DeLi Linux (Which has a pretty strong userbase, but nothing huge), and it would come nowhere near Ubuntu. Fact is, nothing would be backwards compatible; And until every single Windows program becomes backwards compatible on Microsoft Winux, they won't own any more than 4% of the market. Especially since they'll be charging $300 for it!
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh

Dargor

#16 Post by Dargor »

synux wrote:... I would buy it..
And you?
that depends 1) game support
2) can i chroot to it
3) cost <$50 yea, >&50 no but that wouldn't stop me using it.

sinical

#17 Post by sinical »

Meh, just piratebay.org it :wink:
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn

hash

#18 Post by hash »

some how this brings to mind GB shaw's supposed reply to a proposal by an actress...
look it up.
Disclaimer: Any errors/misstakes in spilling, glammer, tact, or fact are transmission errors