Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Resolved: How to Dual boot with UEFI Windows?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
rupertlssmith

Re: How to Dual boot with UEFI Windows?

#21 Post by rupertlssmith »

rupertlssmith wrote:So now I get the installer running.

When I come to the step 'Install Base System' it fails with the message 'Failed to determine the codename for the release.' Any suggestions?

I think I now understand why Linus Torvalds says he is not technical enough to install Debian...
Strangely, /cdrom seemed to unmount itself during the installation process. The device for it also changed from /dev/sda. So I had to drop to a shell and then mount /dev/sdb on /cdrom, and now it is finding the base system to install.

rupertlssmith

#22 Post by rupertlssmith »

p.H wrote:
rupertlssmith wrote:I am using a USB HDD device rather than a USB memory stick. I wonder if that affects things?
It should not.
It would seem that a USB HDD versus a USB flash drive does make a difference. I now put the netinst.iso on a USB flash drive, and the issue with detecting the CD-ROM goes away; it finds the installer files automatically.

Going down the USB HDD route - it kept on failing to find the cd-rom during installation and eventually hung. But now that I have a USB flash drive, it seems to be going ok.

rupertlssmith

#23 Post by rupertlssmith »

Ok, I've now got it dual booting into Windows and Debian with EFI.

To summarize,

Code: Select all

cp debian-9.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso /dev/sdX
Making sure that /dev/sdX is a USB flash drive, and not a USB HDD drive.

Boot that and install to a partition on the main disk. It sets up grub for EFI mode all by itself and dual booting works.

Thanks for all the help. It wasn't so hard in the end, but I appreciate the things I learned along the way.