Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I installed Debian 9 without a desktop environment...

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
debian-uzer

I installed Debian 9 without a desktop environment...

#1 Post by debian-uzer »

I followed instructions on youtube and on reddit about how to install Debian on a windows 10 laptop. During installation I encountered a problem where there was no network mirror and because of this when I boot Debian, I see a black screen with only code. I can only manage to login using my username and password but I cant do anything else because I am completely new to Linux.

I think i should have plugged my laptop into the router using an ethernet cable but no one mentioned this important fact so I didn't bother.

Now my problem is how to install a graphical login interface and a desktop environment like cinnamon or Gnome using the command line or is it better to re-install debian?

And if I have to re-install debian, should I delete debian from my hard drive or should I just plug the bootable usb back in and over-write the debian I already have installed.

I look forward to any useful suggestions.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: I installed Debian 9 without a desktop environment...

#2 Post by arochester »

Please give a link to the tutorials you used.

How did you install? From CD/DVD/USB?

What happens if you type: startx

If nothing happens type (as Root): tasksel

You don't need to remove Debian to reinstall, you just need to install again in the same place.

Also posted to https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/co ... inux4noobs

debian-uzer

#3 Post by debian-uzer »

This is the youtube tutorial I used but I also used instructions from reddit users: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VP9yLn1dnQE

I used a net install provided by a reddit user(https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... etinst.iso) then I loaded it onto a bootable usb using Rufus.

I tried typing in codes like sudo apt get and taskel and it returned command not found.

How do I type as root? It only asks me to login as user. Then after, it shows "root@username" with an "s" after. What does this s mean?

I really appreciate your help. I am still really excited to have installed Debian. I just want it to work.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#4 Post by arochester »

By default, Debian does not use sudo.But it can be added if you want.

To become Root, instead of using sudo, type su
It will then ask for your Root password and become Root

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

debian-uzer wrote:This is the youtube tutorial I used but I also used instructions from reddit users:
thank you for your honesty.
i'm saying this without malice: these aren't the best channels to get reliable information on operating system installation.
in debian's case, that would be debian's own web pages.

imho, it would be easiest if you reinstall.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

If you were depending on wi-fi for the Net connection, odds are 98% it would not work without the non-free firmware that the kernel driver requires for the wireless hardware to work at all. And if it's Broadcom wi-fi, it's even more complicated.

Best to get started either with the ISO image that has the non-free firmware, or to use the wired NIC and add any firmware you need later.

There are some some good tutorials on YouTube and Reddit, but they can be drowned out by the babbling of 10,000 maniacs.
MX Linux packager and developer

HuangLao

#7 Post by HuangLao »

nnm

#8 Post by nnm »

su -c 'tasksel --new-install'
Debian 9 (Stretch)
Asus Vivobook S551LB

debian-uzer

#9 Post by debian-uzer »

Thanks for all your help.

I re-installed debian 9 stretch successfully last night and I really like Linux.

Because I had no internet connection during my first install, i was in effect doing an Arch install by installing everything from scratch with only the terminal provided.

Now my problem is getting my wifi to work.

I've been looking around this forum and other places and still no luck.

Can anyone recommend how to install and get the wifi firmware working?

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#10 Post by arochester »

To get wifi to work you need firmware from the non-free repository.

Read the link here: https://linuxpanda.wordpress.com/2016/1 ... n-stretch/

Follow the bits "Update the sourcs.list" and "WiFi".

DO NOT blindly follow all the steps until you know what you are doing. You could do more harm than good.

Soapm

#11 Post by Soapm »

arochester wrote:To get wifi to work you need firmware from the non-free repository.

Read the link here: https://linuxpanda.wordpress.com/2016/1 ... n-stretch/

Follow the bits "Update the sourcs.list" and "WiFi".

DO NOT blindly follow all the steps until you know what you are doing. You could do more harm than good.
If this is a fresh install, I found it best to put a "non free" folder with these packages on the install disc and let the installer do the work. If will usually install what's needed without all the bloated and extra steps you find in some of the online tutorials... My $00.02