Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Panel bar in LXDE went missing

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Aris Veresie

Panel bar in LXDE went missing

#1 Post by Aris Veresie »

New install, rebooted to find out that the panel bar on the bottom went missing.
Even though i can install a new bar, is there a way to bring the original bar back?
Last edited by Aris Veresie on 2011-12-25 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
Being anonymous is the same as being an idiot.

Aris Veresie

Re: Panel bar in LXDE went missing

#2 Post by Aris Veresie »

If this is worth mentioning, i have installed a panel bar on the top before the reboot.
Being anonymous is the same as being an idiot.

factro

#3 Post by factro »

What I did to solve that problem

1. Install lxpanel

Code: Select all

apt-get install lxpanel
2. goto /userfolder/.config/ and rename or remove lxpanel folder

mv /userfolder/.config/lxpanel lxpanel.bak
eg.

mv /home/factro/.config/lxpanel lxpanel.bak
3. reboot

cheers

man_without_clue

#4 Post by man_without_clue »

Was the problem solved?

I am encountering similar problem.

I am running Stretch with newer kernel with LXDE. After I added additional panel n the desktop, the default menu panel at the bottom disappears after reboot. Also some icons on the newly added panel become invisible.

The method mentioned above restored default desktop but I am unable to add new panel.

I don't know what is causing this and cannot find any solution.

I didn't have this problem with Jessie and Wheezy.

n_hologram

#5 Post by n_hologram »

Just speculating: since you're running Stretch, do you think it's possible that the shift to LXQt has left some packages unaccounted for? (I'm not sure how much longer lxde's GTK form will last.)

I also noticed that the lxde metapackage in stretch includes no panels at all:
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/lxde

I might follow factro's lead and reinstall the panel manually.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

man_without_clue

#6 Post by man_without_clue »

n_hologram wrote: it's possible that the shift to LXQt has left some packages unaccounted for? (I'm not sure how much longer lxde's GTK form will last.)

I also noticed that the lxde metapackage in stretch includes no panels at all:
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/lxde

I might follow factro's lead and reinstall the panel manually.
LXDE panel is installed.

I didn't think about LXQt. I might give it try to see if LXQt works better instead. The reason why I am staying away from it is because I've read it is still buggy and incomplete. I will see.

n_hologram

#7 Post by n_hologram »

man_without_clue wrote: LXDE panel is installed.

I didn't think about LXQt. I might give it try to see if LXQt works better instead. The reason why I am staying away from it is because I've read it is still buggy and incomplete. I will see.
My post was actually in reference to the OP. I'm wondering if you both are experiencing different issues (although I can't even confirm because he hasn't responded). It sounds like his issue is the panel itself disappearing, whereas yours seems to be a mishap in the configuration. Please clarify if I am mistaken, but if this is the case, I recommend opening a new thread.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

man_without_clue

#8 Post by man_without_clue »

n_hologram wrote:
man_without_clue wrote: LXDE panel is installed.

My post was actually in reference to the OP. I'm wondering if you both are experiencing different issues (although I can't even confirm because he hasn't responded). It sounds like his issue is the panel itself disappearing, whereas yours seems to be a mishap in the configuration. Please clarify if I am mistaken, but if this is the case, I recommend opening a new thread.
I think my problem is actually same as what OP was experiencing.
What I did was to add the new panel in addition to the default setting. After adding the additional panel at the side of the desktop, then reboot, the original(default) menu panel at the bottom disappeared.

By the way I did give a try to LXQt, it was ok but I prefer LXDE.

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

please keep in mind that the first post is from 6 years ago, the proposed solution is from 4 years ago, and op never came back to confirm that solution...

man_without_clue

#10 Post by man_without_clue »

debiman wrote:please keep in mind that the first post is from 6 years ago, the proposed solution is from 4 years ago, and op never came back to confirm that solution...
Yes, I noticed that but the problem was probably exactly same as mine, so I was just wondering if the OP or someone else might have found the solution for this.

The method Factro mentioned above works to restore the default setting though I have been unable to add the additional panel.

debiman

#11 Post by debiman »

i see you also posted about this elsewhere.
the thing is: everyone else who uses lxde is able to add panels and adjust settings at will, and you have not provided anything that would help identify the problem (i'm not blaming you, i understand very well that you are stumped).
anyhow, when (not if) you found out what was going on, please make sure to come back here and post what it was.
others will benefit.

man_without_clue

#12 Post by man_without_clue »

debiman wrote:i see you also posted about this elsewhere.
the thing is: everyone else who uses lxde is able to add panels and adjust settings at will, and you have not provided anything that would help identify the problem (i'm not blaming you, i understand very well that you are stumped).
anyhow, when (not if) you found out what was going on, please make sure to come back here and post what it was.
others will benefit.
Yes, I promise I will.
I will update solution everywhere I posted with this question if I get this solved. I haven't got any clue yet though.

man_without_clue

#13 Post by man_without_clue »

Ok, I just freshly installed Stretch with LXDE only on different hard drive.

I added one panel in addition to the default desk top set-up.

Logged out.

Re-logged in.

Default menu panel at the bottom is gone.

So, this could be Stretch specific problem. My problem may be different from what the OP was experiencing.

man_without_clue

#14 Post by man_without_clue »

UPDATE

I copied /.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels from working Jessie
machine to Stretch.

AND the result was success!

The one in Wheezy has panel and left files under "panels" but on
Stretch, there is only "panel" file.

For some reason LXDE fails to create these panel files correctly and
messes up. I don't know the mechanism of this process but something is
not working right.

Head_on_a_Stick

#15 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

man_without_clue wrote:The one in Wheezy has panel and left files under "panels" but on
Stretch, there is only "panel" file.

For some reason LXDE fails to create these panel files correctly and
messes up. I don't know the mechanism of this process but something is
not working right.
I think that you should report this issue.

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

EDIT: for the record the default panel configuration is under /etc/xdg/lxpanel, along with other examples.
deadbang

Octanny

#16 Post by Octanny »

Same problem encountered in Debian 9.5. Apparently, they changed the numbering of monitors. I had the panel set on monitor 1. Changing to monitor 0 in ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/panel solved the problem.

kevinthefixer

#17 Post by kevinthefixer »

The similar issue I had with 2 out of my 4 Stretch XFCE installs (both on older hardware, now that I think of it) was that the XFCE panel disappeared entirely on first reboot. I think (but am not sure) that I had removed the second (bottom) panel in both instances, leaving only the top (#1)panel. Workaround was to right-click the desktop, go to applications>settings>session and startup>application autostart and add to the list "Panel Start" with command "/usr/bin/xfce4-panel". No problems since, and the one computer has been running 5 days a week for about 6-8 months now. I only remembered because I just recently set up an older desktop to keep me going until I can save up for a new mobo for my lightning-damaged mainframe.