Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to install Gnome 3.14 desktop in Debian Stretch ?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
manash k pal

How to install Gnome 3.14 desktop in Debian Stretch ?

#1 Post by manash k pal »

sir,
Presently I am using debian 9 ( Stretch ), but the present Gnome , i.e 3.22 is functioning not with that amount of smoothness like debian jessie Gnome.
Debian jessie's Gnome version ( may be 3.14 ) was pretty smooth and speedy.
Can I remove my current Gnome that comes with Debian stretch with the older version of Gnome ( like jessie's Gnome ), because , this was nice experience to work with the older version of Gnome with jessie.

please, let me know about it.

thanks in advance.

Manash K Pal
Last edited by manash k pal on 2017-10-21 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

nnm

Re: How to install Gnome 3.14 desktop in Debian Stretch ?

#2 Post by nnm »

no. but nothing stops you from running old stable and installing backports of newer programs.
Debian 9 (Stretch)
Asus Vivobook S551LB

manash k pal

#3 Post by manash k pal »

But, how can I do that ? if I want to use Gnome 3.14 with the replacement of 3.22 ?

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

Lady,
that would require installing debian oldstable (jessie) first.
then follow procedure for backport activation as desired.

manash k pal

#5 Post by manash k pal »

ok sir, thanks for your valuable answer. but, when I start the upgradation process , then , I think the Gnome desktop 3.14 will be changed to its latter version ( i.e 3.22 ), which I dont like to happen. am i right or wrong ? I should know.

Thorny

#6 Post by Thorny »

manash k pal wrote:.... but, when I start the upgradation process , then , I think the Gnome desktop 3.14 will be changed to its latter version ( i.e 3.22 ), which I dont like to happen. am i right or wrong ? I should know.
I think that was the point, install oldstable (Jessie), it will reach EOL (end of life) May 2018 and will then have LTS (long term support) until April/May 2020. They didn't mean for you to upgrade after reinstalling Jessie, they meant use the version that has the GNOME you like.

On the other hand, you could choose to give more information on whatever issues you have with the GNOME in Stretch and maybe someone could offer assistance with that problem. Gosh, we don't even know the specifications of the computer you are trying this on are. Give details rather than vague statements like "3.22 is functioning not with that amount of smoothness like debian jessie Gnome". It is a big world, we probably don't all define "smoothness" the same way. Troubleshooters need actual data to figure things out, try to describe what you experience as if you were describing it to a blind person, because we can't see over your shoulder to see what is happening on the screen.

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

manash k pal wrote:ok sir, thanks for your valuable answer. but, when I start the upgradation process , then , I think the Gnome desktop 3.14 will be changed to its latter version ( i.e 3.22 ), which I dont like to happen. am i right or wrong ? I should know.
dear lady,
do not upgrade!
install oldstable.
leave it that way. you can 'apt update && apt upgrade', but no dist-upgrade.
if you need some newer software, look if it's available in jessie-backports, and install that.