Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

250MB of memory disappeared

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ruffwoof

250MB of memory disappeared

#1 Post by ruffwoof »

I was running Jessie using a Nvidia 8600GT PCI board. I over-wrote that however with OpenBSD and as part of that removed the nvidia card so as to run with the on board Radeon ATI. Having played around with OpenBSD (and not liking its upgrade/security patching approach) I installed Stretch ... and now notice that htop shows around 250MB less memory than before (2GB has reduced down to 1.75GB).

I'm thinking that's possibly down to the onboard Radeon reserving/using some of the main memory for graphics such that I shouldn't be concerned. But I'm mindful that assumption could be wrong and that maybe I should be investigating further.

Is such a memory difference for different graphics cards/devices usual?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 250MB of memory disappeared

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Yes.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

check your BIOS.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

ruffwoof wrote:Is such a memory difference for different graphics cards/devices usual?
Yes. If the onboard GPU is integrated in the chipset (IGP) or the processor (APU), when it is enabled a part of the system RAM is reserved as graphics memory and is not available as general purpose memory. Sometimes the BIOS/UEFI firmware setup allows to set the amount of memory allocated to the GPU.

However if the onboard GPU is independant from the chipset and the processor (and is the same as those which can be found on add-in graphics cards), it usually has its own graphics memory. I have seen this setup with Matrox or ATI GPUs on a few rather old machines.