Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 8 DHCP Server error "Failed to start LSB: DHCP Server

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
BorrowedByte

Debian 8 DHCP Server error "Failed to start LSB: DHCP Server

#1 Post by BorrowedByte »

Hello

I installed Debian 8 on Virtual Box and also updated and upgraded, but when I install DHCP and edited the files with my config, when i try to do a "service isc-dhcp-server restart" i got this message "Failed to start LSB: DHCP Server".
I had tried my config and also diferent ones from tutorials on youtube, and keeps doing the same.

What could be the problem please? Thanks in advance for your help.

reinob

Re: Debian 8 DHCP Server error "Failed to start LSB: DHCP Se

#2 Post by reinob »

BorrowedByte wrote:Hello

I installed Debian 8 on Virtual Box and also updated and upgraded, but when I install DHCP and edited the files with my config, when i try to do a "service isc-dhcp-server restart" i got this message "Failed to start LSB: DHCP Server".
I had tried my config and also diferent ones from tutorials on youtube, and keeps doing the same.

What could be the problem please? Thanks in advance for your help.
Well, for starters, check the relevant logs and post here whatever may look relevant.
Then we take it from there..

BorrowedByte

#3 Post by BorrowedByte »

So far this is my config, but still not working
Any help will be great, its driving me mad allready....

Woefdram

#4 Post by Woefdram »

It seems to me that you're trying to run a DHCP server on an interface that is configurerd with DHCP. You have mixed up the configuration of your network card, as defined in /etc/network/interfaces.

You have

Code: Select all

iface eth0 inet dhcp
  address ..
  netmask ..
You should replace the "dhcp" with "static" (and restart the interface).

My guess is that the dhcp-client takes the interface, so that the dhcp-server can not.

BorrowedByte

#5 Post by BorrowedByte »

Thanks a lot Woefdram if was that and also a bug generated with the "nano" when i configured de dhcpd.conf i created some conflicts, i deleted the file and created a new one, but this time i used "vi" instead of "nano" to add my configuration, and it worked fine.

Again thanks a lot for your help as been very helpful.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

in addition to everything else, you might want to be using systemd commands (systemctl start xxxx.service in this case) instead.
jessie already made the switch to systemd. the old sysvinit commands still work, though.

BorrowedByte

#7 Post by BorrowedByte »

debiman wrote:in addition to everything else, you might want to be using systemd commands (systemctl start xxxx.service in this case) instead.
jessie already made the switch to systemd. the old sysvinit commands still work, though.
Thanks a lot for your hep debiman, very appreciated :)