Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Help For Debian 9 NVIDIA Proprietary Driver Installation

Need help with peripherals or devices?
frogwine

Help For Debian 9 NVIDIA Proprietary Driver Installation

#1 Post by frogwine »

Hi, i looking must of Linux distros but i couldn't find most stable than Debian. I tried for 2 times on same computer, but i can't install official Nvidia drivers. With the nouveau, my computer doesn't work right. Nouveau makes trouble on my computer at all of Linux distros. If i won't add nomodeset parameter in Grub menu on installation, system goes crashing.

So i must install Nvidia proprietary for works.

My steps;

Added non-official firmware repos.
Installed nvidia package.
Ran nvidia-xconfig and rebooted.

And so, i got blackscreen. I tried this for 2 times, they are same.

My hardware
MSI GP62 6QE.
Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU.
8G RAM.
GTX 950m.

Segfault

Re: Help For Debian 9 NVIDIA Proprietary Driver Installation

#2 Post by Segfault »

You probably have hybrid graphics. Meaning you have 1.5 graphics cards. nVidia can process the video, but needs to pass it over to Intel in order to get it drawn to the screen.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

It is equipped with 2GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 950M dedicated GPU alongside Intel HD Graphics 530 integrated graphics which delivers great gaming performance.
You are correct!
MX Linux packager and developer

frogwine

#4 Post by frogwine »

Segfault wrote:You probably have hybrid graphics. Meaning you have 1.5 graphics cards. nVidia can process the video, but needs to pass it over to Intel in order to get it drawn to the screen.
Yes, i want actually to do it. Using the full of Intel HD. I want disable Nvidia graphics completely on ONLY DEBIAN. Already i can't select which graphics to use in BIOS menu.