Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Select and install software fails. [WAIT NO NOT SOLVED]

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Bog

Select and install software fails. [WAIT NO NOT SOLVED]

#1 Post by Bog »

Debian 9.2.1 i386

I have the most vanilla hardware you could hope for. So much so, that you might want to convert this to a bug report.

Low-power 32 bit Pentium M. 4Gb ram. Installing onto a 750gb drive that runs fine in knoppix and I checked it against badblocks. Empty drive.

I used all three 32 bit debian disks, no problems there. Graphical install:

When I got to "Select and Install Software", everything went great for the 15 minutes; swimmingly, and it got all the way (or nearly) to the end of the progress bar and gave:

"An installation step failed. You can try to run the failing item again from the menu, or skip it and choose something else. The failing step is: Select and install software."

So, naturally I tried skipping it.

Went back to the next step on the list, which is installing grub.

"The "grub-pc" package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot."

My hardware is pristine; ideal; not nuanced whatsoever; vanilla; tested; using the latest full release, not beta, Debian 9.2.1 i386. So you can't blame my particular system. (I've been a LAMP developer for 20 years.) We want to switch from CentOS to Debian but.... this is... we dipped our toe in and it burns, right?

I'm leaving the install window open on that box, ready when you are, to help fix your broken installer.

Please advise.
Last edited by Bog on 2017-10-29 00:36, edited 2 times in total.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Select and install software fails. (Your installer is...

#2 Post by p.H »

Switch to the log console with Ctrl+Alt+F4 to display the latest installer logs for more details about the failure.
If you need more depth, you can switch to a shell console with Alt+F2 and examine the full logs in /var/log/.
If it is a kernel error, you can also run dmesg to display kernel logs.
There could be no space left on a target filesystem. Check with df.

Bog

#3 Post by Bog »

Thanks, there's definitely enough space on the drive, it's 750 gig and was blank before install. But here's what the logs say, image attached.

Oh, your forum is broken. When I attach an image it throws a 500.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

filesystem != drive
You can have a full filesystem on an almost empty drive if the partition is too small.

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Oh, your forum is broken. When I attach an image it throws a 500.
No it is not broken, it does not allow attachments. You upload the image to a storage site
of your choice and us the

Code: Select all

[img]img url goes here [/img]

But here's what the logs say, image attached.
You shouldn't need a image to post the content of some logs any way, just copy
past the out put of the log into the post, and please use 'code boxes" like this:
For example:
Dmesg output (part)

real mem = 3164598272 (3017MB)
avail mem = 3061723136 (2919MB)
mpath0 at root
scsibus0 at mpath0: 256 targets
mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.5 @ 0xf0450 (82 entries)
bios0: vendor Dell Inc. version "A06" date 11/03/2010
bios0: Dell Inc. OptiPlex 780
You can also upload the logs to :http://paste.debian.net/ if it is to big. You then
just post a link to where you have the file. There are more details here:
Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxes
(I've been a LAMP developer for 20 years.)
I am sure someone with so much experience won't have trouble figuring it out,
the out of 'df' as requested would be help full.
----------- edited ------------
-----to help fix your broken installer.
P.S. I don't think the installer is broken, it worked fine for me, even on my old worn out
computers,
bog>>My hardware is pristine; ideal; not nuanced whatsoever; vanilla; tested; using the latest full release, not beta, Debian 9.2.1 i386. So you can't blame my particular system.
However, some of the newest "pristine" hardware is known to be very problematic.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-10-28 12:51, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Bog wrote:Oh, your forum is broken. When I attach an image it throws a 500.
Our forum is run on a shoestring, please do not attempt to abuse our limited resources and instead post a thumbnail link using an image hosting site such as https://scrot.moe/

If the installer won't work for you, try this method instead:

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... 03.html.en

I have to use that to install Debian to a btrfs subvolume, it works well.

Finally, these boards are for Debian users and there are no developers here (AFAIK) so a more humble attitude would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by p.H »

GarryRicketson wrote:You shouldn't need a image to post the content of some logs any way, just copy
past the out put of the log into the post
I would agree in the general case. But when running the Debian installer, you cannot just "copy and paste into the forum".

What can be done is manually mount some persistent filesystem (e.g. USB drive) and copy the installer log file from /var/log/ on it. A LAMP developper should not have any trouble to do this.

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

What can be done is manually mount some persistent filesystem (e.g. USB drive) and copy the installer log file from /var/log/
Your right, that is what I have done, in the past when I needed to get a copy of a log.
for example:

# mount /dev/sd1i usb
# exit
$dmesg > /home/garry/usb/dmesg.txt

Puts the contents of "dmesg" in a file named "dmesg.txt" on the usb stick, that is mounted in my "usb" dir, it could be /mnt as well, it all depends on where they mount the device to. But then the contents of dmesg.txt, can be copied / pasted when the device is mounted on a working system. of
. A LAMP developer should not have any trouble to do this.
I am sure they wouldn't, in fact I kind of assume they know these basics, so I did not go into details, but for those that do not know how,...
Of course, in this case since they all ready have a photo, it might be easier just to use that, I never could figure out how to get a screen shot, of the screen when running the installer , but I guess that is another topic

Bog

#9 Post by Bog »

Wow it's so great to have so much of a response!

Ok a lot to cover here (thankfully):
No it is not broken, it does not allow attachments. You upload the image to a storage site
of your choice and us the
Oh I see. The reply page provides the option, you can probably disable that. But hey I mean no problem, just a suggestion.
Our forum is run on a shoestring, please do not attempt to abuse our limited resources
How am attempting to abuse your resources? I don't understand.
Of course, in this case since they all ready have a photo, it might be easier just to use that
Yep, ok- so, since I already have the photo, I may as well paste it here. If you guys really want the text then I'll go to the trouble (actually I checked if I could scp it but scp isn't there. oh well, worth a shot.) Anyway, let me know if this cap is good enough,

(I'm using URL tags instead because when I preview it looks like it's cutting off, and this is a better fit:

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/3751/lrA7bp.jpg

Looks like a dependency type of problem. I'm thinking maybe I should try reinstalling but only use the first disk. (That would weed out the other repositories right?) I kinda doubt that though, and it would be too bad if I can't use the other disks.

Should I go ahead and try the apt --fix-broken install ? I mean that may sound like the obvious thing to do, but, the reason I hesitate is that what I'm doing is so vanilla that I figured this shouldn't be happening at all. You know what I mean... That step wouldn't be normal... so I figured I'll wait for advice first in case you want me to debug.

Speaking of screenshots, looks like enough room right:

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/7637/9k0g2a.jpg

Oh and yep, I know this isn't a developer forum, but I figured I'd be useful for you to let you all know up front what my capabilities are when you're providing advice, thanks.

thanks much, this is great,

b

Bog

#10 Post by Bog »

Oh crap wait, it's a bad dvd maybe?!

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ This.
deadbang

Bog

#12 Post by Bog »

Yea I was focussing on the dependency errors and didn't notice the Joliet stuff. Woo! Thanks guys. Good to know how to switch to the log and/or shell.

Bog

Re: Select and install software fails. [WAIT NO NOT SOLVED]

#13 Post by Bog »

No. No. I take it back. It's not broken media. And it's not the drive. It's not me It's on your side. It's either the installer or your iso images.

I have, over the day, done the following:

Used new media on three different *sets* of disks. The same DVD drive (external) had no problem installing Centos 6.9 on a different machine 6 days ago. This is the same hardware and media that worked like two days ago and for 2 years.
Knoppix has no problem with it. Hell, the Knoppix disk was burned on the same external drive as I was originally burning/installing with. (Knoppix version is 7.7.1).

I downloaded the iso's again, this time using http instead of torrenting like I did the first time, and then used a different DVDR drive to burn them.

I've been through a total of 9 DVDs. (Three sets of three.) Something is wrong with your images.

This is not on me.

Please advise. And/or convert this to a bug report.

EDIT: Oh I thought bug reports were on the same set of forum categories. Ok, well, I guess I should just give up and go to them? Still seems so odd.
Last edited by Bog on 2017-10-29 01:49, edited 1 time in total.

Bog

#14 Post by Bog »

Oh and yea, the logs are identical; throw the same errors.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

You do realise (again) that this is the Debian USER forum?
We are USERS, just like you.
If you want to make a bug report, go ahead.
If you want to talk to the devs, they will be on the mailing lists.

Why are you faffing about with DVD images? I don't recall ever using them.
Why not try the netinstall image and install direct from the repo's?
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Bog

#16 Post by Bog »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:You do realise (again) that this is the Debian USER forum?
We are USERS, just like you.
If you want to make a bug report, go ahead.
If you want to talk to the devs, they will be on the mailing lists.

Why are you faffing about with DVD images? I don't recall ever using them.
Why not try the netinstall image and install direct from the repo's?
I don't understand how that qualifies as "faffing".

And as for this being a user forum, sure, but did you RTFT? I'm grateful to say that all of the responses have been technical.

Hopefully one of them will see and chime in instead of you. They've been so great so far. (And technical.)

Oh and it seems like installing from repo would not only introduce more complexity to the situation (opposite of occam's razor), but even if it works, it would be indicative of a deeper problem
Last edited by Bog on 2017-10-29 01:27, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#17 Post by GarryRicketson »

by Bog » I should try reinstalling but only use the first disk. (That would weed out the other repositories right?)
I am thinking maybe you have not read any of the install documentation, to start with,
no , you do not need all those DVDs, Yes, the first one is all you need:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstall
Although there are over 30 CDs (or 5 DVDs) in a full set, only the first CD is required to install Debian. The additional CDs are optional and include extra packages, that can be downloaded individually during the installation, or later.
If you want to file a bug report:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 04.html.en
5.4.7. Submitting Installation Reports
----- (part)----If you have a working Debian system, the easiest way to send an installation report is to install the installation-report and reportbug packages (apt install installation-report reportbug), configure reportbug as explained in Section 8.5.2, “Sending E-Mails Outside The System”, and run the command reportbug installation-reports.

Alternatively you can use this template when filling out installation reports, and file the report as a bug report against the installation-reports pseudo package, by sending it to <submit@bugs.debian.org>.

Package: installation-reports

Boot method: <How did you boot the installer? CD? floppy? network?>
Image version: <Full URL to image you downloaded is best>
Date: <Date and time of the install>

Machine: <Description of machine (eg, IBM Thinkpad R32)>
Processor:
Memory:
Partitions: <df -Tl will do; the raw partition table is preferred>

Output of lspci -knn (or lspci -nn):

Base System Installation Checklist:
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

Initial boot:           [ ]
Detect network card:    [ ]
Configure network:      [ ]
Detect CD:              [ ]
Load installer modules: [ ]
Detect hard drives:     [ ]
Partition hard drives:  [ ]
Install base system:    [ ]
Clock/timezone setup:   [ ]
User/password setup:    [ ]
Install tasks:          [ ]
Install boot loader:    [ ]
Overall install:        [ ]

Comments/Problems:

<Description of the install, in prose, and any thoughts, comments
      and ideas you had during the initial install.>
===== edited ================
There is a lot of information available, and it is very important, especially when it is someone that has never installed Debian before, there is to much to explain in 1 or 2 posts, it probably is not that the installer is broken or that the ISO is no good, that might
depend on which iso you are using to start with though.
Note:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... -of-debian
"Initially, you will only need to download and use the first image of a set (labelled as debian-something-1 to be able to start the Debian installer and set up Debian on your computer. If there are more images available here (labelled debian-something-2, debian-something-3, etc.), they contain the extra packages that can be installed on a Debian system (as mentioned previously). They will not be bootable and are entirely optional.
I have never tried using any of the other CD or DVD images, and all ways just use 1 Dvd.
So I am having to do some searches, and find more info on doing it that way, you should
have and could do that your self, before starting this project. Using multiple DVD's is not
recommended, it would be a last resort and only in a situation where one did not have internet access, and they needed all the bell's and whistles, etc. The first DVD is all you need to install a very reliable and working OS.
99% of the people that have problems installing, the problem was not the ISO or DVD, but the simple fact that they read 0 documentation, and the other 1% is because they have very unusual types of hardware.
------------------ edited again-----------------
Furthermore, in most cases it is not necessary to download all of the images for your architecture. The packages are sorted by popularity: The first CD/DVD/BD contains the installation system and the most popular packages. The second one contains slightly less popular ones, the third one even less popular ones, etc. You will probably only need the first couple of DVDs (or the first few CDs) unless you have very special requirements. (And in case you happen to need a package later on which is not on one of the CDs/DVDs/BDs you downloaded, you can always install that package directly from the Internet.)
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-10-29 02:04, edited 1 time in total.

Bog

#18 Post by Bog »

It's weird that you're quoting me saying exactly what you said in response. The reason I said maybe I should just use the first disk is because I read the documentation and hence I know that I only need the first one. I mean, are we misunderstanding each other? Look at what you quoted. I wouldn't know that I only need the first disc without having read the documentation saying that.

As for the rest, thanks much, I guess I'll give up and file a bug report. I was waiting until people here on the thread gave me a shrug and kinda said, well, we're out of ideas. In other words, like, you know- I should seek advice to fix a problem before jumping into a bug report, right. That's usually the path.

Thanks again, ug! Darn,

bog

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#19 Post by p.H »

Bog, I'm going to say it straight : the way you write is unpleasant. This place is not official Debian support, no one here is going to fix the installation images, open a ticket, file a bug for you or whatever. The people here are not responsible for Debian bugs, they are just users, like you.

That being said, let's go technical.

What made you think that the DVD was faulty ? I see nothing in the installer log picture pointing to this direction. The ISO9660 are juste normal kernel messages which appear when an ISO 9660 filesystem is mounted.

Did you configure a network connection and select a Debian mirror during your installation attempts ?

From the installer log picture, we can see that dpkg (low level Debian package tool) won't install apper because it depends on polkit-kde-1 or policykit-1-gnome but none is installed.
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/apper confirms that apper depends on either of these two packages.
Then got the first 3 DVD image contents from http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/9.2.1/i386/list-dvd and search these packages.

$ zegrep "^(apper_|policykit-1-gnome|polkit-kde-1)" debian-9.2.1-i386-DVD-*
debian-9.2.1-i386-DVD-1.list.gz:apper_0.9.2+git20161222-3_i386.deb
debian-9.2.1-i386-DVD-1.list.gz:policykit-1-gnome_0.105-6_i386.deb
debian-9.2.1-i386-DVD-2.list.gz:polkit-kde-1_5.8.4-1_all.deb
So apper and policykit-1-gnome is on DVD 1, polkit-kde-1 is on DVD 2.

Actually I do not understand why dpkg tried to install apper with missing dependencies. Apt should have installed the dependencies first, or issued an error if they could not be installed. The dependencies for "Package: apper" in the /dists/stretch/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz file on the DVD 1 may be incomplete and miss these dependencies, but that seems unlikely. But since I am not going to download the full 4 GB DVD 1 image, I cannot check it.

You could try to install any of them from the installer shell and see what happens.

apt-install polkit-kde-1
apt-install is a Debian installer tool which allows to install packages on the target system. Not to be confused with anna which installs Debian installer components (.udeb) on the installer itself, or apt which installs packages from the target system.

giul51

#20 Post by giul51 »

I had the same problem with one of the first releases of Jessie (8.3). Filed a bug report with no result. Waited for 8.4, same problem. Could not find the reason for that.
I could finally by-pass the problem by using only the first disk, and - during installation- choosing not to scan other dvd except the first. I installed later some of the needed software.