Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

EXT4 Broken Blues Debian 8.0 Jessie

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Rhys

EXT4 Broken Blues Debian 8.0 Jessie

#1 Post by Rhys »

Well I successfully read through the forums and documentation and found /dev/md0 in my system was at 100% at 4.5GiB.
fdisk
fsck
resize2fs
The next task seemed simple enough find a way to increase the capacity for md0 to restore operation.
resize2fs
"filesystem is already 1222912(4k) blocks long. Nothing to do"

Increase partition size?
I began cautiously with fdisk /dev/md0 (util -linux 2.25.2)
I was given a warning about the EXT4 format and suggested to use wipefs(8)
I quit fdisk to research.

I then lost dev/md1 upon rebooting
"superblock could not be read or does not describe valid EXT2/EXT3/EXT4 filesystem.
superblock corrupt (if not swap, ufs or other)
e2fsck with alternate superblock
fail code (8)

"unable to remount kernel"
no issues with /dev/hdd mounting and plenty of hard disk space.

What is the logical next best step or course of action?
Thank you in advance

I acquired this machine recently and had hoped to have some non-critical time to gain experience with the system but it is Halloween weekend.

acewiza

Re: EXT4 Broken Blues Debian 8.0 Jessie

#2 Post by acewiza »

Rhys wrote:I began cautiously with fdisk...
And thus began another sad tale of fdisk famous last words.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

Rhys wrote:What is the logical next best step or course of action?
Describe the original setup. You didn't even tell what is on the disks, what md0 and md1 are, what they contain...
Describe accurately what you did afterwards, the exact commands with their arguments. You said you ran fdisk, but you did not say what you did with fdisk.

Rhys

#4 Post by Rhys »

acewiza wrote:
Rhys wrote:I began cautiously with fdisk...
And thus began another sad tale of fdisk famous last words.
Ouch reads like a tool with two edges and much lost on the keyboard. Thanks for the ominous reply of disaster.

Rhys

#5 Post by Rhys »

p.H wrote:
Rhys wrote:What is the logical next best step or course of action?
Describe the original setup. You didn't even tell what is on the disks, what md0 and md1 are, what they contain...
Describe accurately what you did afterwards, the exact commands with their arguments. You said you ran fdisk, but you did not say what you did with fdisk.
I suspect by the original failure md0 is a mounted drive connection to a MYSQL 5.1 interface which lost communications with the application reaching 100%
I suspect by the current failure md1 is a mounted drive related to the interface between Debian and application since the startup sequence can't create the /home directory or mount the kernel.

Original setup was operational until MySQL couldn't be connected and led to checking the filesystem.

fdisk -l /dev/md0
checked verified 100% full
unable to increase md0 size "nothing to do

fdisk /dev/md0
warning-valid EXT4 signature" recommend 'wipefs'
entered q to quit fdisk

shutdown sequence and restart

unable to mount md1

Perhaps if I can't communicate the problem, I don't understand it well myself which leads me to the necessary step which is go through my notes. I thought I was being cautious and just taking actions that 'read' information including manual files and halting with any warning like the wipefs.
Thank you

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

Rhys wrote:Perhaps if I can't communicate the problem, I don't understand it well myself
All I can say is that the explainations in your latest post do not make any sense to me.

Rhys

#7 Post by Rhys »

p.H wrote:
Rhys wrote:Perhaps if I can't communicate the problem, I don't understand it well myself
All I can say is that the explainations in your latest post do not make any sense to me.
Thank you p.H for attempting to communicate.

I found the fstab indicated an error an had set md0 and md1 to ro read-only.

/etc/fstab

I edited the file changing md0 and md1 to 'rw' and cleared the mounting error. First problem SOLVED.

Next step learn how to extend md0 as an EXT4 device beyond 4.5GiB to resolve 100% usage.

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

ok, just the first thing that shoots into my head after glancing at this confusing thread:
has md0 been unmounted before attempting to operate on it?
is there enough space on the physical device to enlargen a partition?
is md0 even a physical partition (seems not)?