Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Keyboard/Terminal freezes occasionally

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
djevil

Keyboard/Terminal freezes occasionally

#1 Post by djevil »

Hi,
I have this problem that my keyboard freezes sometimes.
It occurs mostly when I work in the terminal(konsole) but very seldom in other applications, too.
I'm using konsole with zsh and I purged and reinstalled both, which did not help.

How can I find out why this happens?

Regards djevil

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Keyboard/Terminal freezes occasionally

#2 Post by sunrat »

Check for error messages. journalctl, dmesg, xsession-errors, xorg.log etc.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

are you saying this happens only in the terminal?
if so, you can troubleshoot:
does it still happen when you use a different terminal emulator? a different shell?

FinnJoye

#4 Post by FinnJoye »

There is not really enough information to answer your question. For example, does just one terminal window become frozen, or the whole desktop? Do non-keyboard activities (mouse, etc.) continue to work? Can you log in from somewhere else when this happens? What application is running when this happens? It's worth noting that non-full-screen non-curses applications running on the terminal won't prevent your keypresses from showing up, because the kernel continues to do cooked mode terminal input processing, so even hung applications in a terminal won't usually cause the effect you're describing