Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian based Distros... Really better?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
acewiza

Re: Debian based Distros... Really better?

#21 Post by acewiza »

Debian-"based?" Redhat-"based?" Whatever-"based?" I believe the distinction you may be alluding to refers to what I call "1st echelon Linux." - Debian, Redhat, Slackware - and everything else. Other than that, "everything else" is going to be a developer's crapshoot of one sort or another. Support, compatibility, maintenance, etc. all come up for increasing levels of question-ability the further out into the distro tree you go: http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/OnlineDocs/L ... x-Tree.svg

So the answer has to be a definitive "no." Better for what? Your question only raises more, increasingly complicated questions.
Last edited by acewiza on 2017-11-02 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

panpan

#22 Post by panpan »

makh wrote:Hi

a) Please inform that if you have found any of the debian based distro to be better and more polished then Debian, as claimed usually.

b) Please do inform the advantages you actually got.

c) Should the Debian based distros continue to develop, or they should rather be the respins?

d) Distro watch claims most users of Linux Mint, right now. Do you agree?

Thankyou
I saw this topic accidentally and I thought to react. My advice, before you publish something think about it several times. You ask in the Debian forum, where probably are many devs from derivatives of Debian which one is better and you ask more things which go to escalation of tensions .
If you don’t understand this is the basic attitude of a troll, something I think you don’t like to get it.

HuangLao

#23 Post by HuangLao »

makh, this should help you.

Note, the more you stay to the left of this graph/grid the safer the choices....

http://futurist.se/gldt/wp-content/uplo ... dt1210.png

Only you can tell what you will like, utilize virutalbox or virt-manager and have fun. Personally, I like to stay as close to the "original" distros as possible with a few exceptions.

stevepusser

#24 Post by stevepusser »

makh wrote:
stevepusser wrote:I like chocolate chip ice cream better than vanilla, therefore it is better.

What is better for auto racing, a Ferrari or a Baja 1000 4WD truck?

I hope this helps you see that your question is equally nonsensical.
Sir! I am more than sorry that you got disturbed, but still managed to read a full page of discussion.

From your signature, and other activities on this forum, it seems you are quite a Guru of Debian/MX. But there may be people like me, who cant code, and cannot probably compile on their own and cannot read source codes to fix the bugs and may have other issues in using linux/debian.

The very purpose of this talk is already clear in the subject. If you cannot help or guide, then theres no need to TROLL here.

Just to clear you, only: I am trying to find "using VMs, and other peoples experience" of a debian based distro, that may give an excellent desktop/laptop experience, but within debian range.

Thankyou
I'm not angry, just trying to get you to see that the answer to your question is "it depends."
MX Linux packager and developer

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#25 Post by arochester »

The very purpose of this talk is already clear in the subject.
This is Debian User Forums, for people who use Debian.

If someone has found that an alternative Debian based distro is better why should they use Debian User Forums?

"Debian based distros" have bits added, bits removed and bits changed, so they might be "Debian based" but they are no longer Debian. When someone has a problem with a "Debian based distro" their difficulty might be with the remaining, uncertain, Debian part ---or those other "bits"

In more practical terms is someone prefers SparkyLinux they should use SparkyLinux Forums to gain the best advantage.

Debian Users are ...well...people who prefer and use Debian.

Do you reasonably expect Debian Users to say "I prefer XYZLinux to Debian because ..."

Bulkley

#26 Post by Bulkley »

Debian makes it easy to install a minimum of what is needed and then add what you want. What you wind up with is your very own custom distribution. What could be better than that?

makh

#27 Post by makh »

Hi

@panpan: I specified only 4 points, in case you did read my first post.

@Bulkey: You have a good point. Thats why I use openbox more than cinnamon.

@HuangLao: Thankyou.

@acewiza: same as above for panpan.

Thankyou
ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

debiman

#28 Post by debiman »

makh wrote:distro, that may give an excellent desktop/laptop experience
the problem is that op assumes there's some sort of objective status of excellency (or any other similarly subjective term of qualification).

the other problem is that op has done this sort of bs more than once and must have already known what the natural outcome of a thread like this will be, when they started it. so, troll.

alan stone

#29 Post by alan stone »

makh wrote:Debian based Distros... Really better?
It depends on the user and use. For the latter, did you have a look to the distribution search feature here, in particular the "Distribution category" drop-down box in the "Search by Distribution Criteria (Simple Search Form)" section.

GarryRicketson

#30 Post by GarryRicketson »

stevepusser wrote:I like chocolate chip ice cream better than vanilla, therefore it is better.

What is better for auto racing, a Ferrari or a Baja 1000 4WD truck?

I hope this helps you see that your question is equally nonsensical.
+100
I don't care what distro watch says, nor what everyone else says, I like what I like, and that is the best.
As far as Linux Distros go, well, Linux is for the birds any more. But for me Debian is the better one.
But after all said and done, the BSD's run circles around the current Linux distros (in my opinion ) , especially OpenBsd.
How ever, since this is Debian User Forums, as mentioned by Arochester,
arochester>>This is Debian User Forums, for people who use Debian.
If someone has found that an alternative Debian based distro is better why should they use Debian User Forums?
Postby makh » 2017-10-30 19:36
Hi

a) Please inform that if you have found any of the debian based distro to be better and more polished then Debian, as claimed usually.
NONE
------------
b) Please do inform the advantages you actually got.
Absolutely 0, none
c) Should the Debian based distros continue to develop, or they should rather be the respins?
What difference does it make?, they will continue, no matter if anyone thinks they should or shouldn't. Besides that, who would enforce not allowing them to continue , You or some witch doctor ?
d) Distro watch claims most users of Linux Mint, right now. Do you agree?
NO, and again, I will say, I don't care what distro watch and some witch doctor
says.
Just look at the OPs signature:
Employing the best:
Arabic
Debian
Homeopathic

For new: Try Linux Mint
I have said it before, but say again, I would not suggest Linux Mint to my worst enemy, and I certainly would not suggest any one use a witch doctor, even my worst enemy. This thread is For the Birds

MALsPa

#31 Post by MALsPa »

I, for one, appreciate having those Debian-based distros out there; they do come in handy at times. I also appreciate all the time and effort that goes into them.

It's kinda humorous to me how people here pile on the OP for what they call "trolling," but maybe some of you ought to relax and chill a little bit. This thread could have been a nice, friendly discussion but some folks just want to go on the attack. Too quick to jump in and put somebody else down, in my opinion. What's up with that???

I'm mainly using Debian (and Arch) these days, but I have an Antergos installation and a BunsenLabs installation, and I keep MX and GParted Live (another handy Debian-based distro) on flash drives.

MX, BunsenLabs, and Linux Mint are kinda nice for when you want a quick, easy installation and setup. Debian is fairly easy to install, but there are times when it's really less of a hassle to go with something else. I have one sorta problematic computer that I don't use much, but I don't want to get rid of it yet, so I have BunsenLabs living there.

With many of these Debian-based distros, the live sessions still seem better to me than what Debian offers. MX is excellent for live sessions, as was Mepis. I like to play around with Knoppix in live sessions sometimes (mainly to see what's going on with that distro -- Knoppix was one of the first Linux distros I experimented with).

I don't run Mint here anymore, and I've also stopped running Ubuntu, but both of those have worked out fine for me in the past. Seems to be a lot of hatred here for those two distros, but whatever.

In the end, I simply need to get things done, and no distro is perfect. I don't care if one distro is a little more "polished" than another, or if someone else thinks that one distro is "better" than another. They're all just tools, and I like having many tools available for use. (I don't own only one flat-head screwdriver!)

andre@home

#32 Post by andre@home »

makh wrote:
debiman wrote:it looks like an objective request for opinions, but i think it's just trolling.
Sir! Due to some reasons I came from ubuntu and open suse to debian.
But now a days, basic use debian package isnt working: xbacklight. Wiki & handbook are still for ver 8. So I wanted to know opinion on the based distros. If you still want to call it a trolling ... :cry:
Maybe it was a better starter when you gave reasons/explanation why you want to know this all.
You could also write down then the topics you find to be important, a kind of requirement list, so that people can comment on it whether it is in or when it is present what their opinion is on the quality.
The questions now are very broad, does not stimulate a lot of people, more than now tried to do their best, to answer you.
And for you it will also be much better: you may expect a higher quality answer on your more focused questions.

The background of your question is very interesting, why and how do the several Debian distros' differ and next what are the quality differences. As the users may/will differ in the use/purpose of their Debian, what will be the advantage they will get to change to another Debian distro?

The way it asked does not inspire me to give answers.

makh

#33 Post by makh »

@ MALsPa: +1 & Thanks. :)

@ andre@home: My focus was actually on the 4 points, I stated on my first thread. Anyways... thankyou.

@ alan stone: That search doesnt gives answers to my specific points.

@ GarryRicketson: Thanks for your feedback. But homeopathic is a science, I am not an expert in. But according to:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/witchcraftDefinition of witchcraft
1 a :the use of sorcery or magic
b :communication with the devil or with a familiar
2 :an irresistible influence or fascination
I dont find any indications of these things in this medical science, till now. But do start a thread on OFF TOPIC for the knowledge of all here.

stevepusser

#34 Post by stevepusser »

Bring on your thread about homeopathic "science." Just tell me why there are official homeopathic preparations of plutonium, owl, and moonlight. Not kidding.

Yes, antiX and MX Linux both have the same very easy to use GUI tool to make an Live and installable ISO backup of your whole system, including user data, or else a customized version of MX without your user data. But again, it depends on you as to whether that's a killer feature or useless.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#35 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

makh wrote:homeopathic is a science
Most scientists would disagree with you on that one:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/200 ... ncenews.g2

See also http://www.badscience.net/category/comp ... omeopathy/

And there are always the randomised controlled trials, these consistently _prove_ that the effect of homeopathy is no greater than that observed in the placebo group:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/homeop ... ince-1835/
deadbang

makh

#36 Post by makh »

@ Head_on_a_Stick: Why dont you start a thread on it in OFF TOPIC. I will answer you there, as I stated before also to Garry. Thankyou.

pawRoot

#37 Post by pawRoot »

This guy "makh" has to be a troll.

makh

#38 Post by makh »

Hi

I would like to know something, ... especially from "Stevepusser":

Code: Select all

Is the programming code of the Debian based distros, cross checked by the Debian Developers / Maintainers, to bring the "[b]good stuff[/b]" "[u]back ported[/u]" to Debian? ... eg Printer support, or other.
Actually, on the package pages, there are references to the upstream creators only.

Thankyou

RU55EL

#39 Post by RU55EL »

makh wrote:[...]But homeopathic is a science[...]
No, it is not!
pawRoot wrote:This guy "makh" has to be a troll.
I'm beginning to think that this is true.

MALsPa

#40 Post by MALsPa »

makh wrote:I would like to know something, ... especially from "Stevepusser":

Code: Select all

Is the programming code of the Debian based distros, cross checked by the Debian Developers / Maintainers, to bring the "[b]good stuff[/b]" "[u]back ported[/u]" to Debian? ... eg Printer support, or other.
Actually, on the package pages, there are references to the upstream creators only.
Seems like this would be a good idea, but I doubt that it happens much.