Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Missing Nvidia library

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
royearle

Missing Nvidia library

#1 Post by royearle »

Hopefully somebody out there can help. When I try to run VLC in order to play a video I get the following message:

lilly@debian:~$ vlc
VLC media player 2.2.6 Umbrella (revision 2.2.6-0-g1aae78981c)
[016b7930] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[99713ef0] xcb_xv vout display error: no available XVideo adaptor
[017c21f0] freetype spu text error: Breaking unbreakable line
Segmentation fault

I assume that this has to do with my onboard Nvidia video. I have searched everywhere that I can think of in an effort to find the missing library.

Can anyone please tell me where I can get this Nvidia library and how I can install it?

I am running Debian 9 on an old HP Pavilion box so it’s a 32 bit version.

Thanks.

peter_irich

Re: Missing Nvidia library

#2 Post by peter_irich »

First, install nvidia-vdpau-driver and try again.
xserver-xorg-video-nvidia already must be installed.
If crash will repeat, search by error message, for example, by "no available XVideo adaptor".

Peter.

royearle

Re: Missing Nvidia library

#3 Post by royearle »

Once I found where the Nvidia drivers were located, I applied them and it worked like a champ. Thanks for the solution!