Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can’t install anything via dpkg, Synaptic, or Software app

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
New-to-Linux

Can’t install anything via dpkg, Synaptic, or Software app

#1 Post by New-to-Linux »

Hi all. I got a brand new PC with a 250Gb M.2 SSD for the OS and a 8Tb HDD for data (formatted to ext4 and not connected at the moment). Installed Debian 9.1.0-amd64, really like the GUI but Debian didn’t let me to install any software I’ve downloaded.

When I log-in as admin and used Terminal with command: dpkg –i vivaldi-stable_1.12.955.38-1_amd64.deb
The system said: dpkg: error: requested operation requires superuser privilege

When I right-click the .def file and tried to open in Software app
The system said: Sorry, this did not work. The file is not supported.

When using Synaptic, using File > Add download packages
All .deb file were greyed out and cannot be selected.
I can click open for the LibreOffice and Sophos folders, Synaptic had no respond, no action.

These are mundane software I want to install, nothing unusual.
amarok_2.8.0-8_amd64.deb
google-earth-pro-stable_7.3.0.3832-r0_amd64.deb
skypeforlinux-64.deb
vivaldi-stable_1.12.955.38-1_amd64.deb
vlc_2.2.6-1~deb9u1_amd64.deb

Below are in their own folders after I extracted the download files:
LibreOffice_5.3.6.1_Linux_x86-64_deb
LibreOffice_5.3.6.1_Linux_x86-64_deb_langpack_en-GB
sophos-antivirus-linux-free-9

I chose Debian because I want a workhorse that is robust and stable, I don’t need any cutting-edge codes. I want to go down the Linux path. I’m in finance and use Windows at work but I never want to have Windows at home or having anything that feels like Windows.

It shouldn’t be that complicated. Can someone help please? Thanks.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can’t install anything via dpkg, Synaptic, or Software a

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

cronoik

#3 Post by cronoik »

New-to-Linux wrote:When I log-in as admin and used Terminal with command: dpkg –i vivaldi-stable_1.12.955.38-1_amd64.deb
The system said: dpkg: error: requested operation requires superuser privilege
How do you login as admin? With su? The error message says that you are currently not root or someone with enough privileges.
Have a nice day!

New-to-Linux

#4 Post by New-to-Linux »

Hi cronoik. I created a dummy account as the administrator, as I don't want to log-in as root and mess up something. Thanks.

kopper

#5 Post by kopper »

Error very much seems like you're trying to install something without using sudo or root, even though you log in as "admin". I suggest you read about using sudo. It doesn't sound like your admin account is what you think it is.

On a side note, if you want to do it Linux way, or Debian way to be specific, you should avoid installing anything from external sources. You can find e.g. LibreOffice in apt package manager without downloading anything from external sources. Proprietary AV products like Sophos you're trying to install are not included, but you could use open-source equivalent like clamav for scanning files. Another good read is Don'tBreakDebian. If you need external software (and it's totally fine to do so), reading that can save you from a lot of trouble.

Dilberts_left_nut also posted a link which is crucial. You shouldn't avoid reading it just because it's long. Actually, you shouldn't avoid it at all. It isn't "that complicated", you just need to understand what kind of tools you're using.
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

New-to-Linux wrote:I created a dummy account as the administrator
I have no idea what you mean by this, there is no "administrator" in a Debian system, that's for Windows.

Why don't you use Ubuntu for a bit, Debian isn't really aimed at n00bs and unless you are prepared to actually _read_ the link provided by dilberts_left_nut then it is probably not at all suited to you.
deadbang

New-to-Linux

#7 Post by New-to-Linux »

Thanks all. I managed to get Skype and Google Earth Pro running yesterday. Apart from different keyboard commands that I need to adjust to, everything is fine.

kopper has pointed out the key information. Unlike Mac OS X and Windows, admin is not sudo or su.

Then I accidentally found that there are huge software portfolio in the Software app, all of them are approved by Debian, most of them are not yet installed. It ought to be something that can replace the software that I have been using. After reading your replies, I know Debian is to a different standard; downloading something just like the rest of the world does, and stuff up the OS is not tolerated in Debian, that is why your reactions are so strong.

It wasn't much of a learning curve and it worth the efforts, I really like Debian, it is very responsive (unlike Windows). I am still wondering why the majority are willing to put up with Windows when having Debian is that easy. Thanks everyone. :D