Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to install software not already included in 9.2.1

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
drk52

How to install software not already included in 9.2.1

#1 Post by drk52 »

Hi,
I have just installed Debian 9.2.1. It's pretty cool!! But,...

I also want to install Free Pascal. The version included already in 9.2.1 is 3.0.0. The stable 3.0.2 version of Free Pascal has already been released.
I would like to install the latest (maintenance) version 3.0.2. So,... If I download this latest 3.0.2 release to debian, where do I put it?
What I'd like to do is just download it to a "download folder", then do the install right from this folder.
The synaptic Package manager in 9.2.1 is really nice. But, like I said it points to a 3.0.0 version of Free Pascal.
If I can download it somewhere so the Synaptic Package Manager recognizes it--That'd be great !!

I was going to try to use the following "Script" to allow software upgrades to be made from a local folder:
#! /bin/bash
cd /home/drk52/apt-install
dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null | gzip -9c > Packages.gz

Will this allow me to do installs from a local folder (instead of a website)?
And can this still be used with the synaptic package manager?
I read somewhere this script had to be in /usr/bin/

I may well be way off, but if anyone knows a good way to do what I am trying to do (install Free Pascal 3.0.2 on debian 9.2.1) and still have it maintained in a reasonable way--like the debian system normally would do. I'd sure appreciate any insights.
David K

drk52

Re: How to install software not already included in 9.2.1

#2 Post by drk52 »

Sorry, I should have added that script needs to be named: update-mydebs and is in ~/bin.
and the software package needs to be in: /home/drk52/apt-install

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

There are two prerequisites:

The packages are already in .deb format.

Those debs must be compatible with your Stretch system.

However, if those debs are packaged correctly, why not just install them directly with the usual tools instead of all this local apt repo workaround?
Last edited by stevepusser on 2017-11-06 23:57, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

drk52 wrote:I would like to install the latest (maintenance) version 3.0.2
Why do you want that particular version?

Have you read https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... f_Syndrome?
deadbang

Thorny

#5 Post by Thorny »

There is a Stretch backport for 3.0.2.
https://packages.debian.org/stretch-backports/fpc

[Edit] I guess you might want this too.
https://backports.debian.org/ for the introduction
https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Thorny wrote:There is a Stretch backport for 3.0.2.
https://packages.debian.org/stretch-backports/fpc

[Edit] I guess you might want this too.
https://backports.debian.org/ for the introduction
https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/
Winner!

drk52

#7 Post by drk52 »

Thanks all of you for your quick and insightful replies !!! Really, I mean you you guys are great !
All very pertinent and helpful info...
Trying to reply personally to each of you...
1st, Steve: must be in .deb format... Good to know.
As to why I want to install from a local disk... hum.. hard to explain.. I think it gives me a certain independence (from the internet) .... Like i'd be sort of
self contained.. and if I needed to reinstall without the internet, I could do so. Sort of a peculiarity of mine probably. Also, if they make a change to the software
it need not affect me. (maybe I'm paranoid?) But that is why.
2nd: head(onastick)-- (name come from Jeff Dunham?) Why that particular version? -- Simply because it is the most current (stable) version. I used to install
software on a mainframe for a living for a dozen or so years.. and that is how we always did it. Whenever you're doing an install, do it with the most current version.
It helps keep the bugs away. Nothing worse than going through a whole install (which can be time consuming) only to discover you have a bug which you need to
address in some way. Inevitably, when you ask the software support they are going to ask (and recommend) that you install the "current" version.

And 3rd: Thorny: And as Steve also acknowledged--You are the Man!! "There is a Stretch backport for 3.0.2." I don't even know what a backport is, but I'm
gonna bet it's probably just what I need. And you offered the back port intros also. Thanks Thorny, guys like you make learning debian for newbies like me much
easier. I will check all into how these backports work.

Thanks,-- All you guys are great!! Long live linux and debian !! (and Debian forums) !!

drk52

#8 Post by drk52 »

Another thought about what was said previously... The idea of installing from a local disk (or cd) is called "A local apt repository"
Refer to : "how-to-create-a-local-apt-repository"

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

That will probably work, but also is a pretty good way to break your system if you just throw any old deb file in it willy-nilly. Don't just add debs from a PPA or Sid and expect them all to work, for example. And if they are compatible debs, they can be safely installed with gdebi or likely are in an online repo anyway.

I've recently managed to get a local directory working for backport package builds using pbuilder...for example, I can backport vc-dev needed for krita backports on a basic Stretch platform, then put the debs in my local folder and have the pbuilder krita builds pick up vc-dev from the folder. I can also add arbitrary online repositories if desired, or revert back to just standard Debian...it takes about 30 seconds to update the pbuilder base Debian tarball with the new configuration for each platform. I can also add debs built on Jessie or Stretch into the same folder and magically they get sorted out.

debiman

#10 Post by debiman »

drk52 wrote: 2nd: head(onastick)-- (name come from Jeff Dunham?) Why that particular version? -- Simply because it is the most current (stable) version. I used to install
software on a mainframe for a living for a dozen or so years.. and that is how we always did it. Whenever you're doing an install, do it with the most current version.
It helps keep the bugs away.
this is windows mentality.
gnu/linux package management works differently.
there's a REASON why it's not in stretch.
it was said before, but i'll say it again: you suffer from shiny new stuff syndrome. please read that. it is the answer to your question.

PS:
i'd also liek to hear HoaS reaction to the j. dunham theory.
personally i'd be disappointed if that were the case.