Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to install Signal Messenger?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Igor the Dank

How to install Signal Messenger?

#1 Post by Igor the Dank »

Forgive me, I'm not very informed about using terminal commands. How exactly do I install Signal Messenger?

This is the command block they list on their site:

Code: Select all

$ curl -s https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt/keys.asc | sudo apt-key add -
$ echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt xenial main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list
$ sudo apt update && sudo apt install signal-desktop
When I run these commands it does not work.

Thank you in advance! :D

pawRoot

Re: How to install Signal Messenger?

#2 Post by pawRoot »

What does it mean that it doesnt work? error?

Igor the Dank

#3 Post by Igor the Dank »

pawRoot wrote:What does it mean that it doesnt work? error?

After running first line in terminal:

gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

---------- edited-----------
Was posted while I was writing,
Postby Igor the Dank » After running first line in terminal:

gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.

curl -s https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt/keys.asc | sudo apt-key add - 
Do you have "sudo" installed ? And enabled ?
When ever a script calls for "sudo", it raises red flags in my mind, sudo is
a Ubuntu thing, I know many Debian users have started using it, but as far
as I know, it still is not a default part of Debian, which means the script is
probably intended for Ubunto, not Debian. That does not mean it can not
be made to work, but it is important that the person wanting to install the
program understand the risks involved:

Please read:
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
One of the primary advantages of Debian is its central repository with thousands of software packages. If you're coming to Debian from another operating system, you might be used to installing software that you find on random websites. On Debian installing software from random websites is a bad habit. It's always better to use software from the official Debian repositories if at all possible. The packages in the Debian repositories are known to work well and install properly. Only using software from the Debian repositories is also much safer than installing from random websites which could bundle malware and other security risks.
Don't make a FrankenDebian

Debian Stable should not be combined with other releases. If you're trying to install software that isn't available in the current Debian Stable release, it's not a good idea to add repositories for other Debian releases. The problems might not happen right away, but the next time you install updates.
Read The Fantastic Manuals

Often reading a tutorial is only enough to get a general idea of how to install or use an application. Almost all of the software packaged for Debian has at least some documentation available. Some places to look: --- read the entire document---
Some of the things listed here can be done safely, but only if you have enough experience to know how to fix your system when things go wrong.
Post by Igor the Dank » 2017-11-08 14:49
Forgive me, I'm not very informed about using terminal commands.
After you read and study some documentation, and learn how to use
the terminal and some basic commands, you will understand enough to be able to install a non Debian package, and maybe be able to fix your system when things go wrong, and they often do when the installed program is not from the Debian repositories.
The script you show, would require having "sudo" installed and configured
properly, other wise it won't work. It could be run as root, but I don't think
that would be a good idea for some one that does not know how to use terminal commands. You can read documentation about using the terminal, and become more informed, is there some reason you don't do that ?
When I run these commands it does not work.
What errors does it show, ? What do they say ? Maybe you just are not connected to the internet when you run it ? With out any details as to what the
error messages are, it is any bodies guess why it does not work.
Fortunately for you, since it would have modified your:

/etc/apt/sources.list
Are you really sure you want to add that to your sources.list.d ?

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt xenial main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list

Do you know what "signal-xenial.list" has in it ?
===== edited again=====
I am NOT saying this program can not be installed, or shouldn't be installed,
the point is, the OP should fully understand the risks, and possible consequences, personally I would not want to tell some one, in a simple step by step, how to force it to install, and then later when they start having problems, they blame me, because I told them exactly how, but did not warn them it might cause some problems later on. Hope that makes sense.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-11-08 22:12, edited 4 times in total.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

They assume you have sudo enabled, because they assume every freaking Debian-based distro is Ubuntu.
MX Linux packager and developer

n_hologram

#6 Post by n_hologram »

stevepusser wrote:...assume...Ubuntu.
Speaking of Ubuntu, did anyone else notice the actual apt line?
$ echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt xenial main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus

I'll spare an invocation of dasein, although I also see the downloads page lists this as "Debian-based Linux," rather than straight-up Ubuntu. I wonder if this program can be built from source...
In positive news, I love OP's username.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Thanks, yes , that was my point, all though I did not actually look at the
link , or where it linked to,
But :
myself: Are you really sure you want to add that to your sources.list.d ?

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt xenial main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list
The wiki is pretty clear about not using Ubunto for Debian.
Repositories that can create a FrankenDebian if used with Debian Stable:

Debian testing release (currently buster)

Debian unstable release (also known as sid)

Ubuntu, Mint or other derivative repositories are not compatible with Debian!
Ubuntu PPAs
=============================
I didn't realize this:
From: https://joindiaspora.com/posts/4bd1ffc0 ... 42ac110007
Installing Signal Private Messenger Desktop on Debian, without Chrome

SIgnal Messenger Desktop is available as a Chrome app, but if you don’t want to use Chrome you can install Signal without it.
Pay attention to the comments in that thread:
Signal has a number of potential weaknesses and is not open-source. I’d avoid it.
That sums it up, but heck, it's your system, you can do what you want,

I still don't think this is a good idea, and even more so since the OP does not
understand how to do anything using the CLI,
Post by Igor the Dank » 2017-11-08 14:49
Forgive me, I'm not very informed about using terminal commands.
First things first, learn to crawl, before trying to walk, etc,.... Get more experience, and learn more about using terminal commands, so you understand how these scripts, etc. will effect your system. You got lucky , in
that you were not able to make the first script work, it would have installed packages intended for Ubunto, and added ubuntu repos to your sources.list.d.
In a nut shell it would have wrecked your Debian system.

n_hologram

#8 Post by n_hologram »

It just seems like inadequate documentation (if you can even call it documentation) on Signal's part. I can see how that might mislead a n00b. However, to the op, do heed Garry's warning:
First things first, learn to crawl, before trying to walk, etc,.... Get more experience, and learn more about using terminal commands, so you understand how these scripts, etc. will effect your system.
If you are serious about testing your boundaries without breaking your primary system, you might want to invest in a virtual machine of your desired system, and break things in there first.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...