Xfce4 logout auto killing my apps?!?!

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Xfce4 logout auto killing my apps?!?!

Postby nadielaya7 » 2017-11-08 18:51

Why do the running apps get killed when I logout from xfce4, and more importantly, how do I prevent this from happening?

If I have a running firefox, for example, and I logout, when i log back in the previous firefox will have been closed and a new firefox will open on a blank page (or whatever my firefox restart settings are).

However the real issue is with wine. If I'm running a wine app. everytime I logout and relog back in the wine app is killed and its no longer there.

Any knowledge on how to fix this?
nadielaya7
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 2016-10-15 20:43

Re: Xfce4 logout auto killing my apps?!?!

Postby stevepusser » 2017-11-08 21:38

What do you have in your xfce settings for session and startup?
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Krita 3.3.2.1, Pale Moon 27.6.0, Audacity 2.2.0, mpv 0.27.0, Corebird 1.7.1, Firefox 57.0, SMPlayer 17.11.2
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 8938
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: Xfce4 logout auto killing my apps?!?!

Postby nadielaya7 » 2017-11-09 16:08

stevepusser wrote:What do you have in your xfce settings for session and startup?

In General Tab, the only thing checked is the Prompt on Logout. Everything else is not checked. Nothing is checked in the Advanced Tab.
Splash is None.

Some random apps in the other 2 tabs, do you need the exact apps checked there? I tried to upload a screen but it sais "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." and filedropper just made me open another thread.
nadielaya7
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 2016-10-15 20:43

Re: Xfce4 logout auto killing my apps?!?!

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-11-09 17:11

by nadielaya7 »I tried to upload a screen but it sais "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.


Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxes
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 4464
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: Xfce4 logout auto killing my apps?!?!

Postby debiman » 2017-11-09 18:14

nadielaya7 wrote:Why do the running apps get killed when I logout from xfce4, and more importantly, how do I prevent this from happening?

If I have a running firefox, for example, and I logout, when i log back in the previous firefox will have been closed and a new firefox will open on a blank page (or whatever my firefox restart settings are).

However the real issue is with wine. If I'm running a wine app. everytime I logout and relog back in the wine app is killed and its no longer there.

Any knowledge on how to fix this?


honestly, don't log out.
i wouldn't know another way to fix it.
lock session & hibernate instead.

xfce offers to "save session on exit" but afaiu that is not what you want.
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 1626
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Re: Xfce4 logout auto killing my apps?!?!

Postby nadielaya7 » 2017-11-10 19:10

debiman wrote:
nadielaya7 wrote:Why do the running apps get killed when I logout from xfce4, and more importantly, how do I prevent this from happening?

If I have a running firefox, for example, and I logout, when i log back in the previous firefox will have been closed and a new firefox will open on a blank page (or whatever my firefox restart settings are).

However the real issue is with wine. If I'm running a wine app. everytime I logout and relog back in the wine app is killed and its no longer there.

Any knowledge on how to fix this?


honestly, don't log out.
i wouldn't know another way to fix it.
lock session & hibernate instead.

xfce offers to "save session on exit" but afaiu that is not what you want.


Perfect. Locking out instead with xflock works perfectly and does not kill my apps. Thanks a lot, issue is now solved!!
nadielaya7
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 2016-10-15 20:43

Re: Xfce4 logout auto killing my apps?!?!

Postby gradinaruvasile » 2017-11-11 05:41

nadielaya7 wrote:Why do the running apps get killed when I logout from xfce4, and more importantly, how do I prevent this from happening?

If I have a running firefox, for example, and I logout, when i log back in the previous firefox will have been closed and a new firefox will open on a blank page (or whatever my firefox restart settings are).

However the real issue is with wine. If I'm running a wine app. everytime I logout and relog back in the wine app is killed and its no longer there.

Any knowledge on how to fix this?


I don't know why is this surprising. Every desktop OS does this.
Specifically in Linux the X server is restarted (stopped and started). Every process that was running under it (launched from the X session) in the process tree is killed. This is the expected behavior.
Just lock the screen if you don't want others to tamper with your session.
User avatar
gradinaruvasile
 
Posts: 935
Joined: 2010-01-31 22:03
Location: Cluj, Romania

Re: Xfce4 logout auto killing my apps?!?!

Postby Bulkley » 2017-11-11 06:13

Every desktop OS does this.


My open box lets me exit X without logging out. My other machine using Xfce4 behaves as has been described above.
Bulkley
 
Posts: 5367
Joined: 2006-02-11 18:35

Re: Xfce4 logout auto killing my apps?!?!

Postby gradinaruvasile » 2017-11-11 07:03

Bulkley wrote:
Every desktop OS does this.


My open box lets me exit X without logging out. My other machine using Xfce4 behaves as has been described above.

Are you sure X is actually stopped?
User avatar
gradinaruvasile
 
Posts: 935
Joined: 2010-01-31 22:03
Location: Cluj, Romania


Return to Desktop & Multimedia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

fashionable