Network-Manager "device not ready" rtl8821ae

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Network-Manager "device not ready" rtl8821ae

Postby kenny_w » 2017-11-10 15:12

Hey everyone. I have been using Debian Linux on my laptop for quite some time now, I recently got a new WiFi PCI-E card, the RTL8821AE, but I've unfortunately been having some very weird problems with it.
I don't have problems with WICD, don't have problems with the built-in bluetooth on the RTL8821AE, but whenever I disconnect from the wireless network I am first connected to, the device goes into "device not ready"
and then I have to do sudo service network-manager restart... I don't encounter this issue on Fedora, or even on other Debian derivatives.. What gives?
I think the problem only occurs when I am using a static IP although I could be wrong - I'm going to do some more tests on it later to confirm this theory, after I get back from getting groceries.

I've tried MX-Linux & Fedora & both of those seem to work fine, but neither of those run like Debian does! Debian is very smooth & stable, Fedora is sorta buggy & MX-17 is still in beta.

WICD isn't really all too appealing either, network-manager is nice & very simple. Too bad WICD couldn't just add the connections to a drop-down menu like network-manager... I suppose there isn't any 3rd party WICD front-end that would make it look like network-manager eh?

Also, does anyone know how I would strip the rtl8821ae driver from the kernel? Because I don't have to install anything to make the WiFi card work, the rtl8821ae driver seems to be built-in....
How would I use a different rtl8821ae driver when they're both named rtl8821ae? like for example the github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new driver is also RTL8821AE, is there a way I can change what its named so I can utilize that driver instead of the built-in one?

Thanks for taking the time to read/answer my thread, its much appreciated!!
kenny_w

Re: Network-Manager "device not ready" rtl8821ae

Postby Bulkley » 2017-11-10 16:02

I recently got a new WiFi PCI-E card

Why? Was there a pre-existing problem?

Did you load the appropriate non-free software for your RTL8821AE?

Network Manager is a beautiful tool when it works properly and a huge pain in the neck when it doesn't. Wicd is easier to use but some people seem to have trouble with it. I no longer use either of them. On my desktop I just use a script in /etc/network/interfaces. On my laptop I use wpagui (wpa_gui) for roaming. It is simple but I have never had any problems with it. Take a look here.
Bulkley

Postby kenny_w » 2017-11-11 14:26

I got a new PCI-E WiFi card because the one I originally had was old & didn't have built-in Bluetooth, the old one topped out at 54MBPS, the new one is supposed to go up to 433MBPS.
I'll check out wpa_gui, I've never heard of that one. I think the problem only really occurs when I try to use a static IP, I'm gonna run some tests on it to see what's causing this issue.. I've never had any problems with network-manager on any of my computers before.

When I hit disconnect or try to connect to a different network than the one I'm connected to on boot, it goes "device not ready" & I have to do sudo service network-manager restart to make it start working again.

Edit: Ok, so I've changed the settings to disable static (assigned) IP & rebooted but its still doing this.. I don't get it, why is this happening?
kenny_w

Postby kenny_w » 2017-11-12 14:57

I followed the instructions on that weblink but I still don't see any WPA_GUI thing anywhere... -.-
and my wifi is hard+soft blocked every time I boot up for some odd reason, how can I fix this??? I've hit the hardware switch but every time I boot up its this same way...
kenny_w

Return to General Questions