Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

RAMRush alternative?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
phoenix_art

RAMRush alternative?

#1 Post by phoenix_art »

Hi!

I'd like to know if there is a RAMRush alternative - this is a small software on windows which automatically manage the computer free RAM. I can setup it, but defafult it always clean the memory if it reaches about 20% free of the total RAM.

How to do it on Debian?

Best regards,

Gabor

debiman

Re: RAMRush alternative?

#2 Post by debiman »

linux has memory management built in - there's no need to change anything.

(and even for windows, this magic app sounds a lot like snake oil to me - at best)

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#3 Post by steve_v »

Why on earth would you want such a thing? No properly engineered operating system should ever benefit from this software.
I say "snake oil" too. Unless Windows memory management is really that bad...

Free memory is wasted memory, anything not used by applications should be going to disk cache. If memory is needed for applications, caches will be dropped or old data swapped to disk. No snakeoil required.
If you really want to "free" some memory: echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches. Note that this will only hurt system performance.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

phoenix_art

#4 Post by phoenix_art »

debiman wrote:linux has memory management built in - there's no need to change anything.

(and even for windows, this magic app sounds a lot like snake oil to me - at best)

No, sometimes I use windows in dualboot too, and after opening a lots of programs which I need they could often eat the most of part of RAM without using RAMRush. Before I using RAMRush on the same machine with the same programs there were a lots of system lag and freeze.

So, did you wrote me on Linux this is not possible to be a problem?

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by None1975 »

phoenix_art wrote:I'd like to know if there is a RAMRush alternative - this is a small software on windows which automatically manage the computer free RAM. I can setup it, but defafult it always clean the memory if it reaches about 20% free of the total RAM.How to do it on Debian?Gabor
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

phoenix_art

#6 Post by phoenix_art »

Ok. I just thought about something like this with RAM... -> https://www.tecmint.com/clear-ram-memor ... -on-linux/

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

^ ouch.
steve_v wrote:If you really want to "free" some memory: echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches. Note that this will only hurt system performance.
relevant part highlighted.

no, just no.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

Because you experience a problem in Windows is no reason to expect the exact same problem in another OS. (defrag, rampant malware, etc) If you do run out of RAM in Debian, the system will resort to swapping to the hard drive, which can make it seem to freeze or run very slowly until you close some programs that are using the RAM. You can adjust this somewhat by changing the swappiness value.

Some people weigh in on Ram Rush: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... sh.519399/
MX Linux packager and developer

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

A search: keywords>>

Code: Select all

Where to download free ram
reveals this:
https://www.downloadmoreram.com/download.html
And it is free Image

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by sunrat »

Some other programs for Windows which may be just as useful (or more) as Ram Rush -
NaDa - http://ccm.net/download/download-412-nada
Dr.Windows - https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/ ... DrWindows/

Also free and worth every cent!
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#11 Post by steve_v »

:lol: I had forgotten all about that little gem.

@OP: Seriously, leave it alone. The kernel devs are much better at managing memory than some shady freeware app will ever be.

This "RAMRush" thing sounds incredibly bogus:
RAMRush uses an intelligent way to manage the physical memory and lets the RAM work in a better performance.
Really? What's that supposed to mean? Pure gibberish.
Increase the amount of memory available
This is, of course, impossible. Must be magic.
Defragment system physical memory
What? WHY?
Remove memory leaks
ROFL. Yeah, right.

If the source code was available, I'd check it out to prove that this thing does nothing useful... But it isn't, and I'm convinced already.

Believe it or not the only way to have more memory is to, wait for it, install more memory. Shocking I know, but it's true.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

n_hologram

#12 Post by n_hologram »

If you're having issues with the current amount of memory, why not download more ram?
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

phoenix_art

#13 Post by phoenix_art »

Ok, thanks for the answers - with the funny parts too... :)

debiman

#14 Post by debiman »

just in case anyone is interested: http://www.fcleaner.com/ramrush.htm

Also thanks for all the other recommendations, I will make sure to use them on my Vista Diesel.

DrWindows says:
Priceless!

The things you can get for free as in beer:
NaDa wrote:In the common language, they use term " nada " to mean "nothing".
Nada is however the name of a program of a byte. What they can make with a byte you wonder? And definitely it is definitely the purpose of this program, it is strictly of use for nothing. The editor recommends to install it on your hard disk and to forget it.
For the most recalcitrant, Nada contains no virus, it is just a program which makes nothing, but that can make laugh you in your instants of stress at job.
Another cool icon in my system tray!