Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Firefox cannot run

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
phoenix_art

Firefox cannot run

#1 Post by phoenix_art »

Dear people!

I've got a problem on a computer: I downloaded firefox linux version from its official website and extract to somewhere. After it I could run firefox until I moved this firefox folder to another location on the same machine.

Now when I try to run firefox it sends me I need to select another applicaton to run with... What is the problem? I tried a lots of things - for example: chmod +x firefox etc. - but nothing worked.

Please help!

Regards,

Gabor

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Firefox cannot run

#2 Post by arochester »

Why did you not download it from Repository?

Code: Select all

https://wiki.debian.org/Firefox

phoenix_art

#3 Post by phoenix_art »

I have already installed it from there default on my Debian Jessie, but this version ESR is older than the newest version of Firefox. Or the newest ESR version is the same as the newest Firefox version from the website?

Is it possible to get the same version from Repository too?
arochester wrote:Why did you not download it from Repository?

Code: Select all

https://wiki.debian.org/Firefox

Lysander

#4 Post by Lysander »

phoenix_art wrote:the newest ESR version is the same as the newest Firefox version from the website?
ESR is 52, the newest FF standard is 56.
phoenix_art wrote:I have already installed it from there default on my Debian Jessie, but this version ESR is older than the newest version of Firefox.
That's because it's the Extended Support Release. More reliable and stable. Is there a specific reason why you need a newer version apart from the fact that it's newer? If not, uninstall and go with ESR. It should be perfectly suitable for your needs.

phoenix_art

#5 Post by phoenix_art »

"Is there a specific reason why you need a newer version apart from the fact that it's newer?" -> Maybe its security? I don't know it is true, but I think newer is more secured. Please correct me, if needed.
Lysander wrote:
phoenix_art wrote:the newest ESR version is the same as the newest Firefox version from the website?
ESR is 52, the newest FF standard is 56.
phoenix_art wrote:I have already installed it from there default on my Debian Jessie, but this version ESR is older than the newest version of Firefox.
That's because it's the Extended Support Release. More reliable and stable. Is there a specific reason why you need a newer version apart from the fact that it's newer? If not, uninstall and go with ESR. It should be perfectly suitable for your needs.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

The 57.0 Quantum release is out now...lots of advances, as well as breaking the older extensions, too.
I've got a problem on a computer: I downloaded firefox linux version from its official website and extract to somewhere. After it I could run firefox until I moved this firefox folder to another location on the same machine.
Since it gets updated so often, why not just download the latest release and put it in a folder? But I suspect that the move to another folder is what broke your launch--but since you leave out the critical info about how you are trying to launch it, who knows? If you created a launcher that looks for it in the old location, of course that will break it---and an obvious test would be to move/copy it back to the former location to see if that makes it work.
MX Linux packager and developer

phoenix_art

#7 Post by phoenix_art »

Thanks for the answers!

What do you think, is it safe to use for everyday usage the Firefox ESR? Online banking and other the same, too??

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

phoenix_art wrote:What do you think, is it safe to use for everyday usage the Firefox ESR? Online banking and other the same, too??
Reasonably. As always with Internet security, one has to be careful. As long as you are doing business with legitimate companies with secure transaction sites you should be okay. Stay away from sleazy sites that are trolling for suckers. Use a couple of extensions such as HTTPS Everywhere and uBlock Origin. Make sure your router has security set high.

phoenix_art

#9 Post by phoenix_art »

I know and use uBlock Origin on all my computers, but I didn't know HTTPS Everywhere yet. Thanks for this tip too!
Bulkley wrote:
phoenix_art wrote:What do you think, is it safe to use for everyday usage the Firefox ESR? Online banking and other the same, too??
Reasonably. As always with Internet security, one has to be careful. As long as you are doing business with legitimate companies with secure transaction sites you should be okay. Stay away from sleazy sites that are trolling for suckers. Use a couple of extensions such as HTTPS Everywhere and uBlock Origin. Make sure your router has security set high.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

ESR means it continues to get security fixes, so it's as safe as the 57 series. When Mozilla jumps up to another version for ESR, we will have to see how Debian handles the situation, since 57+ can't be built with the Rust compiler currently in Stretch.

I'm using 57 right now, and there's now no way to quickly monitor the progress of downloads without some mouse clicks. There's no indication on the toolbar any longer. Has anyone found a workaround for this? Download Status Bar is incompatible, but I did install Download Sound so I least get a sound notification when they finish.

Edit: actually, I can see a very tiny progress bar working under the arrow on the toolbar. Not much use on a hdpi laptop...
MX Linux packager and developer

michapma

#11 Post by michapma »

Hi Steve, there is this site:

https://mozilla.github.io/extension-finder/

It doesn't give any suggestions for a Download Status Bar replacement. My plan is to just use the toolbar download button until DSB gets updated (unlikely, since it changes the UI) or a useful replacement appears.