Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Temporary Deleting Partition?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Re: Temporary Deleting Partition?

#21 Post by bester69 »

andre@home wrote:Taking a temporally (cheap) disk would have been a lot more comfortable.
The limits of only 4 partitions is a very known issue, and if you wanna go beyond that limit you need partition manager that can handle that.
Even if you do know that on before that, I would advise not to use that route, as any change of partions is a risk of loosing data.
So whatever you you ... you will need that extra disk anyhow. So the workaround seems a more theoretical and not a very practical route to be advised. I hope you saved all your data from your disk that you wanna change on at least 1 preferably 2 backups disks. Else you're playing with fire... "
and we might have expected a new question from you...: "Help I lost my data while I tried to delete and later recover a partition....
You were lucky..... all went ok...
Thanks, but I can manage my own risks, i usually like to take them, other way you wont never advantge in kowledges.. I have all that i need in several redundant backups in clouds.
The workaround proposed by P.H. works as a charm and its trustworthy and very easy to apply. It cant failt never, its only a writting the table partition, so unless you overlap data, you cant get yourself in a mess. I proposed to let unless 1Gb of gap to not overlapping data accidentally, this is whole risk.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

pylkko

#22 Post by pylkko »

Another, not-so-directly-related-to-the-issue question is: why are you not using GPT?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#23 Post by p.H »

pylkko wrote:why are you not using GPT?
The current partition table gives the answer to that question : because Windows is installed in BIOS/legacy mode on this drive, which requires MSDOS partitioning.
Using GPT would require to reinstall Windows in EFI mode, assuming the machine is UEFI-capable.

A workaround is to create a "hybrid MBR" combining both an old-style MSDOS partition table for Windows and a new-style GPT partition table for GNU/Linux. I have tested it and it works, but it is an ugly and unreliable hack.

pylkko

#24 Post by pylkko »

Okay, I see. I was wondering because I have installed Debian on almost exactly that hardware/BIOS (Acer Extensa) version using GPT without issue. I suppose reinstalling Windows is not the simplest thing either.

andre@home

#25 Post by andre@home »

Starting from ~3TB you must use a GPT table, below that you have a choice.

andre@home

#26 Post by andre@home »

bester69 wrote:Thanks, but I can manage my own risks, i usually like to take them, other way you wont never advantge in kowledges.. I have all that i need in several redundant backups in clouds..
OK !
It cant failt never, its only a writting the table partition, so unless you overlap data, you cant get yourself in a mess. I proposed to let unless 1Gb of gap to not overlapping data accidentally, this is whole risk.
Never say never... :mrgreen:
And
"It cant failt never"
is a so called "double ignorance"... I believe (I'm not native English).... so it actually means:
it can fail.... :lol:

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#27 Post by p.H »

andre@home wrote:Starting from ~3TB you must use a GPT table
Above 2 TiB (~2.2 TB). Not quite near 3 TB.
Also note that a partition table is not mandatory.
andre@home wrote:below that you have a choice.
Not always.
If you have Windows and BIOS, you must use MSDOS.
If you have Windows and UEFI, you must use GPT.