Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Buster: no sound output on headphones

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
noober1983

Debian Buster: no sound output on headphones

#1 Post by noober1983 »

Hi all.

I use testing with some Sid repositories enabled; I currently have kernels 4.12 and 4.13 installed. Booting onto any of them will produce no sound through headphones when they're plugged in. There's sound through speakers though.
I'v'e seen these two posts: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=128388 and https://superuser.com/questions/800189/ ... phone-jack, but they don't seem to apply in my case; also, there is no alsa-base.conf file on /etc/modprobe.d/ (I remember I had to edit that file when I had a similar issue with another distro or another Debian version). This started happening recently, after the last but one or two upgrades; it worked quited well with kernel 4.11 and until very recently with 4.12; I had never tried it under 4.13 until today.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5567; this is the output of inxi -A:
Audio: Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA v: k4.12.0-2-amd64

Any ideas? Thanks!
Quid non intellegas aut tace aut disce.

highContrast

Re: Debian Buster: no sound output on headphones

#2 Post by highContrast »

I don't know whether it is related, on my PC I have an issue with the default setting, I have to manually change the setting to headphones, if I unplug them and I plug the jack again it will switch to the speakers and I'll have to change it again via the settings. Every time I reboot it switches to the speakers again.

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

I use testing with some Sid repositories enabled
Testing and Unstable, a recipe for problems. They break. DontBreakDebian

Is this a switching problem? If you boot with the headphones plugged in do they work?

Are you able to make choices with Pulse Audio Volume Control?

noober1983

#4 Post by noober1983 »

Hi all.
highContrast wrote:I don't know whether it is related, on my PC I have an issue with the default setting, I have to manually change the setting to headphones, if I unplug them and I plug the jack again it will switch to the speakers and I'll have to change it again via the settings. Every time I reboot it switches to the speakers again.
Which settings are those? ALSA, Pavucontrol...? Thanks.
Bulkley wrote:
I use testing with some Sid repositories enabled
Testing and Unstable, a recipe for problems. They break. DontBreakDebian
Okay, I read that link you posted and I disabled the sid repositories; I had enabled them because I needed the newest version of CRAN (r-base). Perhaps a bad choice.
Bulkley wrote: Is this a switching problem? If you boot with the headphones plugged in do they work?
What do you mean by "switching problem"? I booted with the headphones plugged in and first they didn't mute the speakers; I unplugged them and plugged them in again and they muted the speakers but still had no sound output.
Bulkley wrote: Are you able to make choices with Pulse Audio Volume Control?
Yes I am, but no matter what output device I choose (and there are quite a lot in the menu at the Configuration tab in pavucontrol) I have no output from the headphones.
Thanks!!
Quid non intellegas aut tace aut disce.