Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

AMD Radeon Rx 580 drivers

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
dagecko

AMD Radeon Rx 580 drivers

#1 Post by dagecko »

Hi,

Since it has been a while I haven't used an ATI/AMD graphic card on Linux/Debian, I'm asking for advices here.
Specifically, I want to know what driver should be installed when using an AMD Radeon RX 580 on Debian (it will be stretch).
Some people advice for using the free drivers (the one provided with the kernel, xorg and Mesa), but AMD is also providing proprietary drivers on their site (even if they only aim at ubuntu and not debian).

Both options are certainly working well. But I'm looking for the best support (hence I suppose that the proprietary drivers should be preferred), for 3D, power management, power resume after a sleep, stability and freesync as far as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Wheelerof4te

Re: AMD Radeon Rx 580 drivers

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Support for newer AMD cards is limited to "amdgpu" kernel driver which is frozen in Debian Stable. I think RX 580 is not supported well in Stretch, but you can try using Debian Testing if you are not new to GNU/Linux or Debian. If you are new, your better starting point could be Ubuntu (17.10).

dagecko

#3 Post by dagecko »

Thanks for the answer.

In fact I could find some information about it. What I did is to use the free drivers provided by Mesa and the firmware.
I had some bugs, so I still dried the official AMD drivers. But unfortunately it failed to install, even with modifying their installation scripts (it seems I had to install 32 bit dependencies, but I actually want to keep a 64 bit only installation on this machine, at least for now). On the various sites I visited it seems that free drivers can even overpass the proprietary ones...

What I'm unaware of for now is that if the free drivers support (and enable) freesync.

Also, I had to install Debian Buster, all the attempts I made with Stretch failed (certainly because of the firmware, glx drivers not being new enough).

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Also, I had to install Debian Buster, all the attempts I made with Stretch failed (certainly because of the firmware, glx drivers not being new enough).
AMD does not support those drivers anymore. The only option now are the free drivers, plus AMDPRO non-free driver. Even that driver requires amdgpu kernel driver.

dagecko

#5 Post by dagecko »

Wheelerof4te wrote:
Wheelerof4te wrote:Also, I had to install Debian Buster, all the attempts I made with Stretch failed (certainly because of the firmware, glx drivers not being new enough).
AMD does not support those drivers anymore. The only option now are the free drivers, plus AMDPRO non-free driver. Even that driver requires amdgpu kernel driver.
True. Unfortunately, and after all these years (near 15 now), AMD still sucks a lot with their drivers on Linux: you never know what to install, not install, which version, for which card, for which linux kernel, which linux distribution.

Thanks.