Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Read Errors after reboot installation

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
rolf819

Read Errors after reboot installation

#1 Post by rolf819 »

Please excuse my fumblings I am very new to the Debian/Linux arena. Having created a USB installation drive for my old PC so that I could review the Linux world. I booted this OK, the system has 3 HDD two are sata and have XP boot OK all works fine, the third is a 20gb IDE. Booted USB created installation on third drive, /dev/sdc1, all went well as it seems no errors all network etc worked fine. Rebooted reset BIOS to boot off third drive, SDC1, appears to do something then comes up with ONLY black screen and Read Error, nothing else. OK booted to resue rewrote GRUB to this drive, /dev/sdc, still same problem. Went into shell from rescue can see everything but still wont boot successfully.

Any help would be appreciated, am I missing something really obvious.

Regards
Rolf

bw123

Re: Read Errors after reboot installation

#2 Post by bw123 »

I have seen errors like that before, and no it's not obvious. You're doing okay, you probably solved this already. Anyway I suspect the problem comes from the usb drive. It's been awhile, but to the best I recall, plugging in the usb, but setting sdc first in the boot order, then booting to sdc, unplugging the usb, install-grub and update-grub to sdc, and then rebooting *might* fix it.

But make sure sdc is the right drive, I usually just run mount and see where / is mounted and use that drive for grub. You should check this every time you mess with grub because sd* names can change around every boot.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

maximus1978

#3 Post by maximus1978 »

Not sure I understand your setup?

Is Grub2 installed?

Can you post the output of "ls"?

I am trying to understand what your are trying to accomplish?
Last edited by maximus1978 on 2017-11-22 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

rolf819

#4 Post by rolf819 »

Thank you all so much for your prompt reply, I do hope I have not confused you to much, I will try and explain a little more. I have an old PC with 3 x HDD, 2 are SATA and 1 x IDE. Windows XP runs perfectly on the 2 SATA drives, I want to load DEBIAN 9 onto the IDE drive and be able to boot this as and when I require, without impacting the already stable. Windows system and drives.
What I have done. - created a USB installation media booted installed DEBIAN 9 onto the IDE drive and 'hopefully' selected for this to be also the boot drive. All undertaken without error no problems at all. Rebooted, removed USB media set BIOS to boot from IDE drive, system looks as if it is attempting to boot but then black screen with only message 'Read Error'. nothing else no error numbers or other syntax.
Booted USB media again to rescue mode, rewrote GRUB, 'supposedly', and again rebooted same effect. Again rebooted to rescue and entered to shell of hard drive system created on, was able to see all directories, entries boot files, grub directory etc. no problems. Being a little braver, I dumped the MBR and looked at the assembly from advice from other sources and it appear that this read error is basic and reported from the MBR load, prior I think to GRUB starting up, I am looking at other aspects of this as we speak on a copy of the MBR by the way. One thing I have noticed and I am sure you can clarify, some of the files in the grub directory do not correlate with that which 'older' GRUB would seem to need to boot, is this the reason for the 'Read Error' I was wondering. Your help on this is really appreciated and anything you would ask me to undertake I will endeavour to preform with my limited experience in this arena

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

created installation on third drive,
<snip>
Rebooted reset BIOS to boot off third drive
see, this is probably the issue, you installed grub with a set of drives in a certain order, then changed that order in the machine's bios.

Sometimes a system in this state will boot to the new installation drive if the usb from installation is plugged in. Then grub can be reinstalled to a correct state for the new alignment.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

maximus1978

#6 Post by maximus1978 »

Are you able to boot up to Grub still?

I would suggest booting into the hard drive with Grub and the configuring menu entries to boot it to the other hard drives.
Put the BIOS settings to boot from the IDE drive (assuming that Grub2 is installed on this drive).

If you get this far, type "c" to go to Grub2 command prompt.

Then type "ls"

Please post the information that "ls" returns.
Last edited by maximus1978 on 2017-11-22 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

rolf819

#7 Post by rolf819 »

thanks for all the replies it really is helpful, please excuse my delay in coming back, I did as suggested regarding the boot process and the usb etc. exactly the same result. No maximus I do not get to the grub or any other prompt, just this read error which is very early on, I can get the full directories by utilising the resue disc and going into the shell on said drive if that helps but I am not convinced of blaming Debian at this stage. I looked at the error again and the boot code, please correct me if I am wrong, it appears this error occurs when the bootstrap initiates a soft interrupt to the bios to read a sector fron the said disc, this is when the failure occurs. Not knowing all the data yet, I decided to build an environment in VirtualBox and see if that would run, well that all worked OK, to be expected considering no bios load involved, well transfered that 'image' to the hard drive and booted that drive, just checking if different error, no exactly the same error. Removed all other devices rebuilt system again on one drive and usb stick install media, rebooted exactly same proble. I am quickly coming to the conclusion that the boot and my bios are somehow incompatible in this instant. If I am wrong please shout, quietly, but the only common factor seems to be this reboot, why does windows work and boot OK its only the Linux products that dont, I have tried Peppermint, Linux Lite and now Debian which all fail in similar ways, all work perfectly with a VM machine as you would expect, it's only the boot process. How can I boot the Linux kernal image without going through the bootloader process, if thats possible. Once again thank you very much for all your help in this instant I will get some updated hardware and try this again and report back. Best regards

maximus1978

#8 Post by maximus1978 »

Can you unplug the sata drives and boot with only IDE drive that has Grub installed on it?

Please take a picture of the error.

Just so I am clear, does Grub debian rescue come up at all?

It's almost sounding like the IDE hard disk has read errors and this is why it won't boot into it.

You can try making a UBCD and booting with it. Run a utility to test the hard drive. I would suggest the Seagate software to test the drive for read errors.

Test the IDE driver and find out if it has failed sectors reads.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
Last edited by maximus1978 on 2017-11-22 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

Was the "full quote" really necessary ?
Please learn to stop "full quoting."

rolf819

#10 Post by rolf819 »

Maximus, thanks for the response I will try and expand on the points you make in as 'concise' a manner as I can although adding a photo attachment to this file is causing a server error so please bear with me and I will try and locate a URL where I can post the image, although all it says is Verifying DMI pool data ... success, then line feed, and Read Error system stops and is hung/looping at this stage which requires a reboot.
Unplugged SATA's and all other devices except IDE and USB install media - Same result, rebuilt just to check same issue
Grub of 'Debian' comes up to prompt etc. - No, no input available, only from rescue mode of USB media, also can get into shell from rescue and interrogate the installation on said drive all OK
Drive hard error - No, tested with UBCD and other utilities with no errors at all
As mentioned have created numerous systems Peppermint etc. in virtual machine and did raw image to hard disc all fail with similar errors. Windows works and boots no problem
I have a copy of the MBR should anyone require it as I am intrigued to just search this a bit further, even though I am obtaining updated hardware just to check. Once again thanks for your sincere interest

maximus1978

#11 Post by maximus1978 »

rolf819 wrote:adding a photo attachment to this file is causing a server error so please bear with me and I will try and locate a URL where I can post the image,
try this

https://imagebin.ca/

maximus1978

#12 Post by maximus1978 »

Do I understand what you are trying to do correctly?

You have an IDE drive that your are installing Debian Linux from a usb stick.

If this is correct? At the end of the install process of Debian Linux, is Grub being installed to the IDE drive? It usually ask if you want to install Grub.

How about you disconnect your SATA drives.
Do an install from the USB stick of linux onto the IDE drive.
Make sure Grub is installed correctly by choosing install grub at the end of the installation.

Leave the BIOS alone to boot into the IDE drive.

If you decide to try this , lets see if Debian Linux boots ok from the IDE drive.
Do not change anything in the BIOS and reconnect your sata drives.

Grub should go ahead and boot into the IDE drive. Boot into Debian Linux and login to root and run "update-grub".

Let me know if you will try this.

rolf819

#13 Post by rolf819 »

Maximus, the photo has been uploaded
https://imagebin.ca/v/3iGuGYMQQYnp
Everything you have said is correct, only that I never get to go past this boot point or have access to Grub, only if I boot the rescue environment from USB I can the rewrite the Grub boot/install to the drive on which I created the the Debian system THE IDA drive. Hope this helps

maximus1978

#14 Post by maximus1978 »

hmmm.

Is the IDE driver jump set to...

CS (Cable Select) , Master or Slave

Can you set it to Master if it not set at that?

Let me know

rolf819

#15 Post by rolf819 »

Maximus, could I firstly thank you for your patience and contribution it really is appreciated and has aided my troubleshooting. The good news is I am making major strides, as noted I used diagnostics and none, I mean none, displayed or reported errors. I eventually induced an error by attempting to create an XP system on the said disc, if only transiently. It reported unable to read partition table of said drive, which fell exactly in line with what I was looking at with the boot process and loading the first block, partition table held at end of first block and read when MBR is loaded etc. So enabled with these facts and the fact the drive had passed diagnostics I started to replace items, to cut to the chase, it turned out the IDE cable was bad, replaced reinstalled and low and behold the Debian system now boots, not fully but gets to Grub I am now looking at the config which I am sure aid a result. So once again thank you very much for all your help it really is appreciated