Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Battery Not Fully Charging

Need help with peripherals or devices?
zerubbabel

Battery Not Fully Charging

#1 Post by zerubbabel »

This is probably not a Debian question, per se, except for the fact that I'm running Debian Testing on my Dell Latitude 6540. But within the past week the battery hasn't gotten past 48% charged no matter how long I'm plugged in. This is a new development. Until a few days ago, it would charge fully and I could work for about 2 hours on a full charge. Now it discharges within an hour of normal use. Is it likely that my battery is just worn out, or could it be a system issue, from a recent update?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Battery Not Fully Charging

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

zerubbabel wrote:s it likely that my battery is just worn out,
Yes.
zerubbabel wrote:or could it be a system issue, from a recent update?
No.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

zerubbabel

#3 Post by zerubbabel »

Ok, thanks.

RU55EL

#4 Post by RU55EL »

You may want to check for "Dell Extended Battery Life" options. I don't know if it is a bios setting or not, but some notebook computers have a setting to keep the battery from charging more than 50%. This helps keep the battery vibrant if you us it a lot with the battery in the computer and have the power cord plugged into the wall for long periods. Lithium batteries degrade faster if kept at full charge at high temperatures, like what it would be subjected to if kept plugged into the wall with the battery installed.

zerubbabel

#5 Post by zerubbabel »

That is good to know about, to get more life out of a replacement battery, but I know that until a few days ago the battery reached full charge every time I plugged it in, so I'm sure there's no option set in the bios to only charge it half way.

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

I've been looking for a way to turn my charger off at 80% and I seem to recall reading that some Dell apps on windows can change this threshold permanently. Have you used any battery or power-related apps lately?

The 'sweet spot' from what I've read is 40%-80% that would be a good range to keep your battery in.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

RU55EL

#7 Post by RU55EL »

zerubbabel wrote:[...] I'm running Debian Testing on my Dell Latitude 6540.[...]
Possibly a Dell E6540?

From the Dell E6540 manual, regarding the bios settings:
Advanced Battery Charge
Configuration Allows you to enable the advance battery charge mode. The option is disabled by
default.

Primary Battery Charge
Configuration Allows you to define how to use the battery charge, when AC is plugged in. The
options are:
Adaptive (Default Setting)
Standard
Express Charge
Primarily AC use
Custom
I don't know what "Primarily AC use" does, but it may be worth checking. Of course, is is very possible the battery may have failed.