Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is notesalexp.org a safe repo?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
jimchristiansen

Is notesalexp.org a safe repo?

#1 Post by jimchristiansen »

Hello. I have always compiled my own FreeCad 0.17 but since upgrading to Stretch have been having troubles. I have found a repo that claims to have a running FreeCad 0.17, notesalexp.org, and did a who-is... They are in Russia. Does anyone know if this is a safe repo to use? Thanks, Jim

stevepusser

Re: Is notesalexp.org a safe repo?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Since you have already been compiling it, why not just rebuild that development release from the sources in the freecad-daily PPA?

http://ppa.launchpad.net/freecad-mainta ... cad-daily/
MX Linux packager and developer

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

I read the report, but any way , since there all ready has been 1 reply,
I wouldn't trust anything from there, and certainly would NOT add it to my sources.list file.
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Read what it says about using random websites/repositories,...

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

from a debian point of view, i'd say mr ricketson has a point.

apart from that, it annoys me no end that "it's from russia" is equivalent for "it's not to be trusted".
this is simply not true (or then, equally true for ALL countries) and most likely the result of being brainwashed by brainless politicians of the US of A.

fwiw, i had a look at the site; they look ok to me, offer some sane-looking debian-specific advice, and the site maintainer has been very active on launchpad since 2010.
definitely not a scam.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#5 Post by steve_v »

debiman wrote:it annoys me no end that "it's from russia" is equivalent for "it's not to be trusted".
Likewise. Dunno why this idea persists, it's extremely stupid.
That repo actually looks quite respectable.

@OP: Installing from there probably won't break your system, but there are a lot of packages in the repo so take note of the advice on the use of apt-pin to limit what gets installed.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

Unread postby debiman » 2017-11-21 23:57
from a debian point of view, i'd say mr ricketson has a point.

apart from that, it annoys me no end that "it's from russia" is equivalent for "it's not to be trusted".
But I am NOT the one that mentioned what country it is from, in fact I also agree
that is not relevant, in fact I thought about mentioning to the OP, personally I think they should have not even mentioned what country it is from, I clearly posted a link to the wiki, don't break Debian,... and said to pay attention to what it says about using random websites and repositories that are not within the Debian.org structure. , there are in fact some mirrors listed at Debian.org that are in Russia
https://www.debian.org/mirror/list
Main:
Russia ftp.ru.debian.org/debian/

Code: Select all

Russia
ftp.ru.debian.org 	
ftp.psn.ru 	
mirror.corbina.net 	
mirror.mephi.ru 	
mirror.satellite-service.ru 	
mirror.truenetwork.ru  
But it seems to be debiman is the one making a big point about Russia, by his/her, statement, ""it's from russia" is equivalent for "it's not to be trusted". Debiman, and the OP seem to think that is a important factor,... but don't include me in your wild accusations and suspicions. I did not say anything
about that being a factor,... I did say , and still do :
GarryRicketson wrote:I read the report, but any way , since there all ready has been 1 reply,
I wouldn't trust anything from there, and certainly would NOT add it to my sources.list file.
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Read what it says about using random websites/repositories,...
The site is NOT listed in any of the repos at Debian.org, and that is why I would not use it.

===================================
https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/notesalexp.org
There are no bad reports, nor good reports.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#7 Post by None1975 »

stevepusser wrote:Since you have already been compiling it, why not just rebuild that development release from the sources in the freecad-daily PPA?

Maybe, because for this?
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

jimchristiansen

#8 Post by jimchristiansen »

Thanks everyone. I very rarely install from ppas. In this case for FreeCad though, with the massive changes from 16 to 0.17 and my design practices, (I usually use Creo Parametrics in a VM) I'm motivated to "do-it-at-any-and-all-cost" mentality. I appreciate the FreeCad development and enjoy using it recreationally for the odd CNC plasma job just to say "Hey- all in open source"... :-)

I've been rooted once through a fault of my own, years ago, and paid dearly for it. With the world the way it is now, as ever in the computing industry, I'm always cognisant of losing confidence of my systems.

It wasn't so much the "Russia" thing but "does anyone know if this is legitimate, or has anyone had any package conflicts with this ppa?" Perhaps I should have left Russia out of my question.

jimchristiansen

#9 Post by jimchristiansen »

stevepusser wrote:Since you have already been compiling it, why not just rebuild that development release from the sources in the freecad-daily PPA?

http://ppa.launchpad.net/freecad-mainta ... cad-daily/
Thank you, Steve. I haven't rebuilt from daily ppa sources before. Can I use the ubuntu 17 daily source debs for Stretch? I'll give it a go.