Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 9 stretch networking overhaul

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
kbd

Debian 9 stretch networking overhaul

#1 Post by kbd »

sure all hear are more familiar with the overhaul debian networking has gone thru - ifconfig, and iwlist, where my standby commands. Found IP is replacing ifconfig but IP does not display wlanX its new naming convention names my wlan0 network adapter wlp3s0 - not just hard to remember but IP seems to read the hardware mac differently from network manager just like ifconfig used to do (assuming thats was part of the reason ifconfig was depricated). network manager reads a different hw mac from IP for the same network adapter but names the adapter with the same strange name
network manager
MAC Address: 26:B4:BD:08:F9:XX (wlp3s0)
ip a
3: wlp3s0: <NO_CARRIER,BROADCAST,...............
link/ether c4:a6:e6:fd:5d:XX

Have not Cloned Address nor used macchanger - fresh install

Edit: iwlist was not depricated it is available on stretch 9.2 for sudo user
(second part of this question - what happened to iwlist? was it depricated or discriminated? what is a dependable maintained alternative to iwlist ?)
Last edited by kbd on 2017-11-25 14:17, edited 2 times in total.

bw123

Re: Debian 9 stretch networking overhaul

#2 Post by bw123 »

Some people haven't heard, there's a short explanation about the interface naming and a link to further expansion in the release notes.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... face-names

kinda weird about the two different MACs, does it work?
what happened to iwlist?
I think most of the iw* progs have been rolled into app 'iw' from package iw, it does scanning and a lot more. The older tools are probably still available in package wireless-tools?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

kbd

#3 Post by kbd »

bw123 wrote:Some people haven't heard, there's a short explanation about the interface naming and a link to further expansion in the release notes.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... face-names

kinda weird about the two different MACs, does it work?
what happened to iwlist?
I think most of the iw* progs have been rolled into app 'iw' from package iw, it does scanning and a lot more. The older tools are probably still available in package wireless-tools?
thank you - that explained well the new naming. i also was pointed to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features ... viceNaming
for my notes and those wanting more reading
it will take some getting used to - most linux admins can almost predict wlan0 or wlan4 for a network adapter...

iwlist is available in debian9.2-non-free and works for sudo - im used to being sudo user and its not available to non-sudo users in debian 9.2

Yeah i agree WIERD....network manager reads the mac correctly for new networks and connects but when nmtui creates the connection it reads the mac differently from network manager. ifconfig (and now IP)read the mac differently from network manager but the same as nmtui. use the ifconfig/IP mac address in nmtui or network manager to create a connection and the connection fails. use the default mac from network manager in nmtui and connection works. have just begun with debian stretch so maybe i will discover something on the odessy i can share to clarify the issue.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

kbd wrote:it will take some getting used to - most linux admins can almost predict wlan0 or wlan4 for a network adapter...
You can revert to the old naming system by passing net.ifnames=0 as a kernel command line parameter.
deadbang