Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wayland & nVidia

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
autocrosser

Wayland & nVidia

#1 Post by autocrosser »

Simple & to the point. I have been digging through Google & everywhere else I can find to determine the status for Wayland & nVidia with no luck.
I have an up-to-date Sid Gnome install using the current (375.82) blob. Nowhere during GDM login do I see a Gnome-Wayland option.
Weston works.
Anyone have an idea what:
a. How far along is Wayland to run &
b. What is the status in regards to nVidia

Thank You for any information you might have.
"Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favorite lines from AVATAR
Linux User# 395230

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Wayland & nVidia

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

I can find no selection for wayland either. Perhaps we are using it now and don't know?
We have entered the twilight zone.
http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/c ... _changelog
gnome-session (3.24.1-2) unstable; urgency=medium

* Upload to unstable (Closes: #869947)

-- Jeremy Bicha <jbicha@ubuntu.com> Sun, 06 Aug 2017 17:37:05 -0400

gnome-session (3.24.1-1) experimental; urgency=medium

* New upstream release.
- Drop debian/patches/git_wayland_login_shell.patch, applied upstream
- Bump gnome-settings-daemon dependency to 3.24
- debian/gnome-session.install: Also install gnome-dummy session file
* debian/control.in: Bump Standards-Version to 4.0.0 (no further changes)
* debian/rules: Switch default "gnome" session to wayland
* d/p/0001-manager-add-bus-daemon-dbus-api-xml-file.patch,
d/p/0002-system-add-api-for-detecting-if-this-is-the-last-ses.patch,
d/p/0003-manager-kill-off-bus-clients-at-log-out.patch: kill off bus
clients at log out, backported from upstream 3.25
* d/p/0004-fail-whale-handle-X-server-dying-before-startup.patch: handle X
server dying before startup, cherry-picked from 3.24 branch

-- Laurent Bigonville <bigon@debian.org> Thu, 06 Jul 2017 00:25:20 +0200
https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news ... ME-Wayland

autocrosser

#3 Post by autocrosser »

4D696B65 wrote:I can find no selection for wayland either. Perhaps we are using it now and don't know?
We have entered the twilight zone.
http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/c ... _changelog
gnome-session (3.24.1-2) unstable; urgency=medium

* Upload to unstable (Closes: #869947)

-- Jeremy Bicha <jbicha@ubuntu.com> Sun, 06 Aug 2017 17:37:05 -0400

gnome-session (3.24.1-1) experimental; urgency=medium

* New upstream release.
- Drop debian/patches/git_wayland_login_shell.patch, applied upstream
- Bump gnome-settings-daemon dependency to 3.24
- debian/gnome-session.install: Also install gnome-dummy session file
* debian/control.in: Bump Standards-Version to 4.0.0 (no further changes)
* debian/rules: Switch default "gnome" session to wayland
* d/p/0001-manager-add-bus-daemon-dbus-api-xml-file.patch,
d/p/0002-system-add-api-for-detecting-if-this-is-the-last-ses.patch,
d/p/0003-manager-kill-off-bus-clients-at-log-out.patch: kill off bus
clients at log out, backported from upstream 3.25
* d/p/0004-fail-whale-handle-X-server-dying-before-startup.patch: handle X
server dying before startup, cherry-picked from 3.24 branch

-- Laurent Bigonville <bigon@debian.org> Thu, 06 Jul 2017 00:25:20 +0200
https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news ... ME-Wayland

Hmmmm... I've read that atricle (was one of the reasons I was interested in the first place). I've dug through the relevant files in my system & there is a /usr/share/wayland-sessions including a weston file. I tried to add sessions there & in a couple of other places including the /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf...all to no affect. Do a

Code: Select all

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
& it comes up X11 every time. I just wonder what I'm missing?
"Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favorite lines from AVATAR
Linux User# 395230

autocrosser

#4 Post by autocrosser »

And yes, the version I'm using is also looking that way....
gnome-session (3.25.90-1) unstable; urgency=medium

* New upstream release
* Bump Standards-Version to 4.1.0
* Drop all patches: Applied (or improved) in new release

-- Jeremy Bicha <jbicha@debian.org> Wed, 06 Sep 2017 22:21:26 -0400
Linux User# 395230

autocrosser

#5 Post by autocrosser »

Digging a bit further I get:
update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
There is only one alternative in link group x-session-manager (providing /usr/bin/x-session-manager): /usr/bin/gnome-session
Nothing to configure.
Linux User# 395230

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by 4D696B65 »

The little gear symbol next to the sign in button gives ( from memory)
gnome x11
gnome
gnome on x11

autocrosser

#7 Post by autocrosser »

4D696B65 wrote:The little gear symbol next to the sign in button gives ( from memory)
gnome x11
gnome
gnome on x11
Yes--that's what I get + a "Cairo-Dock Gnome" that defaults to the X11 session. I checked & I have what "looks" like all the Weston/Wayland components installed. I tried in another terminal (Ctrl+F2) to start a Wayland session, just not working. (I get an "X session is already running" warning). This is with "Xwayland".

If anyone has any other ideas--please chime in.
Linux User# 395230

autocrosser

#8 Post by autocrosser »

OK--So after digging into this for a while, I find: Even though Gnome-Session is up to date, Gnome-Shell is at 3.22.3-3 & 3.24 is required for Wayland. Experimental is at 3.26, but the install is blocked by the update to GJS 1.50--which has a blocking bug #874693 - ES6 syntax in 1.48+ breaks packages that redeclare variables with 'let'. I'm wondering how many packages as affected by this (I know Gnome-Weather is one)--If the packages are trivial, I'll pull from Experimental & set the system for Wayland. Does anyone know or do I need to dig into the various packages to find out?
Linux User# 395230

pylkko

#9 Post by pylkko »

I installed the experimental package on my testing system. No packages broke but the shell was unstable and would just crash at times. So I reverted the update back to gnome-shell 3.22 in unstable (on btrfs root system). However, today I see that a point release update 3.26.1 was uploaded into unstable. Maybe you can try that.

autocrosser

#10 Post by autocrosser »

pylkko wrote:I installed the experimental package on my testing system. No packages broke but the shell was unstable and would just crash at times. So I reverted the update back to gnome-shell 3.22 in unstable (on btrfs root system). However, today I see that a point release update 3.26.1 was uploaded into unstable. Maybe you can try that.
Thank You.....I am in Sid & the updates came in yesterday. Still not able to start Wayland. Must say that 3.26.1 is very stable on my system. I'm going to look further into "why not" later today---going to see Bladerunner 2049 first (maybe that will put me in the right headspace?)
Linux User# 395230

pylkko

#11 Post by pylkko »

3.26.2 is now in unstable, and is, well, unstable. Crashes every now and then (there are segfault messages in the kernel log refering to libgobject-2.0.so). The entire session disappears, all programs close, the user is logged out, all work lost. I noticed that there are bug reports about this on redhat and gnome bugzilla. It's good that Buster is still on 3.22. I wonder if it will stay like that untill 3.28, since I believe GNOME does not do more point releases than 2 and the Debian maintainers don't want to waste time on something so small. Although, like said in the bug reports, it seems to affect only some hardware and not others.

Edit: this is happening on Wayland only. On x there are occasional shell restarts. This makes sense as on Wayland the shell is the display server, so if the shell crashes the entire session is lost. Seems to be related to notifications.
Last edited by pylkko on 2017-11-26 11:48, edited 1 time in total.

autocrosser

#12 Post by autocrosser »

Sorry I didn't see your reply before now---I'm on 3.26.2 & it works very well for me (Intel i7 ). No crashes---but no Wayland either---nVidia is STILL not allowing it to work.......
Linux User# 395230

Danielsan

#13 Post by Danielsan »

Unfortunately Nvidia binary doesn't play at all with Wayland, only Xorg.
Something is moving toward Wayland:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... lloc-Going

autocrosser

#14 Post by autocrosser »

Interesting---looking forward to it.
Linux User# 395230

dotlj

#15 Post by dotlj »

I've been digging for more information on Wayland. There isn't yet anything in Debian wiki.
There is still plenty of information on X Window System.
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/ has some useful information. Last release was December 02.
My best guess is that Wayland won't be replacing X in the next year or two on Debian or many other distros.