Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Intel video drivers insanity.

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
tdiguy

Intel video drivers insanity.

#1 Post by tdiguy »

I have been trying to get vaapi working on my system without much luck.
I have been following this guide: https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/how-to-debi ... l-graphics to try and update: xserver-xorg-video-intel which is installed its ver: 2:2.99.917+git20161206-1
Also while following: https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/how-to-debi ... l-graphics i tried both leaving it completely alone and by replacing stable with stretch without any luck updating.
my graphics card is a intel HD Graphics 500

my system normally runs at runlevel 3, this is the vainfo:

Code: Select all

heath@Emby-Debian:/etc/apt$ vainfo
error: can't connect to X server!
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.4
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_39
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.39 (libva 1.7.3)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) Broxton - 1.7.3
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh      : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh      : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264StereoHigh         : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264StereoHigh         : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileVC1Simple              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           : VAEntrypointEncPicture
      VAProfileVP8Version0_3          : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP8Version0_3          : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP9Profile0            : VAEntrypointVLD

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Intel video drivers insanity.

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

tdiguy wrote:

Are you perchance running the Wayland session of the GNOME desktop?

Your hardware should be supported under Debian stable but you may need the firmware-misc-nonfree package as well for best results.

EDIT: by the way:
replacing stable with stretch
Debian stretch is the current stable release.

Also, the "advice" in your links is absolute nonsense of the worst kind and should not be followed at all, the author clearly knows very little about Debian :roll:
deadbang

tdiguy

#3 Post by tdiguy »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
tdiguy wrote:

Are you perchance running the Wayland session of the GNOME desktop?

Your hardware should be supported under Debian stable but you may need the firmware-misc-nonfree package as well for best results.

EDIT: by the way:
replacing stable with stretch
Debian stretch is the current stable release.

Also, the "advice" in your links is absolute nonsense of the worst kind and should not be followed at all, the author clearly knows very little about Debian :roll:
i somewhat assume i am not running any sort of gnome session. I could be wrong on that though, my skills with virtually anything linux are questionable at best, aside from picking up a few things here and there.
This computer is primarily a headless system set to boot into runlevel 3. Both sessions i see for my user id show as tty which to me makes sense lol i could be wrong though.
I will try adding the firmware-misc-nonfree
Thank you very much.

Also curious when you say firmware-misc-nonfree that would basically be a line in the sources.list such as: deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main non-free firmware-misc-nonfree
right?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ Please do not full quote, it degrades the readability of the thread significantly.

Try selective quoting instead, like this:
tdiguy wrote:This computer is primarily a headless system
I am confused: how do you expect a video driver to work in a headless system?
tdiguy wrote:set to boot into runlevel 3
That statement is meaningless in the context of a Debian system, runlevels 2-5 are identical and are also obsolete — systemd only simulates runlevels and instead uses the .targets paradigm to dictate boot strategies.
tdiguy wrote:Also curious when you say firmware-misc-nonfree that would basically be a line in the sources.list such as: deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main non-free firmware-misc-nonfree
right?
Please do some basic research before asking such questions, here is a link to get you started:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPackageManagement

See also http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47078
deadbang

tdiguy

#5 Post by tdiguy »

The primary purpose for this system is to run as a media server, as such having hardware acceleration is very useful, not having a running GUI simply saves on resources.

Segfault

#6 Post by Segfault »

Headless = no display connected. You need to configure video in your media frontends, not in the backend.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

You have va-api working on your headless server, as seen from the readouts, not that it does you any good. For what it's worth, I also have it working on a Skylake 520 jessie-based system with with jessie-backports, so all that crap about adding the testing repo is useless for your hardware.

But I only have it working well with a backported mpv and my own QMPlay2 packaged players; haven't tried any gstreamer-based players, and VLC seems really flakey with it, though the terminal output says it's using it.
MX Linux packager and developer

tdiguy

#8 Post by tdiguy »

The server i have running should be able to take advantage of vaapi hardware acceleration. I have not been able to get that to work though and i know others are using it so i assumed it is something with my setup.

Segfault

#9 Post by Segfault »

Looks like we have write-only Debian user here. No reading.

tdiguy

#10 Post by tdiguy »

Ya thanks a lot, BTW i know how to install a dam package I have simply ignored a lot of the less than undertoned criticism but dam for a help forum you guys are critical as all hell, sorry not everyone is a dam expert like you. If i had been able to find an answer to my issue searching online i would never have asked.
One of the primary reasons that i thought such a setup would work was that i had my pi3 set up in a similar manner. Granted different hardware but even with just a hard drive and a cat5 cable connected to it i was able to run it and have working hardware acceleration. I upgraded my hardware for the server because the pi choked like hell on aac audio encoding.

Thorny

#11 Post by Thorny »

tdiguy wrote:Ya thanks a lot, ...
It would be wise for you to recognise that when you have to come for help, it is smarter to come as a supplicant. Leaving sarcastic comments aimed at the people who could help you if they chose to, doesn't seem like a productive course of action.

By the way, it's spelled damn, unless you are trying to hold water back.
tdiguy wrote:One of the primary reasons that i thought such a setup would work was that i had my pi3 set up in a similar manner. Granted different hardware but even with just a hard drive and a cat5 cable connected to it i was able to run it and have working hardware acceleration. I upgraded my hardware for the server because the pi choked like hell on aac audio encoding.
Maybe you should have mentioned this at the outset, if I had a question like yours, I think I would have mentioned it as well as what OS was being used on that Pi. I think then I would have answered the questions asked and listened when advised that the website instructions followed were incorrect. Righteous indignation that you aren't being helped as you deserve is not likely to gain you any capitol.

Please Read.. What we expect you have already done.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47078
A corollary, to that is that your questions illustrate the effort that you have made.

When your frustration subsides, if you answer the questions asked, I feel sure that the posters trying to help you will continue to try to help you, they are knowledgeable and generally helpful.

Segfault

#12 Post by Segfault »

I'm wondering how our OP defines hardware acceleration.
So far we knew only there is a headless box and output from vainfo showing ready to work X VA-API. Which of course is useless if the box is headless. Now we have a new term, AAC encoding. Hmmm ... is OP trying to use VA-API for encoding?

In general, I do not think we can get anywhere without waterboarding. Vital info is simply missing.

tdiguy

#13 Post by tdiguy »

Well tell you what, do you have anything constructive to ask of me? Or more instruction on how to install a package?

Yes i came here looking for help, and look what i have received.

tdiguy

#14 Post by tdiguy »

Segfault wrote:I'm wondering how our OP defines hardware acceleration.
So far we knew only there is a headless box and output from vainfo showing ready to work X VA-API. Which of course is useless if the box is headless. Now we have a new term, AAC encoding. Hmmm ... is OP trying to use VA-API for encoding?

In general, I do not think we can get anywhere without waterboarding. Vital info is simply missing.
Might help you to read that entire post rather than picking small segments and jumping to your own incorrect conclusions.
HAD you have read that entire post you would have understood i was talking about my pi3 system, which i upgraded to something else now.

But why read when you can jump to conclusions and criticize others, that seems to be what this board is for.

Segfault

#15 Post by Segfault »

Yes I do have an advice. Since you fail to produce any useful information, you do not answer questions, etc, I suggest following:
Make an appointment at Guantanamo Bay and have yourself waterboarded.

Hand the following list to your interrogators:
0. What I think is hardware acceleration?
1. What I want this VA-API hardware acceleration to do for me?
2. How is VA-API failing to do what I want?
3. Command which I executed to utilize VA-API acceleration.
4. Response from this command with exact failure message.

Then post the transcript of interrogation here.

This should get us at least started.

debiman

#16 Post by debiman »

tdiguy wrote:Well tell you what, do you have anything constructive to ask of me? Or more instruction on how to install a package?

Yes i came here looking for help, and look what i have received.
pipe down.
you have received help. even the post immediately before the quoted one was helpful. or trying to.

let me try one more time:
it seems to me you are using terms like "headless" and "runlevel 3" without fully understanding what that means.
a media server can be headless, yes.
it means it has no screen attached.
in a broader sense, it can also mean that while it has a screen, there's no gui installed and its primary way of communicating with the administrator is via a second machine via ssh.

although it serves media, it has no use for graphical accelaration, because the media simply flows as data to whatever the receiving end is.

PS:
the tone here on debian forums is a little harsh sometimes, but this thread is really rather on the friendly side.
even after you chose to pop a fuse.

PPS:
the way to install a package is 'apt install package'. it should be preceded by 'apt update' and, imho, also an 'apt upgrade'.
i'm sure you could have found this information on one of the wiki pages gracefully provided.