Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Adobe Flash not working in Iceweasel

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
bentHnau

Adobe Flash not working in Iceweasel

#1 Post by bentHnau »

I have Jessie and Iceweasel 52.5.0 64-bit.

I've followed the directions (https://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer#Sem ... tic_update) listed under "Older Versions," except the step

Code: Select all

update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
. I just get "command not found" if I don't add "sudo," so I added it.

sudo update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
gives the following output:

ERROR: gpg failed to import /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/pubkey.asc
More information might be available at:
  http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer
I made sure that contrib and non-free were added to my /etc/apt/sources.list first.

I also tried the manual process, but sites (including http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/) still don't recognize that I have flash installed. The directions that come with the flash download say to copy stuff to /usr (this step is omitted in the Debian flash install instructions that I mentioned above), and I tried that as well. I've tried restarting Iceweasel and logging out and back in.

I'm open to alternatives to adobe flash, but I don't want to use another browser. I tried lightspark and it didn't work. I couldn't get pepperflash installed (can't find the exact package name in jessie backports), and I doubt it would support the websites I need anyhow.

bigrigdriver

Re: Adobe Flash not working in Iceweasel

#2 Post by bigrigdriver »

Have you installed flashplugin-nonfree from the Jessie repo?

https://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer
Registered GNU/Linux user #170078

Go ask google before you ask on these boards.

It it isn't broken, Tweak It !!!

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The flashplugin-nonfree package in jessie is broken because Chrome no longer includes FlashPlayer so it cannot be extracted.
bentHnau wrote:I also tried the manual process
That works for me in my Alpine Linux system so you should probably detail the _exact_ steps that were taken so that we can show you where you went wrong ;)

There are other options: BunsenLabs' bunsen-pepperflash package will download the PepperFlash plugin (and check every day to keep it updated) and so will need the freshplayer wrapper from jessie-backports to work with Firefox whereas MX Linux's flashplugin-nonfree package downloads libflashplayer.so directly from Adobe.
deadbang

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

All you need is libflashplayer.so in ~/.mozilla/plugins. Go to the adobe site and download their Flash tarball. Unpack it and move the libflashplayer.so as above. Discard the rest. Enjoy.

BTW, do you really need Flash? It gets more unnecessary every day.

Spock

#5 Post by Spock »

This procedure for a manual installation works well (with Jessie and with Stretch)
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... =851066#53
Using Debian Jessie oldstable

bentHnau

#6 Post by bentHnau »

Spock wrote:This procedure for a manual installation works well (with Jessie and with Stretch)
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... =851066#53
This is the same thing I did except for the step of checking in Tools -> Add-ons -> Plugins. I see nothing about Adobe Flash in the Plugins section.

bentHnau

#7 Post by bentHnau »

Bulkley wrote:All you need is libflashplayer.so in ~/.mozilla/plugins. Go to the adobe site and download their Flash tarball. Unpack it and move the libflashplayer.so as above. Discard the rest. Enjoy.

BTW, do you really need Flash? It gets more unnecessary every day.
I tried that before and it doesn't work either. I now have libflashplayer.so in both ~/.mozilla/plugins and /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree.

bentHnau

#8 Post by bentHnau »

bigrigdriver wrote:Have you installed flashplugin-nonfree from the Jessie repo?

https://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer
Yes. It doesn't seem to work and I cannot update it according to the instructions; that's why I tried the manual installation.

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Are you absolutely sure that you are using iceweasel?

That package was replaced with firefox-esr some time ago, did you use `apt upgrade` or `aptitude upgrade` or `apt-get dist-upgrade` to force the upgrade through?

Otherwise, why not try installing one of the .debs for the alternative FlashPlayer packages? They can be easily removed afterwards.
deadbang

Bulkley

#10 Post by Bulkley »

bentHnau wrote: I now have libflashplayer.so in both ~/.mozilla/plugins and /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree.
Do you have it turned on? That's a browser setting.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

Iceweasel is now only a dummy transition package that depends on firefox-esr...look at "about" in your browser.

I added an 'update-flashplugin-nonfree-direct" script to the MX version to work around the broken Debian download, but haven't checked it for quite a while since we deprecated it in favor of adobe-flashplugin, which actually contains and installs the standard Flash and Pepperflash binaries, with permission from Adobe.

Bester69 needs to do a listicle of all the various ways to install Flash. :lol:
MX Linux packager and developer

Bulkley

#12 Post by Bulkley »

bentHnau, which Web sites are giving you trouble? I ask so we can test with our setups. These days many, if not most, sites are migrating to HTML5 and don't use Flash at all. The ones that do are dependent on depositing Flash cookies in your browser. You may find that one of your privacy extensions is blocking the Flash cookies (we should all be so lucky) and causing problems.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#13 Post by NFT5 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:There are other options: BunsenLabs' bunsen-pepperflash package will download the PepperFlash plugin (and check every day to keep it updated) and so will need the freshplayer wrapper from jessie-backports to work with Firefox whereas MX Linux's flashplugin-nonfree package downloads libflashplayer.so directly from Adobe.
The Bunsen labs solution was excellent, until Adobe moved the Flash files, at which point it stopped working and I switched to the MX solution, which works just fine but requires manual updating in Jessie. I don't know if the Bunsen Labs solution has been updated, if so then its daily updating makes it a set and forget deal, which is very convenient.

I've tried the manual install and it seems to work on some machines and not others. To that extent I think I can support OPs experience.
Bulkley wrote:bentHnau, which Web sites are giving you trouble? I ask so we can test with our setups. These days many, if not most, sites are migrating to HTML5 and don't use Flash at all. The ones that do are dependent on depositing Flash cookies in your browser. You may find that one of your privacy extensions is blocking the Flash cookies (we should all be so lucky) and causing problems.
I agree about some sites not playing nice with ad blockers.

While there has been a general movement to HTML5, some of the TV streaming sites are still using Flash. Just one example: http://tv.cctv.com/live/cctv4/

Head_on_a_Stick

#14 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

NFT5 wrote:The Bunsen labs solution was excellent, until Adobe moved the Flash files, at which point it stopped working and I switched to the MX solution, which works just fine but requires manual updating in Jessie. I don't know if the Bunsen Labs solution has been updated
I've just tested it and it certainly seems to work:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=659661#p659661

I think we will be removing the python dependency and scraping the version directly from the site instead for future releases (once Helium is out of the door, ofc).

EDIT: I say "we" but I do of course mean John, the author :D
deadbang

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

We had a separate mx-flash package in MX 15/16 that used the fixed flashplugin-nonfree-direct script and bunsen-pepperflash to either manually do the updates, or you had the option to use it to set cron jobs to update automatically. But when we got the permission from Adobe to redistribute Flash, we (meaning me) just went with the way Ubuntu was packaging them, since the old way was vulnerable to frequent breakages from Adobe upstream :

http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/poo ... ashplugin/

Though I did a little tweaking to get it to work with chromium and iridium-browser. So the old packages are still in the MX 15/16 repo, but deprecated and unmaintained, and we aren't doing those for MX 17. Updates to adobe-flashplugin means everyone gets a new Flash pushed to them if they have it installed.

Deb-multimedia does much the same thing, except doesn't have to care about getting any permission from Adobe to redistribute their files.
MX Linux packager and developer

michapma

#16 Post by michapma »

I also recently solved this problem for myself with the command

# apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree
Sorry for the spam.