Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lost my recently updated Debian Stretch Kernel (4.9.0-3)

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
macx

Lost my recently updated Debian Stretch Kernel (4.9.0-3)

#1 Post by macx »

Hello everyone,

I lost my current Debian Stretch(9.1) Kernel (4.9.0-3) by installing the second OS Kali Linux's grub, I need some help from the community.

Thanks in advance.

In summary what I did and how I ended up with my current Debian installation using a kernel version: 3.2.68-1+deb7u1 was that yesterday I installed in another hard-drive Kali Linux installation (my system is a dual boot system Debian and Kali Linux) went smooth without issues at all, but at the end of the process when choosing to install Grub(from the Kali linux setup process) I installed Kali's grub by mistake, and I think this was the thing that hide from me the previously updated Debian's kernel (4.9.0-3) (if it is around still), I just need to know how to install the new kernel for my debian's system(4.9.0-3) as I was using before installing Kali, and also if somebody knows, I would definitely like to know how this thing happened and why, if I just installed Kali's grub and booting from debian now was not the same, I have kernel 3.2.68 now(I think this kernel is from the time that Wheezy's Debian releases where happening) .

Thank you!

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Lost my recently updated Debian Stretch Kernel (4.9.0-3)

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Boot into stretch and reinstall and reconfigure GRUB from there.
deadbang

macx

#3 Post by macx »

Is reinstalling the grub(from Stretch) will give me my previous kernel (4.9.0-3)?

Do you know why this happen?

Thanks!

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

macx wrote:Is reinstalling the grub(from Stretch) will give me my previous kernel (4.9.0-3)?
Yes.

To clarify: I mean install GRUB to the disk using the `grub-install` command (followed by `update-grub`) rather than just `apt install grub-whatever`
Do you know why this happen?
You may still find your original Debian stretch kernel in your current (Kali) boot menu — check in the "Advanced options" submenu.

More specifically, this happened because you are using a distribution that is intended for IT professionals with a very specific focus as if it were suitable as for general desktop usage, this is a silly thing to do (IMO).

If you want to play around with Kali then run it "live", as intended, it won't muck up your boot menu then ;)
deadbang