Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] wifi configuration, issue with kde wallet

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
linuxsat

[Solved] wifi configuration, issue with kde wallet

#1 Post by linuxsat »

Hi,

I have a Dell Latitude 5480 Laptop with Debian 9.2 (stretch) with the kde/plasma desktop, installed recently. The kde wallet manager was asking for password when my
laptop was connecting automatically to the wifi. So, i disabled kde wallet in the system settings, restarted my computer and then supresssed that wifi connection in order to reconfigure it. That method is indicated here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWujE2hBgo8

Now the problem is that I can't use the net manager to reconfigure my wifi connection anymore: the "ok" button in the (plasma) network manager
stay shaded, so the configuration cannot be saved. I suspect that some files wasn't cleaned properly?

I spent some time to search on the net but unsucessfully (I suspect that my keywords are too or not enaough specific.... ).
Last edited by linuxsat on 2017-11-29 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

Re: wifi configuration, issue with kde wallet

#2 Post by bw123 »

I don't use kwallet either, user account is member of netdev group and it works okay. I did have an issue trying to eneter in two DNS addresses, as soon as the first was completed and i typed the comma the okay button greyed out. I just edited the connection manually and added the other one.

Maybe you should just delete that connection and start over?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

linuxsat

#3 Post by linuxsat »

Thanks for your answer,

I'm not sure to understand it properly, I already delete the wifi connection. But now, the "ok" button of the net manager (plasma-nm) is always shaded
no matter what i type in the various fields.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

Sorry, I didn't understand, you can't create a new connection at all through the gui? Maybe either undo whatever steps the youtube video told you to do, or try the nmtui command in a terminal. It's new, looks pretty simple.

What happens when you select the ap in the dropdown, does it create it then?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

linuxsat

#5 Post by linuxsat »

Ok, I undid the steps, and redid them in a different order, especially I created the connection
before stopping the kwallet daemon, finally the gui of the network manager seems to accept
the changes since the "OK" button is not shaded while I'm typing something!

The only problem is that I have to retype my password every time I connect to this wifi network,
but this may not be related to the kwallet problem.

I will soon configure another wifi in another place so I let you know the result. Also, thank you for telling me about the nmtui command.

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

I have to retype my password every time I connect to this wifi network,
yes, I hate this about nm, all the passwords and wallets and stuff. The way that I have found that works is to go to /etc/NetworkMananger/system-connections and find the file for the connection giving you the problem, it;s named after the AP. Go in there as root and replace the line that starts with "psk-flags" with psk=thepassword and then save the file, from terminal use nmcli con reload.

After that, it should never ask for a wallet or password again for that connection.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

linuxsat

#7 Post by linuxsat »

II apologize for the delay in my answer. As I said previously, I configured another wifi connection and it works!
For the password problem I will keep your method in my papers (Now I know in which file to look at) , but I found that, if In the window
of the nm-manager ( that in which the password can be writen) I click on the diquette icon (on the right) and, I choose
"store password and make it available for all users (not encrypted)", then the nm-manager do not ask me for the password anymore :)
It s not so risky for me since I am the only user on thet laptop :mrgreen:
Thanks again!