Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Newest Nvidia driver for Jessie

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
phoenix_art

Newest Nvidia driver for Jessie

#1 Post by phoenix_art »

Dear people!

I need the newest Nvidia driver, I only could install the Version 340.102 from https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers. Any other than it will crash my system - white screen with something went wrong, or black screen after boot. :(

If I could I'd like to install the newest driver from Nvidia website, and I downloaded it but I don't wanna try to install without Your help because my previous tries with errors.

So if someone could tell me how should I update my driver version to the newest it would be great.

Best regards!

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Newest Nvidia driver for Jessie

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The link you have posted already explains exactly how to install a newer version in jessie, you should follow that.
deadbang

phoenix_art

#3 Post by phoenix_art »

Of course, I've followed... -> "Any other than it will crash my system", as I wrote nothing worked except the version 340. :(
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:The link you have posted already explains exactly how to install a newer version in jessie, you should follow that.

Spock

#4 Post by Spock »

phoenix_art wrote:Of course, I've followed... -> "Any other than it will crash my system", as I wrote nothing worked except the version 340. :(
What is your video card?

If the 340 driver works, why not using this one?
Using Debian Jessie oldstable

phoenix_art

#5 Post by phoenix_art »

Nvidia 750TI, yes it works but some games needed update to newer version.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

So if you followed the wiki, what did nvidia-detect from jessie-backports say when you ran it?
MX Linux packager and developer

Ardouos

#7 Post by Ardouos »

phoenix_art wrote:Of course, I've followed... -> "Any other than it will crash my system", as I wrote nothing worked except the version 340. :(
That's weird, I have a 750 ti and the 375 driver works great. There is hope ;)

If you want assistance, you should try to post how you have originally installed the 340 driver and how did you attempt to install the 375 driver. Provide your configurations and what commands you have used.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

phoenix_art

#8 Post by phoenix_art »

Thanks for the replies. :) I decided to switching to the newest Linux Mint with XFCE, and it could install the newest version NVIDIA driver with the system built in driver-installer automatically.

As I wrote I followed the step by step instrucion on the link, which I mentioned, I could see every command from there without any error when run. But after rebooting I just get black blank screen. :(

phoenix_art

#9 Post by phoenix_art »

Ardouos wrote:
That's weird, I have a 750 ti and the 375 driver works great. There is hope ;)

If you want assistance, you should try to post how you have originally installed the 340 driver and how did you attempt to install the 375 driver. Provide your configurations and what commands you have used.
I tried the 375 driver too from that website but it stucked after reboot the same black screen. :( Thanks anyway!

Ardouos

#10 Post by Ardouos »

phoenix_art wrote: I tried the 375 driver too from that website but it stucked after reboot the same black screen. :( Thanks anyway!
From the sounds of it, you are pretty happy with LM, which is great. Maybe in the future you will be confident to try again with Stretch. :mrgreen:
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

phoenix_art

#11 Post by phoenix_art »

Thanks. :) Maybe, but my plan is the next version of Debian will be the 10. :) I'm waiting for the first stable version of that very much.
Ardouos wrote:
phoenix_art wrote: I tried the 375 driver too from that website but it stucked after reboot the same black screen. :( Thanks anyway!
From the sounds of it, you are pretty happy with LM, which is great. Maybe in the future you will be confident to try again with Stretch. :mrgreen:

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Just out of interest, can we please see the output of this command from your Mint system:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cmdline
A black screen usually indicates that kernel mode setting should be disabled so if Mint uses "nomodeset" then perhaps applying that parameter to a stretch box would get things working.
deadbang

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

There are also distros that based on Debian rather than the kissin' cousin Ubuntu, but are more aimed at beginners, much like Mint. SolydXK, Sparky, MX, etc. all have Nvidia driver installers.
MX Linux packager and developer

phoenix_art

#14 Post by phoenix_art »

Yes, of course:

"~ $ cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.8.0-53-generic root=UUID=5d19b14a-c0d2-4360-836b-518fee5e737d ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7"
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Just out of interest, can we please see the output of this command from your Mint system:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cmdline
A black screen usually indicates that kernel mode setting should be disabled so if Mint uses "nomodeset" then perhaps applying that parameter to a stretch box would get things working.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#15 Post by None1975 »

phoenix_art wrote:Yes, of course:

"~ $ cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.8.0-53-generic root=UUID=5d19b14a-c0d2-4360-836b-518fee5e737d ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7"
Hello. As i understand, you are on Debian 8.9? If so, how you obtain a 4.8-53 kernel? On Jessie kernel is 3.16...
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Ardouos

#16 Post by Ardouos »

None1975 wrote: Hello. As i understand, you are on Debian 8.9? If so, how you obtain a 4.8-53 kernel? On Jessie kernel is 3.16...
The user is currently using Linux Mint.
phoenix_art wrote:I decided to switching to the newest Linux Mint with XFCE

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#17 Post by None1975 »

Thanks, Ardouos. Another newbie lift away from Debian land...
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

phoenix_art

#18 Post by phoenix_art »

Nothing especially. Just always do the "aptitude-safe upgrade" when it needed. :)

But now I'm on Linux Mint 18.2 Xfce, as I mentioned before.
None1975 wrote:
phoenix_art wrote:Yes, of course:

"~ $ cat /proc/cmdline
Hello. As i understand, you are on Debian 8.9? If so, how you obtain a 4.8-53 kernel? On Jessie kernel is 3.16...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Post by sunrat »

375.82 is available in jessie-backports repository in case anyone wants to know.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... lla-search
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

phoenix_art

#20 Post by phoenix_art »

I'm not a newbie, and I'm continue using Debian, but on servers. On desktop I see the Mint better than Debian. :)
None1975 wrote:Thanks, Ardouos. Another newbie lift away from Debian land...