Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What kernel do you use

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
milomak

Re: What kernel do you use

#161 Post by milomak »

i started using aptosid kernels way back and can't even remember why i do

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux lenovo-debian 4.11.0-7.slh.3-aptosid-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT aptosid 4.11-16 (2017-06-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

bester69

#162 Post by bester69 »

I stopped installing and testing new kernels.
I found out according to my tests, that ubuntu's kernel 4.4.39 can't be improved in terms of performance and behavior with my laptop (Acer Extensa 5230).

I dont even try anymore with any other kernels. :o , this kernel works perfect in this model.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Linadian

#163 Post by Linadian »

bester69 wrote:I stopped installing and testing new kernels.
I found out according to my tests, that ubuntu's kernel 4.4.39 can't be improved in terms of performance and behavior with my laptop (Acer Extensa 5230).

I dont even try anymore with any other kernels. :o , this kernel works perfect in this model.
Same here, if the highest LTS works good, I use it and stick with it, and keep it updated.
Linux Registered User 533946

bester69

#164 Post by bester69 »

This is crazy, i cant move on from kernel ubuntu's 4.4.39, ive tried last 4.4.x, i tried last debian's , i tried 4.8.x branch, 4.1.x, debians's 4.13 Its very , very extrange, but i dont feel confortable with another kernel, I must have some kind of super power, cos i can feel the performance difference even when they might be milliseconds difference, dude, Im able to feel it..wtf, at first i thought it could be some kind of placebo effect, but its not, its not definitlly, I can stand up some other kernel for some few days until i realize its not working same well so i come back to 4.4.39.. its really , really weird in my opinion.. At first, I was able to be improving, moving from kernel to better kernel, until i reached 4.4.39...

definitlly i have some kind of weird psychic ability or superpower.. :mrgreen: , seriouslly.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

anticapitalista

#165 Post by anticapitalista »

bester69 wrote:...

definitlly i have some kind of weird psychic ability or superpower.. :mrgreen: , seriouslly.
Doesn't help you with spelling though :lol:
antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

stevepusser

#166 Post by stevepusser »

anticapitalista wrote:

Phoronix needs to throw away all their scientific testing computers and programs and just hire you to test kernels by "feels", then.

Steve...currently testing backported 4.14-2.3 Liquorix kernel.
MX Linux packager and developer

bester69

#167 Post by bester69 »

stevepusser wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:

Phoronix needs to throw away all their scientific testing computers and programs and just hire you to test kernels by "feels", then.

Steve...currently testing backported 4.14-2.3 Liquorix kernel.
I think this must be a some kind of ability similar /analogous to wine testing, I really got it. :P , You think, if i werent able to feel it i would have some incertitude about which ones is performing better....Its just i find it a curious thing-

Head_on_a_Stick

#168 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

@bester69, everybody here thinks that you are completely full of sh*t and the only way to change that is to post some objective benchmarks to _prove_ that your "superpowers" do in fact exist.

EDIT: added asterisk (sorry Garry!).

EDIT2: back on topic:

empty@Xanadu:~ $ cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.14.3-1-zen (builduser@heftig-32259) (gcc version 7.2.1 20171128 (GCC)) #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Thu Nov 30 11:33:39 UTC 2017
empty@Xanadu:~ $
deadbang

ticojohn

#169 Post by ticojohn »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:@bester69, everybody here thinks that you are completely full of sh*t
Whoa! Harsh but accurate.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

GarryRicketson

#170 Post by GarryRicketson »

EDIT: added asterisk (sorry Garry!).
At first I didn't understand why the apology,... any way no problem, these days
it is becoming more acceptable, I stumbled on to this in a search,....
Shite is a common variant in British and Irish English.[1] As a slang term, it has many meanings, including: nonsense, foolishness, something of little value or quality, trivial and usually boastful or inaccurate talk, or a contemptible person. It could also be used to refer to any other noun in general, or to be used as an expression of annoyance, surprise, or anger.
One could also say:
el es lleno de chorra
instead of
full of sh*t
But actually in a way, I guess I am the same, I must have some kind of weird psychic ability or superpower, or like he says , on the wine tasting,... I don't have any "scientific" proof, but this kernel :

$ uname -a
OpenBSD  6.2 GENERIC.MP#0 amd64
Just "feels better", so that is what I am using.
Oh, and also sometimes I have no clue about how to solve a problem, or how to do something, so I I get tired after reading tons of documentation, manuals, etc,...and none of it makes sense, so I go to sleep,... amazingly when I wake up , I just know the solution,... "sleep on it", and then these dreams, and cosmic revelations, and then I wake up. :mrgreen:
----- edit-----
P.S. @Bester,... Just kidding around with this, no real offence intended, your posts do keep a lot people entertained. :mrgreen:
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-12-02 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

ticojohn

#171 Post by ticojohn »

So with all this discussion about which kernel do you use, I have a somewhat serious question to ask. I know that newer kernels can afford the user with some benefits, such as
1. Security updates
2. Better drivers
3. Improved performance
As to improved performance and better drivers, I have a somewhat indifferent attitude; if it works don't fix it.I'm not a gamer so speed isn't a big issue (the computer is a heck of a lot faster than I am), and my hardware seems to work fine. But regarding security updates, would those not be taken care of in the normal course of things if one has

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

in their sources list? Or should the user always be looking to update the kernel to the latest and greatest version?

Head_on_a_Stick

#172 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

GarryRicketson wrote:

$ uname -a
OpenBSD  6.2 GENERIC.MP#0 amd64
I think you need to run syspatch(8), that's the -release kernel.

Puffy: ~ $ uname -a
OpenBSD Puffy.lan 6.2 GENERIC.MP#237 amd64
Puffy: ~ $
-current is 237 patches ahead :cool:
deadbang

Head_on_a_Stick

#173 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

ticojohn wrote:security updates
The upstream kernel fixes for security issues are very quickly patched into Debian stable (and oldstable) kernels, only the testing kernel gets left behind (thanks to the mandatory 10-14 day transition delay from sid) and they even patch that early if it's serious enough.

The security conscious would be better advised to run one of the LTS kernel branches anyway (as Debian does) because any new features will always introduce the possibility of new vulnerabilities.
deadbang

ticojohn

#174 Post by ticojohn »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
ticojohn wrote:security updates
The security conscious would be better advised to run one of the LTS kernel branches anyway (as Debian does) because any new features will always introduce the possibility of new vulnerabilities.
Thanks for that feedback. I'm running Jessie i386 as my main use system and it of course has an older kernel. But knowing that security patches still take place as long as it is on LTS gives some piece of mind. I don't feel the need to always be updating just to say I have the latest and greatest. Security and stability are much more important to me. Great answer HOAS!

GarryRicketson

#175 Post by GarryRicketson »

-current is 237 patches ahead :cool:
Interesting, I have been running 'syspatch', in fact just ran it again now,

# syspatch
Get/Verify syspatch62-002_fktrace... Get/Verify syspatch62-002_fktrace... Get/Verify syspatch62-002_fktrace... Get/Verify syspatch62-002_fktrace... Get/Verify syspatch62-002_fktrace... Get/Verify syspatch62-002_fktrace... 100%    785 KB    00:04    
Installing patch 002_fktrace
Relinking to create unique kernel... done.
# uname -a
OpenBSD garry.garry.org 6.2 GENERIC.MP#0 amd64

I have not rebooted, yet though, don't know if that will make any difference,...
I suppose though, also even though the topic title does not specify :
What kernel do you use

The main interest here is Linux kernels,... any way I am going to look into this
some more. Thanks

Head_on_a_Stick

#176 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ OK, I may be wrong about that — I've never used -release or -stable :D
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#177 Post by GarryRicketson »

After a reboot,

uname -a
OpenBSD garry.garry.org 6.2 GENERIC.MP#1 amd64

I've never used -release or -stable
Like wise, I do not use the "current", it keeps changing to fast for me. I just wait until the next upgrade, which will be in November, however I do run
'syspatch' every so often. As you can see , there were a couple of new ones.

anticapitalista

#178 Post by anticapitalista »

uname -a
Linux antix1 4.14.2-antix.1-amd64-smp #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Nov 25 20:09:07 EET 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux
antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

archimboldo

#179 Post by archimboldo »

4.13.0-0.bpo.1-amd64

stevepusser

#180 Post by stevepusser »

bester69 wrote: I think this must be a some kind of ability similar /analogous to wine testing, I really got it. :P , You think, if i werent able to feel it i would have some incertitude about which ones is performing better....Its just i find it a curious thing-
Hmmm...it's fitting that you picked wine tasting, since that's also been shown to be mostly BS via blinded tests. Dowsers also fool themselves into thinking they have some amazing power, yet fail every scientific test, notably ones where they agreed to every condition beforehand, then try and make excuses afterwards. https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... find-pipes
MX Linux packager and developer