Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ACPI error during 1st boot after installation

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
debian

ACPI error during 1st boot after installation

#1 Post by debian »

I have a rather old 32-bit AMD Sempron computer with 1 GB RAM, 120 GB IDE HDD, a CD (no DVD) drive, and 4 USB2 ports sans boot support that I just finished installing with a debian 9.2.1. During the 1st boot, it dumbed some error messages as shown on the links below (related to ACPI) and prompted with a busybox shell. So, what I can do to resolve this issue?

Beginning or error messages (or scrot.moe)
End of error messages with a busybox shell prompt (or scrot.moe)
Last edited by debian on 2017-11-22 02:14, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

Re: ACPI error during 1st boot after installation

#2 Post by bw123 »

I have an older sempron machine, I thought they were all 64 bit, but anyway it throws some AE_ALREADY_EXISTS errors, but it doesn't affect the bootup.

I don't use pics, so I can't help more, did you look up the error messages?

p.s. loglevel=3 kernel parameter might show you what is really the issue, default loglevel shows warnings that aren't fatal as well.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

noscript doesn't like your image uploader.
please try imgur or scrot.moe

debian

#4 Post by debian »

debiman wrote:noscript doesn't like your image uploader.
please try imgur or scrot.moe
Just updated my OP to include scrot.moe links.

debian

#5 Post by debian »

bw123 wrote:I have an older sempron machine, I thought they were all 64 bit, but anyway it throws some AE_ALREADY_EXISTS errors, but it doesn't affect the bootup.
When I tried to install with a 64-bit OpenSuSE Leap 42.3, it complained with an incompatibility message for a 32-bit platform.
I don't use pics, so I can't help more, did you look up the error messages?
I am not sure what exactly did you mean.
p.s. loglevel=3 kernel parameter might show you what is really the issue, default loglevel shows warnings that aren't fatal as well.
How do I do that?

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

ok, had a look at the pics.
the error message is clear and repeating.
you should search for it, e.g. "linux acpi ae_error during initialization" etc.
try a few permutations of search terms.

the last error (gave up waiting for root) however could be unrelated, i.e. you have 2 things wrong.
debian wrote:
How do I do that?
you add it to the kernel command line (in grub edit mode).

debian

#7 Post by debian »

OK. I added loglevel=3 and now the error message says it could not find my HDD as show in this link or below. I have no idea why it complains my HDD is missing. BTW, I have a Windows XP on a 2nd HDD if that helps.

Code: Select all

Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ... done. 
Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ... done. 
done. 
Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device
done. 
Begin: Waiting for root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-block .. 
done. 
done. 
Gave up waiting for root file system device. Common problems:
 - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
   - Check rootdelays= (did the system wait long enough?)
 - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules: ls /dev)
ALERT!  UUID=5f0f169c-9727-4f7d-b185-b3a3d8c2c88c does not exist.  Dropping to a
 shell!

BusyBox v1.22.1 (Debian 1:1.22.0-19+b3) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs)

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

Botched install, or previous version of grub?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debian

#9 Post by debian »

bw123 wrote:Botched install, or previous version of grub?
Not sure what exactly you meant, but this is a new installation with the HDD re-partitioned and/or formatted (not sure if the MBR got refreshed).

debiman

#10 Post by debiman »

it is strange because this error doesn't seem to have anything to do with the previous error.

i'd like to go back and clarify something you said in your 1st post: the machine has "4 USB2 ports sans boot support".
i take it that "sans" means "without", so what do you mean by "4 USB2 ports without boot support"?

the previous error is fairly common, after you clarified we can fix that.
unless it points to a dying hdd?

debian

#11 Post by debian »

debiman wrote:i'd like to go back and clarify something you said in your 1st post: the machine has "4 USB2 ports sans boot support".
i take it that "sans" means "without", so what do you mean by "4 USB2 ports without boot support"?
What I tried to say is the USB ports can not be used to boot any USB storage that has an ISO image and/or OS. For instance, if I used the dd utility to make a copy of DVD image to a USB memory and plug it into any of the USB2 port, the computer won't be able to boot off of the USB memory stick.
the previous error is fairly common, after you clarified we can fix that. unless it points to a dying hdd?
I don't think the HDD is the issue because I can use it on other Pentium Celeron machine after installing with a debian 9.x. Perhaps, it is a buggy BIOS?

bw123

#12 Post by bw123 »

So you can't boot from usb to find this, hmm insteresting problem.

ALERT!  UUID=5f0f169c-9727-4f7d-b185-b3a3d8c2c88c does not exist.  Dropping to a
 shell!

I haven't used busybox in a long while, it's not friendly, but you could websearch for a guide and look around a little.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debian

#13 Post by debian »

bw123 wrote:So you can't boot from usb to find this, hmm insteresting problem.
I wished I could.

shell!

I haven't used busybox in a long while, it's not friendly, but you could websearch for a guide and look around a little.
There is nothing I could do with such a limited busybox shell. It does not even have mount, fsck, fdisk , etc.

bw123

#14 Post by bw123 »

what about using the existing grub on hd to boot rescue from an install image on usb? Shouldn't be to hard to figure out. How did you install it anyway? What is it an old socket A board or what? got a cdrom and an older rescue image handy?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

pylkko

#15 Post by pylkko »

considering that it is an old IDE HDD and the error suggests rootdelay, I would at least try it. it is a kernel boot parameter that waits some specified amount of time before proceeding in order to avoid the situation where the kernel "is a head of itself" and tries to use the root disk before it is up and ready. the error messages say that the disk cannot be found/mounted. it might also be damaged/corrupted. I think it is a good idea to try to live boot the computer off of either USB or optical disk. You said earlier that your tried writing an dvd iso with dd to a USB memory stick and that it didn't boot. Are you sure you used a "hybrid iso" when you did this? non-hybrid iso's will not work from a USB drive directly without using some tools to manipulate the image. I cannot remember how it was (long time ago) but I think that there were some computers with USB in the olden days that would nevertheless not have USB boot made possible in the BIOS/firmware. Does the BIOS have a "boot from USB" menu/option? Do you have another IDE HDD?

debiman

#16 Post by debiman »

pylkko wrote:I cannot remember how it was (long time ago) but I think that there were some computers with USB in the olden days that would nevertheless not have USB boot made possible in the BIOS/firmware.
i can confirm this.
Does the BIOS have a "boot from USB" menu/option? Do you have another IDE HDD?
another not so old machine i played with can boot from usb, but the usb sticks are recognized as (usb) hard drives in the bios!

debian, in any case, you should also check if the UUID really matches the one of the hdd partition in your machine.

sudo lsblk -f

debian

#17 Post by debian »

bw123 wrote:what about using the existing grub on hd to boot rescue from an install image on usb? Shouldn't be to hard to figure out. How did you install it anyway?
I can select Recue option on the GRUB menu through a CDROM boot. But, how do I fix this once in the recue mode with a shell prompt?
What is it an old socket A board or what?
Not sure what exactly you meant here. AFAIK, this is an old 32-bit AMD Sempron (bought grom a local Fry's Electronics store back in 2004, IIRC) and I put in an IDE HDD to run Windows XP. Now, I would like it to run Linux. So, I chose debian 9.x and ended up with this issue.
got a cdrom and an older rescue image handy?
There is CDROM drive. Not sure what you meant by an older rescue image.
Last edited by debian on 2017-12-05 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

debian

#18 Post by debian »

pylkko wrote:You said earlier that your tried writing an dvd iso with dd to a USB memory stick and that it didn't boot. Are you sure you used a "hybrid iso" when you did this? non-hybrid iso's will not work from a USB drive directly without using some tools to manipulate the image. I cannot remember how it was (long time ago) but I think that there were some computers with USB in the olden days that would nevertheless not have USB boot made possible in the BIOS/firmware. Does the BIOS have a "boot from USB" menu/option? Do you have another IDE HDD?
NO and the BIOS has no such a boot option for any USB ports.

Anyway, after I downloaded the debian 9.x DVD, I used dd if=<debian 9.x DVD IMG file> of=/dev/sdb bs=4M to make the copy to my USB memory stick (I suppose it produces a non-hybrid ISO).

bw123

#19 Post by bw123 »

However you can get to a boot prompt, the task is to find out the hd uuid, if it's not UUID=5f0f169c-9727-4f7d-b185-b3a3d8c2c88c then I don't know how that would happen.

You could maybe install grub again to /dev/sda and update-grub and fix it.

On the usb thing, I have an older board that won't find a usb flash at boot time if it's plugged intot the front ports, but does fine booting when it is plugged into the back ports.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debian

#20 Post by debian »

debiman wrote:debian, in any case, you should also check if the UUID really matches the one of the hdd partition in your machine.

sudo lsblk -f
I had re-installed debian 9.x several times since and formatted the HDD in every re-installation. So, now the UUID is different. Anyway, I booted using rescue through a CDROM and did a lsblk -f to confirm the current UUID matches what's shown on current error messages. I am starting to think there is some service I need to turn off (disable) during the boot process to eliminate this issue, but don't know what to disable, unfortunately.

FYI, here is the output of my lsblk -f:

NAME   FSTYPE  LABEL                  UUID                                 MOUNTPOINT
sda                                                                        
├─sda1 ext4                           8720c10a-504e-4fc6-924f-89207fdfbd52 /
├─sda2                                                                     
├─sda5 swap                           761dfc7b-63a7-4f6a-af37-42bd7c489b35 
└─sda6 ext4                           7572e755-a95f-4e6e-9427-d1b8a0016f1f