Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Google is getting better all the time ...

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Segfault

Google is getting better all the time ...

#1 Post by Segfault »

... oh wait.
Today I discovered I cannot get directions in Google Maps any more. Using Google Chromium. I searched for destination, and the next step would be to get directions. Nope, this item is gone. And of course, Google Maps go into light mode in Chromium and there is no way to force it to the full mode. In Firefox Google Maps work in full mode. So what is it. Just me or Google wants to get rid of users in general?

debiman

Re: Google is getting better all the time ...

#2 Post by debiman »

they probably want you to stay logged into a google account at all times, and only use Chrome on Windows.
or they just pushed out a new app "google directions" and want you to use that instead.
:roll:

otoh, openstreetmap is getting better all the time...

Zjho

#3 Post by Zjho »

As an alternative to Firefox, Directions for Google Maps is also available while using Chrome on Stretch.
@ debiman : thanks for openstreetmap reference, has some useful public footpaths shown which otherwise would require paid subscription.

n_hologram

#4 Post by n_hologram »

It's working fine in Palemoon...

Also, AddressToGPS (albeit using the Google api) with OpenStreetMap is a great alternative for Android phones.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

Segfault

#5 Post by Segfault »

OpenStreetMap is great! Thank you.

acewiza

#6 Post by acewiza »

Segfault wrote:Google is getting better all the time ...
If you actually used more than one "free" Google app you might realize how your topic statement actually rings true. Google, et al is probably the only big tech company I have even the slightest respect for these days.

OBTW, it's not "Google" anymore - the name is "Alphabet." Just FYI. :roll: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabet_Inc.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

n_hologram

#7 Post by n_hologram »

By the way, I saw this just now, too:
https://apple.slashdot.org/story/17/12/ ... hrome-apps

Hopefully we can see a world wehre the Clickhole expose' is revealed to be Google's real business practices.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing

zsoltid

#8 Post by zsoltid »

Hi all,
I have a question about chromium browser in raspberry pi 3 (armhf).
There is a known problem about viewing PDF in chromium with parameter view=fitH, fitV, since an update to Chrome, when certain types of plugins, known as NPAPI plugins like Adobe Reader were no longer be available. This may be why some of the plugins are no longer working. Now chromium uses its own pdf viewer.

I read that with pleasure maybe there will be a solution for my problem (missing view=fitH and view=fitV part of the PDF in chromium) on site https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... l?id=64309, when developers tried to implement these viewing/missing parameters into current pdf-viewer.

I was writing to the implementator, because he is the owner of that ticket. He sent me a link where the changes is already in the latest Chrome build on the Dev channel. I can get it at https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/d ... devchannel devchannel
This is a developer version 64.0... I tried that in Windows, it is working correctly, but I couldn't install it to raspbian/debian in raspberry pi 3:
'package architecture (amd64) does not match system (armhf)'

What do you think, do you know about a website, where I can download chromium developer versions for raspberry pi 3, for system armhf (that contains this correction), or do you have any idea to solve my problem?

Zsolti

n_hologram

#9 Post by n_hologram »

zsoltid wrote:Hi all,
I have a question about chromium browser in raspberry pi 3 (armhf).
There is a known problem about viewing PDF in chromium with parameter view=fitH, fitV, since an update to Chrome, when certain types of plugins, known as NPAPI plugins like Adobe Reader were no longer be available. This may be why some of the plugins are no longer working. Now chromium uses its own pdf viewer.

I read that with pleasure maybe there will be a solution for my problem (missing view=fitH and view=fitV part of the PDF in chromium) on site https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... l?id=64309, when developers tried to implement these viewing/missing parameters into current pdf-viewer.

I was writing to the implementator, because he is the owner of that ticket. He sent me a link where the changes is already in the latest Chrome build on the Dev channel. I can get it at https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/d ... devchannel devchannel
This is a developer version 64.0... I tried that in Windows, it is working correctly, but I couldn't install it to raspbian/debian in raspberry pi 3:
'package architecture (amd64) does not match system (armhf)'

What do you think, do you know about a website, where I can download chromium developer versions for raspberry pi 3, for system armhf (that contains this correction), or do you have any idea to solve my problem?

Zsolti
Why don't you start a new thread about this issue?

zsoltid

#10 Post by zsoltid »

Ok, I created a new topic for that.
How can I delete this comment here?