Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Thanks to the Debian CD Team!

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Argus

Thanks to the Debian CD Team!

#1 Post by Argus »

And to everyone who participates in the popularity contest!

Hi everyone. I'm new to Debian.

I came here after a long search for how I could put all (or most) of the software from my distros repository on a USB stick. After being very discouraged with the size of most repositories and the inability to separate the common packages from the least commonly used ones, I gave up on cloning my distro's repositories. But, I stumbled upon apt-cdrom and Debian's popularity contest, which is used to place packages in order by popularity on the DVD/CD images containing both the installer and repositories.

I just wanted to say: this is awesome! In a time when people just assume users to always have internet all of the time, it's quite difficult to find anyone thinking about users who may want or need to do things offline.

I hope this project continues well into the future, even after dvds become extinct and wifi everywhere is a thing. I'd still have use for it, even in those cases.

For now, I'm enjoying my new, portable, "off the grid" netbook setup, which is comprised of:
- Debian + the Debian DVD images for all of my Software
- stackdump, for searching/hosting StackOverflow/StackExchange dump files
- The Simple English Wikipedia (using a zim file / reader)

All installed on a GDP Pocket netbook, so I have all of my software and knowledge repositories anywhere, with or without internet, and can power/charge my computer via mobile batteries or compact, fold-up solar panels. :mrgreen:

debiman

Re: Thanks to the Debian CD Team!

#2 Post by debiman »

thanks for the feedback!
Argus wrote:All installed on a GDP Pocket netbook, so I have all of my software and knowledge repositories anywhere, with or without internet, and can power/charge my computer via mobile batteries or compact, fold-up solar panels. :mrgreen:
sounds like an interesting project. traveling?

Argus

#3 Post by Argus »

debiman wrote:thanks for the feedback!
Argus wrote:All installed on a GDP Pocket netbook, so I have all of my software and knowledge repositories anywhere, with or without internet, and can power/charge my computer via mobile batteries or compact, fold-up solar panels. :mrgreen:
sounds like an interesting project. traveling?
Woops! I had written a reply to this, and, ironically, posted and lost it when my internet was down and forgot to come back and rewrite it. :lol:

I am indeed traveling! But I have a number of uses for it:

Everyday/Common:
1) As might be apparent, my internet service at my apartment isn't the fastest or most reliable, and is down from time to time.
2) I'm out and about a lot, and like tinkering and working on my projects. That requires me to be able to install packages or search questions stack exchange at times, and being able to do that anywhere is really useful. Wifi can be sparse, even in the middle of Tokyo, and doesn't follow you when you're moving.
3) I do my fair share of traveling in places / countries where I don't have a phone / mobile data, or consistent access to wifi. Infact, I'll be in this boat a few weeks from now.

Not so common/Just for fun:
4) Camping/Through Hiking: While using your computer isn't really the point, it's nice to have one.
5) Preparedness: I grew up in a very hurricane prone region, and have spent my fair share of days (and in one case, weeks) without power. Also, you know, it's fun to be prepared for the inevitable zombie apocalypse. Debian is one of the most apocolypse ready distros out there, I do believe :wink:

I've also had a few times when I needed to setup or fix a computer when I didn't have internet, or the wifi wasn't working, or I broke internet connectivity by installing or misconfiguring something. That's happened on several occasions, and when the solution to fixing your internet involves downloading something, that can be... inconvenient :lol:

Anyway, I think this is a really cool feature of Debian that really contributes to its accessibility / portability. And those things always matter, despite their tendency to be overlooked/neglected.

michapma

#4 Post by michapma »

A netbook without 'net? :?

How sad... :(
I guess it's just a book then. :wink:

Whenever we run out of Toy Story characters, I'm all for the next Debian release being named Debian Zombie Apocalypse!

Thanks for your input, was a fun read.

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

michapma wrote:Whenever we run out of Toy Story characters, I'm all for the next Debian release being named Debian Zombie Apocalypse!
that will surely take a while, and the name might be quite suitable by then!
]:-)

michapma

#6 Post by michapma »

debiman wrote:that will surely take a while, and the name might be quite suitable by then!
]:-)
Okay fine, we'll postpone the apocalypse. <puts down phone>