Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sharing files

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Deblib

Sharing files

#1 Post by Deblib »

Hi, I wanted to ask your opinion on a matter. I live on horseback between two cities. In my habitual residence I have an external hard disk with movies, files, etc. and I would like to be able to use those files in my second residence without physically transporting the hard disk and without having my pc connected in the first residence all the time I am in the second one. What would be the best solution you can think of? In both residences I use Debian 9. Oh, thank you.

Bulkley

Re: Sharing files

#2 Post by Bulkley »

SSH maybe?

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

Deblib wrote:without having my pc connected in the first residence all the time I am in the second one.
that won't be possible.
how else is the second computer supposed to get at the files in the first computer?

anyhow, yes, ssh.
sshd on the server, ssh (and sshfs) on the client.
maybe also NFS.
there's more possible solutions.

Deblib

#4 Post by Deblib »

Are there network disks that work connected to the router independently of a PC? It would be a good solution ...

Dai_trying

#5 Post by Dai_trying »

Many routers have a usb slot for hosting a shared device but it's something I haven't needed to use and I would imagine different manufacturers would have different implementations. If you connect your external drive to the router and go to your router settings there should be some options available.
Also another option would be to use cloud storage, something like Dropbox or similar would give you global access.

Segfault

#6 Post by Segfault »

There are lightweight web servers, like webfs, great for serving static content, even password based authentication is available. You still need at least a RPi to connect this hard drive to.

alan stone

#7 Post by alan stone »

debiman wrote:
Deblib wrote:without having my pc connected in the first residence all the time I am in the second one.
that won't be possible.
how else is the second computer supposed to get at the files in the first computer?
Intel ME/vPro perhaps? Or AMD's equivalent? Or thru an NSA connection? Could ask here how to proceed.:mrgreen:

EDIT: added an alternative.

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

Deblib wrote:Are there network disks that work connected to the router independently of a PC? It would be a good solution ...
yes, i think so.
i think you have to set it up through your router and it has nothing to do with debian (unless the router is running straight debian - very unlikely).

pylkko

#9 Post by pylkko »

I have done exactly what you want to do. I have placed flash media on my roouter's USB port and shared that with NFS on the WRT(Linux os) running on it. Then ran openvpn on the router, so VPN in and then it is like I was on the local network.

because the simple MIPS processor on the router is kind of slow for some workloads (Anything else than passing data along for which.it has specialized hardware) I have also, at times, attached cheap ARM boards on the network as they can be kept running with an incredibly small amount of electricity.

Segfault

#10 Post by Segfault »

NFSv3 over internet is not a good idea, use NFSv4 if you have no static HTTP server option available.

pylkko

#11 Post by pylkko »

Well, I don't know if allowing VPN access to a local network with a local NFS server can or should be considered "NFS over internet" in any case?

alan stone

#12 Post by alan stone »

This perhaps: Autofs and sshfs? See also here.